Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times

Advertisements

I think the Twin Cities are a good example of this. In Minneapolis proper the Green Party is competitive in municipal elections and the culture is strongly bohemian influenced while the suburbs send Michele Bachmann to congress and are full of mega churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:50 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,237 times
Charlotte and maybe Raleigh are the only ones I can think truly coexist.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:56 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,871 times
Of all the cities I've lived in, I'd say the Tidewater area of Virginia and San Antonio/Austin come quickly to mind. Great places to co-exist!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times
I tend to think that people coexist everywhere. I've certainly known fundamentalist Christians in the San Francisco Bay Area who seemed perfectly happy to be here, got along with their (gay and straight) coworkers etc. I think issues come up when someone tries to demand governmental approval of their viewpoint, such as posting the Ten Commandments in the town square.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Of all the cities I've lived in, I'd say the Tidewater area of Virginia and San Antonio/Austin come quickly to mind. Great places to co-exist!
Does Austin have a visible and comfortable conservative culture? Austin has pretty much become synonymous with social liberalism in the media and is usually mentioned alongside PNW cities. If its anything like the Pacific Northwest, you can be ostracized for openly expressing your faith which is why it doesn't qualify.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

I would also add Orange County, San Diego too. There are others outside the south as well.
Get real dude. You can smoke medical pot with a transvestite on the beach in Orange County or SD. That's decidedly NOT bible-belt conservatism. Do you even know what bible-belt conservatism is?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Does Austin have a visible and comfortable conservative culture? Austin has pretty much become synonymous with social liberalism in the media and is usually mentioned alongside PNW cities. If its anything like the Pacific Northwest, you can be ostracized for openly expressing your faith which is why it doesn't qualify.
I think Texas in general has always held traditional conservative values. If you are talking about the local coffee shop next to UT, maybe not. But in the burbs' you will definitely find plenty of bible thumping, boot wearing, god-fearin' and hard working folks. I loved the place.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
You can add Knoxville TN to your list. We also have sophisticated conservatives and liberal Christians.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Get real dude. You can smoke medical pot with a transvestite on the beach in Orange County or SD. That's decidedly NOT bible-belt conservatism. Do you even know what bible-belt conservatism is?
Yes I do.

Orange County and San Diego (metro) are about 3 million each, so there is a lot of variation.

And yes the beach areas definitely are anything-goes party scene.

yet there are major pockets of bible-belt like conservativism, that are no secret.

East San Diego, more specifically Lakeside, Santee only 10 miles inland or so, or very well known to be rednecky, mega-church, etc.

Orange County a little less so, but there are definitely inland pockets that are conservative such as Yorba Linda, etc. So maybe not side by side exactly but in close proximity.

But thats why I put them in as sort of. In the large southern cities, there is quite a bit of craziness going on: strip clubs, etc. but obviously in Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta there is a dose of bible belt culture.

BTW: dude, do you just follow my posts around and stalk my posts or something? Whatever, I just noticed you replied in some of the recent threads I posted.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Orange County can be every bit Bible Belt depending on where you are. Orange County has also produced some very right wing pastors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City