Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I'm going with...
Mexico City 23 24.73%
NYC 70 75.27%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Yeah, a lot of people automatically hear "New York" and just blindly assume Greatest at Everything in the whole universe. Really though, Mexico City is a beast. I don't really think NYC wins overall, in fact I'd pick Mexico City by a pretty good margin to be honest. Culture, History, Architecture, Nightlife...Mexico City wins handily. Other things like Amenities, PT and QOL are more even IMO.
I'm with you.

Actually besides 18Montclair and that testa guy it seems like the most of the rest of the respondents haven't even been to Mexico City.

Mexico City is a beast that very few cities in the world could dream of matching, NYC is one of them, but its not a landslide victory, if a victory at all.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
compared to NYC?

lol

Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
compared to NYC?

lol
Where's that "overrated cities" thread? I got some ammo to use against NYC right here.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times

Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Yeah, a lot of people automatically hear "New York" and just blindly assume Greatest at Everything in the whole universe. Really though, Mexico City is a beast. I don't really think NYC wins overall, in fact I'd pick Mexico City by a pretty good margin to be honest. Culture, History, Architecture, Nightlife...Mexico City wins handily. Other things like Amenities, PT and QOL are more even IMO.
No offense, but how can things like amenities and QOL be "more even" when NYC has an economy thats like 4-5 times larger than Mexico city and people making triple the money. Not to mention when you leave affluent parts of Mexico city you get into third world slums like these: File:Mexico City suburbs Cuautepec.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are only 30% of residents of Mexico city who enjoy the same standards of living as an average middle American.

The only part that Mexico City definitely wins at is history, since Aztecs founded it ~300 years before New Amsterdam.

Last edited by Gantz; 10-02-2012 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
You rant to much about NYC. Take us of your mind. Funny thing is Your post doesn't even correlate with the post your answering. YAWN. NYC Beas your town though that's all that matters

Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
No offense, but how can things like amenities and QOL be "more even" when NYC has an economy thats like 4-5 times larger than Mexico city and people making triple the money. Not to mention when you leave affluent parts of Mexico city you get into third world slums like these: File:Mexico City suburbs Cuautepec.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is like only 30% of residents of Mexico city who enjoy the same standards of living as an average middle American.

The only part that Mexico City definitely wins at is history, since Aztecs founded it ~300 years before New Amsterdam.
Before you pay that blogger any mind you should review his posts. Constantly bashes NYC. So it isn't a shock why your confused by some of his allegations.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I'm with you.

Actually besides 18Montclair and that testa guy it seems like the most of the rest of the respondents haven't even been to Mexico City.

Mexico City is a beast that very few cities in the world could dream of matching, NYC is one of them, but its not a landslide victory, if a victory at all.
ScrantiX: Interesting thread. I've been to Mexico many times but NEVER to Mexico City. I have ALWAYS wanted to go. Do you mind saying when the last time was that you were there?

I've met a few people from the D.F. recently and they have cautioned me about going there or at least suggested not traveling alone there. What are your thoughts on that?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
You rant to much about NYC. Take us of your mind. Funny thing is Your post doesn't even correlate with the post your answering. YAWN. NYC Beas your town though that's all that matters
Oh no! did you accidently catch a glimpse of the world outside your little bubble? Look away!

1) I don't rant about NYC, let's not get self-righteous here. NYC people on this site are some of the most condescending, arrogant, snobby d-bags out there. Example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
^^Look familiar?

2) Mexico City being a bigger city than NYC also affords it's people the same types of lifestyles to it's people. Sure, NYC being an American megacity is wealthier, and may have more people living on a higher standard but don't for a second assume Mexico City lacks any affluence itself. In fact, Mexico City is likely more important to it's own country than NYC. MC is among the highest standard in which one can live in Mexico. Funny story: The world went round and round and round and round before New York was even at the back of anybody's mind, let alone the front. Mexico City was apart of that world. Don't just go around thinking it's a 3rd world s**thole, it's not. Does it have slums? Yes. Does that represent the whole city/metro? Of course not.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
ScrantiX: Interesting thread. I've been to Mexico many times but NEVER to Mexico City. I have ALWAYS wanted to go. Do you mind saying when the last time was that you were there?

I've met a few people from the D.F. recently and they have cautioned me about going there or at least suggested not traveling alone there. What are your thoughts on that?
My last time was 2008 and I didn't have any problems there. From what I gather like most large cities it also has its good areas and bad areas and the number of "slums and third world conditions" are being grossly exaggerated in this thread to make Mexico City look inferior to NYC. I stayed near the tourist and historical places, I stayed in the Polanco area because it was close to the heart of Mexico City's Chapooltec park where its easier finding something to do. I wouldn't go alone though, it can feel like too much if you're alone and cant speak Spanish well or haven't ever been before, the city just swallows you up (more than even NYC).

You wont have any worries about any sort of danger in areas like Santa Fe, San Angel, Polanco, Condesa, Roma, Centro Historico because they have heavy police patrol and guards, these areas are popular for tourists, locals, residents, and wealthy Mexican businessmen.

All the areas for tourists near the palaces of Montezuma, the rodeo and bull pins, historic Alameda park, Chapooltepec park are all safe and about as dangerous as any tourist spot in any other large city in the world like Seoul, Beijing, Berlin, etc. Chapooltepec park is their version of central park, just like central you have your palaces, museums, lakes, reservoirs, animal petting area, magic shows, poetry, Mexican improv theaters, art, bazaars, and colonial historic neighborhoods around it. Canal tours, bull fights on the weekends, ancient gardens, paintings by Diego Riveira at the modern art museum, green chile pepper cuisines, and districts like Santa Fe as modern and versatile as any in the US.

Last edited by scrantiX; 10-02-2012 at 11:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City