Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Philadelphia 19 19.39%
Brooklyn 16 16.33%
Chicago 54 55.10%
Queens 7 7.14%
None 2 2.04%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,497 times

Advertisements

As I've already said, since Queens and Brooklyn are only components of New York City, this poll doesn't provide much valuable insight. But if you've spent a lot of time in the city there's no way you haven't encountered people who identify far, far more strongly with their borough as their home than they do with the city as their home. And why not? All except Staten Island have greater populations than most major cities in the US.

Your billing address doesn't necessarily equal your 'home', which is a far less tangible concept. In rural areas, for example, people may feel that a county or a geographic area of the state is their home, rather than the actual city who's borders they currently live in. Or they may live in an unincorporated part of a county, as I currently do. At any rate, if three individuals were planning on relocating to Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx respectively, I would never think to give them all the same 'Welcome to NYC' brochure if I wanted to give them an accurate image of what to expect in their daily lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
As I've already said, since Queens and Brooklyn are only components of New York City, this poll doesn't provide much valuable insight. But if you've spent a lot of time in the city there's no way you haven't encountered people who identify far, far more strongly with their borough as their home than they do with the city as their home. And why not? All except Staten Island have greater populations than most major cities in the US.

Your billing address doesn't necessarily equal your 'home', which is a far less tangible concept. In rural areas, for example, people may feel that a county or a geographic area of the state is their home, rather than the actual city who's borders they currently live in. Or they may live in an unincorporated part of a county, as I currently do. At any rate, if three individuals were planning on relocating to Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx respectively, I would never think to give them all the same 'Welcome to NYC' brochure if I wanted to give them an accurate image of what to expect in their daily lives.
I seriously have no idea where you're going with this, so I will attempt to put what I'm saying back into its intended context:

I don't think that one can realistically say that the criteria listed in this thread are somehow not things that are shared with all people in NYC any less than they are for all the people living in any other big city.

The concept of having more specific spots in a city that you think of as your 'home' is irrelevant, because that is also applicable to any big city.
For example, I grew up in Philadelphia (an actual city listed in this poll), and there are most definitely parts of that city that I would not specifically call 'home'. But that doesn't mean they're not places in my city, or that people in those places didn't grow up in the same city as me.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,497 times
If you have no idea what my point is, you can read post #22. I think this dead horse has taken enough of a beating for one day.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM

432 posts, read 609,964 times
Quote:
Well, yes and no. I agree that this poll is pretty pointless, as comparing an entire city to a single neighborhood or section is lopsided. However, due to the size and population, one can easily live in NYC and be meaningfully isolated from the other 4 boroughs. There's the obvious example (Staten Island), but they're only considered New Yorkers by default. But beyond that, a Park Slope mom would hardly think of Manhattan as her home. There are some in the Philly area, and certainly in New Jersey, for whom Manhattan plays a larger role in their life then it does for some people in Queens.
Well actually it isn't pointless as ou see brooklyn is beating THE ENTIRE city of Philly.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
criteria
-weather
-education(k-12)
-further Education
-diversity
-skyline
-entertainment
-diversity
-nightlife
-quality of life
-cost of living
-biggest bang for your buck
-crime
terrible poll -- at least as far as selection are concerned. Why didn't you just add Los Angeles and Sioux City as well? Can I deduct rep points?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM

432 posts, read 609,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
terrible poll -- at least as far as selection are concerned. Why didn't you just add Los Angeles and Sioux City as well? Can I deduct rep points?
How is it a terrible poll?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
How is it a terrible poll?
More the choices than the poll. Chicago frankly should not be in the poll and for that matter nor should Philadelphia. They both beat the living **** out of both burroughs (though I suspect you could make an argument for Brooklyn). They are cities whereas Brooklyn and Queens are burroughs of NYC. Finally, even given the obvious I just stated, who in their right minds would compare Queens to Philadelphia, much less Chicago.

I suspect you knew all this before you created the poll though, right? You have stars in your eyes with Brooklyn, don't you?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:

Why not?

It's that misconception that the boroughs are so much different when in fact we're one big entity. You are correct "Brooklyn" is where I am from. I was born and raised here. But I also know my city is New York, there's no difference, in fact it's interchangeable. You keep mentioning the population and density but that's all irrelevant because the boroughs can't make decisions on their own so that in itself shots down any borough being a city alone (in today terms). Not to say that we don't have the things mentioned in each category in each borough, however you can't exclude Manhattan because that's 'apart' of us. That's like saying some Manhattanites NEVER venture out into the other boroughs, which is false. The only other borough that WAS on track before joining the other 4 was Brooklyn. Hence why we have our own Downtown, historic parks/museums and huge population. But things changed when we annexed and the shift was focused on Manhattan.

The "New York" back in the day I'll admit was 'Manhattan' (Look at when Brooklyn joined the other 4 boroughs, what happened to the development). But if you research you'll see where that is shifting now. And I'm not talking about the whole "Brooklyn" brand. . .

The boroughs (4 of them) are still denser than all other major cities but that's the beauty of our city. We're all very dense, we all have different qualities but in the end it's all one city. So comparing boroughs to cities in a case like this isn't possible/accurate.

If we compare architecture, food, diversity, pace etc. that makes more sense..

Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
More the choices than the poll. Chicago frankly should not be in the poll and for that matter nor should Philadelphia. They both beat the living **** out of both burroughs (though I suspect you could make an argument for Brooklyn). They are cities whereas Brooklyn and Queens are burroughs of NYC. Finally, even given the obvious I just stated, who in their right minds would compare Queens to Philadelphia, much less Chicago.

I suspect you knew all this before you created the poll though, right? You have stars in your eyes with Brooklyn, don't you?
Why? He listed specific criteria:

criteria
-weather
-education(k-12)
-further Education
-diversity
-skyline
-entertainment
-diversity
-nightlife
-quality of life
-cost of living
-biggest bang for your buck
-crime

Those can all be compared easily. If it was something odder like which one is more influential or economically powerful, etc. then that'd be silly. However, seeing as how the criteria listed is mostly about how someone would experience living in those areas, I don't see what the big issue is.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
philly,bk & queens are very similar in a lot of aspects - that's a tough one

haven't been to chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City