Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 05:06 PM

109 posts, read 405,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Make sure you come back again. I respect the fact that you actually formed your opinion of the city ( be it good or bad) based on you actually visiting. Many people have not been and judge based on the media.
Thanks, *Sweetkisses!*
Really, the best way for me to judge a place is to spend some time there for a few days and experience the ambiance and local culture. I've read about how unfriendly the people in Philadelphia are supposed to be, but I didn't have one bad encounter there. Everyone was gracious and good-humored. I certainly will be back again, and very soon. There is so much to see and do there, and I still have a lot of things on my list. (There's also an amazing Cuban restaurant that I can't wait to get back to!)
Best wishes, B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
all i know is grpowing up in southern ct, we despised that part of new england.....

i really don't care for the yanks or mets or phils either...

go nets!!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 52,692 times

Clock of the Custom House Tower at night.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 PM

172 posts, read 843,691 times
I would have to say Philadelphia. Okay boston does have the nice ocean appeal, but that's all... it is a nice city but not as good as Philadelphia, period. Here are the reasons it is better
-It is bigger; it has a way better skyline, way cooler buildings, much more city-like and is very much with the times. It is in fact very modern.
-The sports teams; sure only the Philadelphia Phillies have won recently, which is no where compared to the boston teams championship wins, but Philadelphia has more spirit. I have bee to both cities when their teams are in the superbowl, world series, etc. Philadelphia is so much more happy, and peppier than boston, which is so much more of a dead city.
-Food; Philadelphia has the famous, and best Cheesesteaks in the world! yeah, from Pat's and Genos, chubbies, etc, you name it, if it is in Philadelphia, it is good. Boston has seafood, but it is so overrated! Philadelphia also has real soft pretzels, and hoggies.
-Overrated; Boston is so overrated it isn't funny. They are seen as one of the cities along with New York and Chicago, and Las Angles, but it really isn't. Matter of fact, Philadelphia destroys boston in that category. Larger population, better buildings, more fun; Philadelphia has everything better than boston in what a true large city's definition is.
-The American Commerce Center; it will be the third largest building in the country, 5th in the world once the two other buildings in New York and Chicago are built. Does boston have anything to compete with that? nope. The American Commerce Center is 1510' tall, taller than the empire state building, world trade centers, and the sears tower, petronas towers, and any other currently built building in America. Philly is great in that category.
-Crime rate; philly is blamed for such a bad murder rate, and is said to be the reason it is unattractive to people like tourists. But how can that be if the only way it will effect tourists is if they take an non-existing tour bus through the deep, deep depths of the north, north Philadelphia. Really it is thug killing thug in their own houses, come on, really, Philadelphia has no right to be blamed for that.
-Septa; septa is great, better than T. This is because there is so much more of it. A pedestrian could miss their bus, that they needed to catch for an important event or what ever, and just have to wait another fifteen minutes to ten minutes for one of the many buses running their routes. Philadelphia's mass transportation is great, and just keeps getting better every year.
So there it is. There are more, but I don't feel like even getting into more so that should be punch to the face to those who think they know Philadelphia when they really don't. Philadelphia is way, way, way, way, way better it shouldn't even be a competition.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:33 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspeople View Post
I would have to say Philadelphia. Okay boston does have the nice ocean appeal, but that's all... it is a nice city but not as good as Philadelphia, period. Here are the reasons it is better
-It is bigger; it has a way better skyline, way cooler buildings, much more city-like and is very much with the times. It is in fact very modern.
I disagree that Philadelphia is much more city like than Boston; Boston has some of the densest streets in the country. Boston not modern?

Quote:
-The sports teams; sure only the Philadelphia Phillies have won recently, which is no where compared to the boston teams championship wins, but Philadelphia has more spirit.
Philadelphia has more spirit, is this a joke? I've heard Red Sox fans are more obsessed than Pittsburgh Steelers fans (and being from Pittsburgh, I know how rabid our fans are). In addition, the Red Sox sell more stuff than virtually any other team in any sport (in the U.S.). Boston supports their teams and aren't as nasty as Philly fans.

Quote:
-Food; Philadelphia has the famous, and best Cheesesteaks in the world! yeah, from Pat's and Genos, chubbies, etc, you name it, if it is in Philadelphia, it is good. Boston has seafood, but it is so overrated! Philadelphia also has real soft pretzels, and hoggies.
Your from Philly and you can't even spell hoagie right?

Quote:
-Overrated; Boston is so overrated it isn't funny. They are seen as one of the cities along with New York and Chicago, and Las Angles, but it really isn't. Matter of fact, Philadelphia destroys boston in that category. Larger population, better buildings, more fun; Philadelphia has everything better than boston in what a true large city's definition is.
Better buildings? Ever hear of Beacon Hill? Back Bay? North End? Charlestown? I guess not, because this is rather debatable.

Quote:
-The American Commerce Center; it will be the third largest building in the country, 5th in the world once the two other buildings in New York and Chicago are built. Does boston have anything to compete with that? nope. The American Commerce Center is 1510' tall, taller than the empire state building, world trade centers, and the sears tower, petronas towers, and any other currently built building in America. Philly is great in that category.
Who cares that Philadelphia will have a much larger building than anything in Boston? Atlanta has a larger buildings than anything in Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington DC, etc. Is Atlanta automatically better than those cities?

Quote:
-Crime rate; philly is blamed for such a bad murder rate, and is said to be the reason it is unattractive to people like tourists. But how can that be if the only way it will effect tourists is if they take an non-existing tour bus through the deep, deep depths of the north, north Philadelphia. Really it is thug killing thug in their own houses, come on, really, Philadelphia has no right to be blamed for that.
Again, I have to ask if this is a joke...well, is it? As far as I'm concerned crime is Philly's only major problem, and you can find it all over the city. Ever been over to the Philly forum? There are lots of people there who will testify to witnessing crime in their neighborhood on a routine basis. Philly has high crime, therefore it should be blamed for it.

Quote:
-Septa; septa is great, better than T. This is because there is so much more of it. A pedestrian could miss their bus, that they needed to catch for an important event or what ever, and just have to wait another fifteen minutes to ten minutes for one of the many buses running their routes. Philadelphia's mass transportation is great, and just keeps getting better every year.
So there it is. There are more, but I don't feel like even getting into more so that should be punch to the face to those who think they know Philadelphia when they really don't. Philadelphia is way, way, way, way, way better it shouldn't even be a competition.
I think you have no shred of objectivity if you think there is not competition between Boston and Philadelphia. Do you realize that Boston has Harvard, MIT, Tufts, BC, BU, etc., etc., etc. Boston is classier with a higher per capita GMP. Much more of a world class oriented city.

BTW, Philly is one of my favorite cities...so don't ***** at me.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM

Red face what ainulinale

cool ainulinale, philly is one of my favorite cities too! and this is a debate, and I'm sorry you disagree with my opinions so much, but hay, it's just what I think. I think Philly is better than boston, sorry.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:17 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
There is absolutely no comparison between Boston and Philly in terms of passion for sports, and I'm a lifelong Sox fan. Philly wins that easily.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
There is absolutely no comparison between Boston and Philly in terms of passion for sports, and I'm a lifelong Sox fan. Philly wins that easily.
JHG722, you really know what you are talking about!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 PM

49 posts, read 157,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recent parolee View Post
Speaking of kidding, your post made me chuckle. All you need to know about which city is more exciting and more desireable to live in is to compare real estate prices (in both the city proper and in its suburbs). Philly, despite being more conveniently located in the heart of the Northeastern corridor, has real estate prices that are MAYBE 90% of Boston's. Whether you want to talk about prices in the most exclusive neighborhoods, median prices for the city as a whole, prices in the most exclusive suburbs, prices in mid-range suburbs -- it doesn't matter. Boston is more expensive. Why? Simple. Supply and demand. People move TO Boston. People move FROM Philly.

And yes, Philly has several buildings taller than Boston's tallest. But we are talking about SKYLINE. According to Wikipedia, Boston's 10th tallest skyscraper is 525 feet tall. Philly's 10th tallest building is 500 feet tall. Boston's 20th tallest building is 477 feet. Philly's is 434 feet. For some reason, the list on Wikipedia for both cities ends at the 26th tallest building. For both cities, the 26th tallest building is 400 feet -- but Boston has TWO buildings that are 400 feet. As you noted, Boston is a more compact city. So its skyline is more impressive than Philly's, since its skyscrapers -- taller, on the whole -- form a more cohesive whole, instead of being sprinkled all over the place. As for architecture, I will put up Boston against Philly any day. Both have their charms. But the most beautiful building in EITHER city is Boston's Custom House Tower. Google it and be awed.

No offense, but you are quite misinformed. Philadelphia not only has significantly more skyscrapers than Boston, but taller ones also. Your argument's premise is a bit odd - that being that Boston's 10th and 20th tallest are bigger than Philly's 10th and 20th. What does that prove? Philly has 4 buildings taller than Bostons tallest (790ft). Philly's tallest is almost 200 feet taller than Boston's tallest. Furthermore, Philadelphia has at least 114 buildings over 200ft compared to only 75 in Boston over 200ft.

Check out Emporis.com to see that your statement that Boston's skyline being larger and taller than Philadelphia's holds no water.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
*Yawns* Mine is bigger than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City