Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you want to live in and why?
Indianapolis 48 40.68%
Detroit 70 59.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Let's compare pictures of the cities themselves, shall we? May give us a better idea of which one is preferable.

Detroit ^

Indianapolis ^

Indianapolis has a more modern downtown I believe, but much smaller. In time Indianapolis may pass up Detroit, but for now Detroit wins the downtown battle.

You decide!
Detroit's downtown is much nicer than the stereotype of the city, and I've never felt unsafe there. You can hop over to Windsor fairly quick for a different vibe, if you want. But I wouldn't give Detroit's downtown an edge just because of the number and age of buildings. I think Indy's downtown still has more of a pulse. It's like choosing between women -- sometimes the one with the better body isn't the better woman.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Detroit's downtown is much nicer than the stereotype of the city, and I've never felt unsafe there. You can hop over to Windsor fairly quick for a different vibe, if you want. But I wouldn't give Detroit's downtown an edge just because of the number and age of buildings. I think Indy's downtown still has more of a pulse. It's like choosing between women -- sometimes the one with the better body isn't the better woman.
Yes, it really does exceed the expectations most people have of the city based off of what they hear. The downtown area has low crime and is well policed.

What do you mean by Indy has more of a pulse? I don't think downtown Detroit is dead by any means, nor is Indy's. I just think they're two different classes of cities. Like comparing Chicago to New York City. Chicago is big, New York is bigger.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
This is a hard question to answer. I would rather live in Indianapolis than Detroit. However, I would rather live in Michigan than Indiana.
If I could live in Royal Oak or Gross Pointe then I'll go with Detroit. Though if it was an ultimatum to live within city limits then I guess Indy. Indeed living in Michigan sounds more appealing than Indiana. If given the option to visit either city then I'd definitely choose Detroit as it just seems to have more soul. I root for Detroit and hope that someday it gets its act together and has a rebirth and taps into its unlimited potential. Maybe they need an army of gay people to gentrify the place.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Yes, it really does exceed the expectations most people have of the city based off of what they hear. The downtown area has low crime and is well policed.

What do you mean by Indy has more of a pulse? I don't think downtown Detroit is dead by any means, nor is Indy's. I just think they're two different classes of cities. Like comparing Chicago to New York City. Chicago is big, New York is bigger.
Indy's downtown has more activity, as I see it. But I agree -- I wouldn't say downtown Detroit is dead. Detroit metro is certainly larger. As for the city proper, it has more bones, but it's hollowed out compared to Indy. But as others have noted, Detroit does have great suburbs. And it's close to the greatest city on Earth -- Toledo.

OK, just joking in that last sentence.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
It's really not surprising that Detroit's suburbs hardly get any attention because they're overshadowed by the heavily publicized problems of Detroit. It was probably about 10-15 years ago that people often had to say they lived near Detroit but aren't in Detroit, but in the last few years, there's been more of a cohesive regionalism pride.

The Fifth, Royal Oak Michigan - YouTube

NORTHVILLE MICHIGAN - YouTube

BERKLEY MICHIGAN - YouTube

DEARBORN MICHIGAN - YouTube

BIRMINGHAM MICHIGAN - YouTube

And that's not really all of the suburbs even, just the particularly yuppie-popular ones.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:

Carmel ^
I think a lot of Detroit's suburbs have a more established, old-neighborhood appeal. No offense, but these pictures of Carmel look like a newly opened Disneyland.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Detroit definite wins in the suburbs department. They have a very impressive stock.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think a lot of Detroit's suburbs have a more established, old-neighborhood appeal. No offense, but these pictures of Carmel look like a newly opened Disneyland.
None taken. Carmel is a much newer town, and most of its rise to fame took place in the last 15 years.

I think I'd much rather live in Indianapolis though...it's on a better track to a better future, Detroit and its metro area continue to shrink...not a desirable place to live. The schools in Carmel and Fishers are some of the best schools in the state. Plus Indianapolis is closer to other large cities, Chicago, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, St. Louis, etc.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:04 AM

240 posts, read 464,661 times
This past year, I've had the pleasure of visiting both cities for the first time. Both terrific midwest cities with friendly people and some really neat places to eat and drink. All things being equal, I would pick Detroit. It has some really stunning architecture and I like the density it has to offer over Indy's. Also, I feel that Detroit has some really unique things (Eastern Market, the People Mover, Detroit-style pizza) that trump Indy. That being said, Indy feels like a NEWER city (in the vein of Minneapolis), even though it's not exactly a spring chicken itself.

However, I did note that I'd pick Detroit with "all things being equal". Indianapolis is a city on the rise, and Detroit is the most quickly shrinking major city in the nation. If I was to have to be dropped off in either city and need a job, Indianapolis has an advantage in that regard, although it's great to see a profound re-commitment to downtown Detroit in recent years. One other advantage with Detroit is that I feel like I could have a more significant charitable and economic impact there than Indianapolis, and I would find that rewarding.

Either way, both really neat towns. However, I'd say in visiting both this year, I really liked Indy, but kind of fell in love with Detroit.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
It's really not surprising that Detroit's suburbs hardly get any attention because they're overshadowed by the heavily publicized problems of Detroit. It was probably about 10-15 years ago that people often had to say they lived near Detroit but aren't in Detroit, but in the last few years, there's been more of a cohesive regionalism pride.

The Fifth, Royal Oak Michigan - YouTube

NORTHVILLE MICHIGAN - YouTube

BERKLEY MICHIGAN - YouTube

DEARBORN MICHIGAN - YouTube

BIRMINGHAM MICHIGAN - YouTube

And that's not really all of the suburbs even, just the particularly yuppie-popular ones.
No offense meant, but I was not overly taken by Detroit's suburbs based on the videos you posted.

The only two appealing ones were Dearborn and Birmingham. The other ones look like some po-dunk country towns you find scattered across the midwest. They seemed alive and thriving, but very small and country like...not what you'd expect in a 4 million metro area suburb, didn't seem like that wealthy of a suburb either.

The last two looked nice, but I still don't think they compare with Carmel. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.