Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Chicago 99 45.21%
Mexico City 72 32.88%
Toronto 48 21.92%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
You guys keep wanting to dismiss how poor and in what deplorable conditions a vast amount of people in MC live in!

I am done talking about the weather. It a fact that northern cultures stay more indoors and southern outdoors.

Four million people out of ONE slum is not a problem? How about a reality check?

Most of the people middle class? Really?
Yes, middle class by Mexican standards, absolutely. No one is dismissing that there are poor people in Mexico City. You act like you're sharing this incredible news that you just learned and no one else knew about. You're not. That's not the argument. The argument is that you are arguing that the entire worth of the entire city is completely nonexistent because of that one factor. That is nonsense and incredibly biased. It suggests a deeper agenda at play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Those are some of the more well-known central neighborhoods, but there are a LOT more than that that most tourists don't typically go to that are perfectly fine and not dangerous. I've personally never felt in danger, and I've gone all over the city, good and bad. Common sense goes a long way.
Yeah i was only in M.C for a week back in 2015 and i admit i was a tourist but those nabe's alone are worthy of a week to explore! It was a riot and honestly one of my favourite cities in the world to visit. Loved the nightlife in Zona Rosa I don't know why i was surprised - i shouldn't have been as i was visiting one of the worlds great megacities! Anyway i would love to explore more of it next time!

Old 05-07-2017, 09:44 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually in Zocalo, Polanco, Zona Rosa, La Condesa, Reforma i didn't feel unsafe even at night. As long as you use normal precautions i think M.C is pretty standard. This isn't to say i'd go to the barrios and try my luck or down unlit alleys at night but generally where most tourists go or nabe's in and around the core i felt pretty safe. I'm not detracting that M.C can be dangerous but heck - Chicago has its pretty bad parts and is surely up there in terms of violent places not just in the States but on a global scale. It may be more localized than M.C but the nabe's I mentioned are pretty substantial in population. M.C has a lot more people than either Chicago or Toronto. I just don't know why you would single out M.C in this regard yet sort of just dismiss the criminal woes that are happening in Chicago in relation. Just like Chicago, M.C is more than just crime and decay.
I never doubted much of what you two have stated but you both far lessen the reality of the vastness of the slums and the overall quality of life be it air and water pollution, traffic, education etc

The crime in Chicago is mostly localized and between gangs and lets not forget there are different type of crimes

Old 05-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah i was only in M.C for a week back in 2015. It was a riot and honestly one of my favourite cities in the world to visit. I don't know why i was surprised. Anyway i would love to explore more of it next time!
There's such an overwhelmingly negative perception of Mexico that I think most Americans are kind of shocked that they're not dodging bullets or riding donkeys or something. I've been here more than 6 years now and despite never having a single problem and had multiple friends visit, none of my family has been willing to do so. It's hard for some people to get past that perception, even if they have real-world examples that contradict it.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I never doubted much of what you two have stated but you both far lessen the reality of the vastness of the slums and the overall quality of life be it air and water pollution, traffic, education etc

The crime in Chicago is mostly localized and between gangs and lets not forget there are different type of crimes

You seem to be looking more for confirmation of what you already believe rather than really being open to hear anything different. For the 100th time, I don't dismiss or ignore all the very real problems. I'm just saying that there is far more to this place than just those issues. It's a complicated place, for sure, but I personally love it. I love Mexico in general. It's a place that gets to you and it becomes very hard to leave.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:50 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:

Of course that's true, but you won't get anyone with an agenda to promote Toronto, to admit that. If you take a few minutes to look at previous threads comparing Toronto to Chicago, you'll see exactly what I mean. Once you get them started, it keeps going, and going, and going.

Quote:

Oh i'm not dismissing the vastness of the slums or the air quality and pollution. I mean in a general sense both Toronto and Chicago are far cleaner and 'orderly' and simply richer cities. I just would use caution against applying really a 'Canamerican' standard to Mexico. Its still a developing and Latin American country and M.C has way more people than either Chicago or Toronto so probably more challenges. God knows Toronto is having a hard time with all the growth it is receiving and it is a long way off from M.C's population.

I also know that the crime is more localized and different - i'm just saying just like Chicago - M.C is more than what may be typically be represented. I certainly would adapt and prefer to live in Chicago no doubt and I've said that - its just hard not to give M.C a lot of credit for its attributes. I'm aware of its issues too

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There's such an overwhelmingly negative perception of Mexico that I think most Americans are kind of shocked that they're not dodging bullets or riding donkeys or something. I've been here more than 6 years now and despite never having a single problem and had multiple friends visit, none of my family has been willing to do so. It's hard for some people to get past that perception, even if they have real-world examples that contradict it.
Don't know what kind of Americans you know but I have traveled extensively worldwide.

Real world example you fail to see are the miles and miles , hills and hills of SLUMS! (never stated that this is all in MC). That alone puts MC far below the other two in my book and as numerous others also have stated

OK, time to call it a day,,,.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Of course that's true, but you won't get anyone with an agenda to promote Toronto, to admit that. If you take a few minutes to look at previous threads comparing Toronto to Chicago, you'll see exactly what I mean. Once you get them started, it keeps going, and going, and going.
Nobody is doing that yet... Why introduce the idea as if to ask for it?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:56 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Nobody is doing that yet... Why introduce the idea as if to ask for it?
In time, it will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City