Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma City vs. Birmingham
Oklahoma City 55 56.70%
Birmingham 42 43.30%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times

Advertisements

I consider Oklahoma City and Birmingham to be somewhat comparable cities and are a pretty good match-up. Both are the largest in their state, both lack nearby mountains or beaches to give either one a distinct advantage, both are in poor, negatively perceived states, and both are relatively similar in size. How would you rank them in the following categories?

-Downtown (NO skyline discussion, but downtown vibe in general can be discussed)
-Nightlife
-Arts & Culture
-Diversity
-Sports
-Shopping
-Outdoor recreation
-Future Outlook

When all things considered, which of these cities would you rather live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
OKC might win most categories, but I'd rather live in Birmingham. It has enough to do to keep me busy, is more culturally relevant for me, and is closer to more places of interest for me. And while it still struggles to shake its Civil Rights-era image, that history is important to me personally and I consider the ways in which the city has capitalized on it to be an asset.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OKC might win most categories, but I'd rather live in Birmingham. It has enough to do to keep me busy, is more culturally relevant for me, and is closer to more places of interest for me. And while it still struggles to shake its Civil Rights-era image, that history is important to me personally and I consider the ways in which the city has capitalized on it to be an asset.
I don't think OKC wins in all of them.

OKC is the clear winner in economic outlook and sports, but I think the others are up for debate. Shopping clearly goes to Birmingham which has more upscale shopping than OKC does. Birmingham also has superior every day shopping such as Publix. OKC's retail market is pretty much held hostage by Wal-Mart.

I am sure Birmingham probably has more historic neighborhoods and architecture than OKC does. For one, its an older city, and secondly, I don't think Birmingham purposely razed their downtown in the 1960s like OKC did. Somebody correct me if I am wrong on that.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't think OKC wins in all of them.

OKC is the clear winner in economic outlook and sports, but I think the others are up for debate. Shopping clearly goes to Birmingham which has more upscale shopping than OKC does. Birmingham also has superior every day shopping such as Publix. OKC's retail market is pretty much held hostage by Wal-Mart.

I am sure Birmingham probably has more historic neighborhoods and architecture than OKC does. For one, its an older city, and secondly, I don't think Birmingham purposely razed their downtown in the 1960s like OKC did. Somebody correct me if I am wrong on that.
Is Birmingham really an older city? You know it was founded after the Civil War and boomed shortly thereafter.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Is Birmingham really an older city? You know it was founded after the Civil War and boomed shortly thereafter.
Yeah. Oklahoma City was founded in 1889, and boomed in the early 20th century.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Yeah. Oklahoma City was founded in 1889, and boomed in the early 20th century.
Oh wow, so they are both about the same age. Cool.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I think Oklahoma City would be more diverse due to its Native American and Hispanic presence. OKC also has an NBA team, along with similar minor league sports.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
-Downtown (NO skyline discussion, but downtown vibe in general can be discussed)

Birmingham by a lot. Bricktown is a nice start, but Birmingham just has a much more vibrant downtown overall and it doesn't feel as manufactured as bricktown and seems to have far nicer residential areas near downtown.

-Nightlife Although I'm too old to get into the party scene, I would guess Birmingham, they have a rather large urban university scene right next to downtown which I'm sure would contribute to a vibrant nightlife.

-Arts & Culture Tie. Both seem pretty close here, but I might give the edge to Birmingham with their arts district, urban colleges etc.

-Diversity Tie. I think Birmingham may be less segregated, but I have really no idea.

-Sports OKC . NBA (and their rabid support of the team) puts them over Birmingham.

-Shopping Birmingham

-Outdoor recreation Not a fan of either state really, but I will go with OKC because it's closer to Colorado, a state I would love to be within driving distance again which trumps even the closer smoky mountains for me.

-Future Outlook OKC, or at least that what everybody seems to predict. Seems like the wide open cities of the plains (Dallas, Houston, OKC etc grow the fastest)

When all things considered, which of these cities would you rather live in? This would not be easy. I guess OKC, but only because it would be closer to my hometown of Kansas City and put me closer to more of the country as I travel tons. But both cities would be too small for my liking.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Birmingham by a lot. Bricktown is a nice start, but Birmingham just has a much more vibrant downtown overall and it doesn't feel as manufactured as bricktown and seems to have far nicer residential areas near downtown.

-Nightlife Although I'm too old to get into the party scene, I would guess Birmingham, they have a rather large urban university scene right next to downtown which I'm sure would contribute to a vibrant nightlife.

-Arts & Culture Tie. Both seem pretty close here, but I might give the edge to Birmingham with their arts district, urban colleges etc.

-Diversity Tie. I think Birmingham may be less segregated, but I have really no idea.

-Sports OKC . NBA (and their rabid support of the team) puts them over Birmingham.

-Shopping Birmingham

-Outdoor recreation Not a fan of either state really, but I will go with OKC because it's closer to Colorado, a state I would love to be within driving distance again which trumps even the closer smoky mountains for me.

-Future Outlook OKC, or at least that what everybody seems to predict. Seems like the wide open cities of the plains (Dallas, Houston, OKC etc grow the fastest)

When all things considered, which of these cities would you rather live in? This would not be easy. I guess OKC, but only because it would be closer to my hometown of Kansas City and put me closer to more of the country as I travel tons. But both cities would be too small for my liking.
Houston isn't a plains city.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Houston isn't a plains city.
Not even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City