Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
I think a big thing to consider when it comes to California v. Texas is the topography of both places. People are more willing to put up with the inefficiencies of huge populations in California because the geographical area is, well, a whole lot better. It's pretty and the climate is pretty enjoyable year round.

Texas, as much as I love it, isn't particularly a beautiful place, and the weather here is several orders of magnitude more insane than California's. Will people put up with the inefficiencies of huge population growth without the added bonus of natural benefits? I would think that as Texas reaches that tipping point, other, less populated places would start to look a lot more appealing to those without a built-in connection to Texas.

I also hope that, on an infrastructural level, Texas realizes the need to for better urban layouts. If we really are going to house this many people Texas needs to really rethink how its cities are built.
What good is topography & weather when you're struggling to make ends meet in a never ending up hill battle? Work 12 hour shift, spend 4 hours in traffic, go home, sleep 8 hours, repeat. That's not living, that's hell.

I'd rather live comfortably in a less desirable climate/topography & travel anywhere I wanted to than be stuck in a rut for the rest of my life, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
If estimates each year are questionable, why should projections many years in advance not be met with even more skepticism? Even the single-year estimates, spread over a decade, can be WAY off. There are simply too many things that can change even 5 years out to assume that things will remain constant.
Well, I don't really see the northern cities growing as fast as the southern cities....this is just a known fact....it looks right to me. Atlanta, D.C., Dallas, and Houston continue to dominate in raw growth.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:47 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
LOL Texas is one big sprawl that never ends. I bet it'll become just like the Inland Empire in Southern California (in other words, a vast land of sprawl rampant with unemployment, and poor people working lower-skilled jobs). Job growth simply cannot sustain that population. Bad forebodes lie in Texas' future.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:02 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
LOL Texas is one big sprawl that never ends. I bet it'll become just like the Inland Empire in Southern California (in other words, a vast land of sprawl rampant with unemployment, and poor people working lower-skilled jobs). Job growth simply cannot sustain that population. Bad forebodes lie in Texas' future.
That's TBD....Beyond popular belief from haters...Texas currently has some of the best employment opportunities in the country...Houston and Dallas are outgrowing other places and the unemployment rate isn't going up so how do you figure such? If you're betting on a negative future for Texas I think you're going to be in for a big surprise....

Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Thats ridiculous. You're trying to make sprawl=unemployment and bad job prospects. Look at the way our economies are growing vs. Southern California or most anywhere else and that will tell you different. With Houston, its the worldwide center of the energy industry thus setting its place. Dallas has an exceptionally diverse economy. Even if one sector failed, the others pick it up. Dallas will probably never fall on hard times even if its growth slows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City