Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: greater name recognition throughout the world?
Chicago 76 49.03%
San Francisco 79 50.97%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post

I am not gonna waste anymore time with some who can't argue fairly.
Ive given you several chances to make your case but instead you dont reply with stats or links--nothing except your personal opinion.

And you call me a booster? Ironic.

Quote:
Both cities are amazing and internationally recognized.
Ive already stated that several times in this thread.

Quote:
Chicago wins in some categories and SF wins in other categories
Sure.

Quote:
but to come to a consensus that the entire world knows SF much more is absurd.
Then email these people and tell them they're absurd:

GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media, a division of GfK Custo
m Research North America, today announced highlights from the 2009 Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands IndexSM (CBI) report, which captures consumer perception of the image and reputation of 50 major cities worldwide.

The index measures the world’s perception of each city, which influences people’s choices on where to live, work and vacation,” says Simon Anholt, CBI founder.

The top 10 cities from the global survey are:
1 Paris
2 Sydney
3 London
4 Rome
5 New York
6 Barcelona
7 San Francisco
8 Los Angeles
9 Vienna
10 Madrid

Paris Tops Ranking in Global City Image Study; GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media and Simon Anholt Release 2009 City Brands Index

Quote:
And when I do try to show Chicago in some categories Chicago is more recognized you dismiss it as "American".
That was tongue-in-cheek. LOL No need to be so sensitive.

Quote:
I will continue to discuss this with people who aren't as narrow minded.
More irony. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,481 times
If we're going by Finance/Trade then it's definitely Chicago, if going by Tourism, its San Francisco.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:55 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Are there people really trying to argue that Chicago has more name recognition than San Francisco LOL the answer is no way, Chicagoans might feel their city is a big dog in the U.S. but when it comes to international recognition it falls waaay short sorry

NYC/LA
SF/Miami/DC/LV
Chicago

Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Are there people really trying to argue that Chicago has more name recognition than San Francisco LOL the answer is no way, Chicagoans might feel their city is a big dog in the U.S. but when it comes to international recognition it falls waaay short sorry

NYC/LA
SF/Miami/DC/LV
Chicago
Nice another SF booster. Hey Mclair18 I am sure you agree with him, right? You guys all have fun now!

Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
If we're going by Finance/Trade then it's definitely Chicago, if going by Tourism, its San Francisco.
Couldn't of said it better, Chicago is by far known more internationally for Finance/Trade, but you might get crucfied by someone because you didn't provide a link to prove it.

SF beats Chicago in tourism, I can agree to that too.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ive given you several chances to make your case but instead you dont reply with stats or links--nothing except your personal opinion.

And you call me a booster? Ironic.

Ive already stated that several times in this thread.

Sure.

Then email these people and tell them they're absurd:

GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media, a division of GfK Custo
m Research North America, today announced highlights from the 2009 Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands IndexSM (CBI) report, which captures consumer perception of the image and reputation of 50 major cities worldwide.

The index measures the world’s perception of each city, which influences people’s choices on where to live, work and vacation,” says Simon Anholt, CBI founder.

The top 10 cities from the global survey are:
1 Paris
2 Sydney
3 London
4 Rome
5 New York
6 Barcelona
7 San Francisco
8 Los Angeles
9 Vienna
10 Madrid

Paris Tops Ranking in Global City Image Study; GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media and Simon Anholt Release 2009 City Brands Index

That was tongue-in-cheek. LOL No need to be so sensitive.

More irony. lol
While I do like that list and think there is much to be gleaned from it, it is only ranking the overall "perception" of each city (and does a good job of that). It has little to no correlation with "name recognition". Otherwise we would have to believe that Sydney enjoys more recognition than London and NY, while Vienna, SF and Madrid have more recognition than Tokyo. Which is nonsense of course.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
While I do like that list and think there is much to be gleaned from it, it is only ranking the overall "perception" of each city (and does a good job of that). It has little to no correlation with "name recognition". Otherwise we would have to believe that Sydney enjoys more recognition than London and NY, while Vienna, SF and Madrid have more recognition than Tokyo. Which is nonsense of course.
Thank you! This is all so subjective. Vienna SF and Madrid would also have more recognition than Mosow, Shanghai and Hong Kong according to this list.

But most SF boosters, will probably say that it is true, that SF is more recognizable than Hong Kong, Shanghai and Moscow.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
This is all so subjective.
Cry me a river. This whoa-is-us because its all sooooooo subjective mumbo jumbo is getting tiresome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian
Or perhaps we Americans are not as informed about worldwide opinion as we think we are?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:15 PM

I posted this earlier:
Quote:
Here are some major events and social movements in the past 60 years that are commonly associated with SF and the Bay Area AND have had global implications:

1950s-Beat movement, the rise of counterculture.

1960s-Hippie movement, Summer of Love, Psychadelia

1970s-Environmental awareness, the rise of the gay rights movement(Harvey Milk)

1980s-the rise of personal computers, foodie revolution(google Alice Waters)

1990s-the rise of the information superhighway

2000s-the rise of social networking, e-commerce, and the ongoing evolution of personal devices(iPods and mP3s)

2010s-renewable energy is en vogue yet again, electric cars are now the rage yet again, OH, AND THE BAY AREA SINGLEHANDEDLY MADE THE US THE NUMBER 1 PLAYER IN GLOBAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS AGAIN-With iPhone and Android.

What would Chicago's timeline of major events and social/political/economic/cultural movements with global implications look like:

1950s-

1960s-

1970s-

1980s-

1990s-

2000s-

2010s-

Old 09-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Cry me a river. This whoa-is-us because its all sooooooo subjective mumbo jumbo is getting tiresome.

Or perhaps we Americans are not as informed about worldwide opinion as we think we are?
Or maybe we Americans are delusional on how great we really think our cities are to people internationally. This goes both for Chicago and SF.

When I see a survey that has surveyed all the billions of people on this Earth then I will believe it. Out of what 6 billion people, how many people did they survey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City