Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area would be best for me?
Denver 28 43.08%
Houston 27 41.54%
Orlando 10 15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Lol @ Houston being liberal.
Its a very liberal city in the central area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I disagree with Valenti on two things.

The Gay population in Houston is not entirely in the western part of the inner loop. It stretches far into the south west and as far north as Greenspoint. The old folks like Val at an ancient 22 don't know this must Greenspoint and third ward are heavily gay areas and has their gay nightspots. I am not sure if it's still open but there were the hispanic gay clubs like inergy near chimney rock. That area has a surplus of granny street Walkers too. I agree that the west part of the inner loop was the spot for gay white youth, but it wasn't for everybody. The main black spots were on the east. That is changing now. Clubs like TV in Montrose has been attracting a variety of people (including republican politicians, lol).

Also, I lives in Austin, Austin in no way has a larger gay population than Houston. Presbyterians yes, percent no.

As for the other cities the OP mentioned. I lives in Orlando. It was the first city I lives in the us. I like it, but agree with Val, Houston and Denver offers a more complete experience.
Houston has a larger gay population in absolute numbers. Austin has a higher percentage of gays.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,901 times
I'd recommend Miami, Los Angeles, Atlanta, or San Francisco over Austin. But Austin does have the better job market.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Houston has a larger gay population in absolute numbers. Austin has a higher percentage of gays.
Exactly what i said!!!! Before my phone changed it.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
And Denver was low 70's yesterday! What is your point? It gets to 60's and 70's quite often in Denver in the Winter! Plus more sunny days!

Old 12-07-2012, 08:42 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Depends on what you want.

For outdoor activities, Denver: no contest. The winters in Houston are nice, but for 8 months of the year it is muggy, buggy and hot and it is always flat and mostly ugly. The front range is gorgeous and hiking, skiing etc

For everything else, Houston by a long way: much better intellectual and cultural life, much better theater, art museums, restaurants, universities, independent bookstores. It sprawls but Houston has a lot. Also much more cosmopolitan and diverse than Denver.

And gay life, Houston by a country mile. Gay Denver is rather lame. Much bigger and better gay pride parade in Houston, at least double the number of gay bars and clubs. Also the largest city in the history of the world to elect an openly lesbian mayor, and you are fifty miles from the gayest small city in the U.S. after Provincetown and Key West, viz, Galveston.

Orlando is a huge step below either of these cities.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
What? Denver has a higher percentage of College educated people. The 2nd largest PAC in the nation. One of the best bookstores in the Nation (tattered cover). Not to mention better mass transit! I am aware of Houston and its theater district! Kudos on that! Denver also has Red Rocks, which is bar none the best outdoor concert venue on Earth! Voted as such so many years in a row, that they named the damn award for it! We also just opened up and house the entire collection of clyfford still's works! I give the edge to Houston still, but not by much! So no, it is not houston by a long way! Especially for a city that is twice as big as Denver!

Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Depends on what you want.

For outdoor activities, Denver: no contest. The winters in Houston are nice, but for 8 months of the year it is muggy, buggy and hot and it is always flat and mostly ugly. The front range is gorgeous and hiking, skiing etc

For everything else, Houston by a long way: much better intellectual and cultural life, much better theater, art museums, restaurants, universities, independent bookstores. It sprawls but Houston has a lot. Also much more cosmopolitan and diverse than Denver.

And gay life, Houston by a country mile. Gay Denver is rather lame. Much bigger and better gay pride parade in Houston, at least double the number of gay bars and clubs. Also the largest city in the history of the world to elect an openly lesbian mayor, and you are fifty miles from the gayest small city in the U.S. after Provincetown and Key West, viz, Galveston.

Orlando is a huge step below either of these cities.
Really? Houston is more intellectual than Denver? That's strange considering a significantly larger percentage of the Denver population has a college degree.

But of course, I know I won't like the climate in Denver. It's too cold for too long there. To me, anything under 60 is COLD. On the flip side, I am not a big fan of high humidity combined with heat, but I think I'd rather take that than 40's and sunny and dry.

I'm not sure I would like Houston's diversity though. It seems skewed way too much toward non-white people. Coming from New England, that would be a major thing to get used to. Plus, I only date white men (just a personal preference). I hope it's not like Miami, where Spanish is the prevalent language spoken. I hope it feels like a real American city.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Really? Houston is more intellectual than Denver? That's strange considering a significantly larger percentage of the Denver population has a college degree.

But of course, I know I won't like the climate in Denver. It's too cold for too long there. To me, anything under 60 is COLD. On the flip side, I am not a big fan of high humidity combined with heat, but I think I'd rather take that than 40's and sunny and dry.

I'm not sure I would like Houston's diversity though. It seems skewed way too much toward non-white people. Coming from New England, that would be a major thing to get used to. Plus, I only date white men (just a personal preference). I hope it's not like Miami, where Spanish is the prevalent language spoken. I hope it feels like a real American city.
Given the racism expressed in this post, you probably won't like Houston or Denver for that matter which also has a significant Latino population. Stay a swamp yankee: you are clearly not sophisticated enough for a real city.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Given the racism expressed in this post, you probably won't like Houston or Denver for that matter which also has a significant Latino population. Stay a swamp yankee: you are clearly not sophisticated enough for a real city.
My post wasn't racist in any way at all. I lived in NYC and thought the diversity breakdown there was fine. But most people spoke English. My question simply was...is Houston a Spanish speaking city or is English the prevalent language? I just don't want to be a racial minority in the city I move to. I want to feel like I live in America...not Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City