Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top big city to raise a kid?
Atlanta 2 6.45%
Boston 1 3.23%
Chicago 2 6.45%
Dallas 2 6.45%
DC 0 0%
Denver 5 16.13%
Houston 3 9.68%
LA 1 3.23%
Miami 0 0%
Minneapolis 9 29.03%
Philadelphia 3 9.68%
Portland 1 3.23%
San Diego 0 0%
San Francisco 1 3.23%
Seattle 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 PM

214 posts, read 410,498 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about where I want to raise a family so I began to wonder what city would provide the offerings that I need. The following criteria exists:

2m+ metro
Major sports
Diversified public, private and nonprofit sector
Proximity to something (national parks, other metros, water, mountains)
Niche (nationally recognized for something)
Liberal (non traditional interracial family)

*The only place I want to avoid is NY; been there and don't want to subject myself to parenting there by choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
You have a pretty broad set of criteria, which is good. Some have their drawbacks such as high COL, extreme weather, poor schools, etc but for the most part most of those cities meet your criteria. It sounds like you prefer major metros, so I'd say SF Bay Area, DC & Seattle would be good places to start. I've personally found interracial families can live anywhere these days (as far as major metros go), but of course the most accepting/less judgmental areas tend to still be out West.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
My vote is for Minneapolis. Great schools, lots of parks, good economy, and a big-ish city.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 PM

93,384 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Milehigh View Post
I've been thinking about where I want to raise a family so I began to wonder what city would provide the offerings that I need. The following criteria exists:

2m+ metro
Major sports
Diversified public, private and nonprofit sector
Proximity to something (national parks, other metros, water, mountains)
Niche (nationally recognized for something)
Liberal (non traditional interracial family)

*The only place I want to avoid is NY; been there and don't want to subject myself to parenting there by choice.
What about NYC suburbs?

Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about NYC suburbs?

Sometimes when you live in a place, you want to experience other places before you go back. I feel that way about Chicago, NY and Atlanta. So many other super cool larger cities in the US that I feel I should try before I start duplicating.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Depends. Do you want suburbs or city itself? Every city has good suburbs with good schools (well not everyone). The states for education tend to be in New Jersey, Minnesota, New York, Connecticut, PA, etc. As for city propers themselves... I would assume every city has good options for education your kids, but generally cities are not a good place to raise kids, although it can be done right just about anywhere.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Depends. Do you want suburbs or city itself? Every city has good suburbs with good schools (well not everyone). The states for education tend to be in New Jersey, Minnesota, New York, Connecticut, PA, etc. As for city propers themselves... I would assume every city has good options for education your kids, but generally cities are not a good place to raise kids, although it can be done right just about anywhere.
I agree with everything you said. I should have been more specific. We desire a city center. Obviously, that would constitute within city limits for whatever that's worth. I've been hearing great things about Seattle. I really like the Bay, Boston, Philly and DC. She went to med school in DC so that may be a stretch to revisit. SD and LA is where she would choose because of whether. I feel like I would get bored in SD and LA is a wild card. All I know is decisions are looming and city data is en vogue!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 PM

93,384 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I think a city not listed like Columbus OH would work.

Perhaps Pittsburgh's East Side, which has a more liberal vibe due to the University of Pittsburgh and supposedly Allderdice High in that area is pretty good. Squirrel Hill would probably be the specific neighborhood to look into and it has a good sized Asian population. Oakland and Shadyside are other neighborhoods nearby that would work. Carnegie Mellon is in that area as well.

Out of those listed, I agree with Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2013 at 08:36 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Milehigh View Post
I agree with everything you said. I should have been more specific. We desire a city center. Obviously, that would constitute within city limits for whatever that's worth. I've been hearing great things about Seattle. I really like the Bay, Boston, Philly and DC. She went to med school in DC so that may be a stretch to revisit. SD and LA is where she would choose because of whether. I feel like I would get bored in SD and LA is a wild card. All I know is decisions are looming and city data is en vogue!
Can't speak on other cities since I don't live there but the core of Philadelphia is safe, clean, vibrant, tons of things to do, even for kids (Please Touch Museum, Franklin institute, tons of parks, playgrounds and skateparks, tons of museums). On top of that, the public schools in the core tend to be top notch (Mastermen, Meredith, etc.). There is also Penn Alexander which is a school system run by the University of Pennsylvania. Also, there are a ton of fantastic private schools in the area. Tons of great restaurants and bars, tons of highrises or lowrises/rowhomes to live in (whatever you prefer). Would assume most other cities are the same and raising a kid in all cities would be a similar experience.

Of course, as you may know, Philadelphia is certainly a top notch medical city and your wife would have a slew of great medical institutions within walking distance if you lived in the core. Penn Medicine, CHOP, Thomas Jefferson, Hahnemann, etc.

All these cities are a great option.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Can't speak on other cities since I don't live there but the core of Philadelphia is safe, clean, vibrant, tons of things to do, even for kids (Please Touch Museum, Franklin institute, tons of parks, playgrounds and skateparks, tons of museums). On top of that, the public schools in the core tend to be top notch (Mastermen, Meredith, etc.). There is also Penn Alexander which is a school system run by the University of Pennsylvania. Also, there are a ton of fantastic private schools in the area. Tons of great restaurants and bars, tons of highrises or lowrises/rowhomes to live in (whatever you prefer). Would assume most other cities are the same and raising a kid in all cities would be a similar experience.

Of course, as you may know, Philadelphia is certainly a top notch medical city and your wife would have a slew of great medical institutions within walking distance if you lived in the core. Penn Medicine, CHOP, Thomas Jefferson, Hahnemann, etc.

All these cities are a great option.
It's weird because I see people bashing Philadelphia on here often and I wonder do they realize that it's a top 30 world city? It's certainly in our top 7 cities. We have a good friend in Rittenhouse Square, family in NY, and close friends in DC. It wouldn't hurt us at all with the world class medical community and respectable nonprofit sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City