Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:44 PM
M|L M|L started this thread

20 posts, read 152,147 times

Advertisements

I've been debating on whether to move out West and experience a different environment from where I currently am.

I'm a full-time student studying at a private business school here in Manhattan, New York. I've lived here pretty much all my life, everything here is relatively fast pace, with rare opportunities to truly enjoy what's around. Everything is always over the top and though New York packs some 8 million people, I may (or may not) get to meet/talk to only a handful of people in a given day. Of course, I've come to accustom to all this madness of New York, but I believe it's time for me to see what else is out there.

With that said, I'm considering a transfer to the University of Washington in Seattle. I've never been there, but I'd imagine there are many aspects of living that are similar (as I don't intend to have such a dramatic change) but at the same time contrastingly different.

For those of you who are somewhat (or very) familiar with one or both of the cities, what can you tell me about Seattle that are the same/different from New York in regards to such topics as - climate, transportation, cost of living, major attractions, celebrations/events, diversity, shopping, culture, nightlife, suburbs, outdoor activities, housing, and anything else that may be related to city living.

Thank you!!

Last edited by M|L; 07-25-2007 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,121 times
Default Not an easy one to answer.

As you well know, NY is pretty much on it's own as a city - not much analagous to it.

First off - UW is a fantastic school with a gorgeous campus. The surroundings are quite urban, with the best public transportation options outside of downtown Seattle in the U-district.

Cost of living - NY is without peer on this, but Seattle ain't cheap. You'll certainly get more room for the same money... probably more food & more drink too.

Seattle's public transportation options are rightly derided - your options within town are the bus, and the bus. There is one N/S rail link that spans Everett to Tacoma, but if you're at UW, it won't matter. There is a single light rail line from downtown to the airport that is scheduled to open in 2009 and is supposed to extend to UW by 2015 - we'll see about that actually happening.

Major attractions - Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, downtown shopping district, Pioneer Square, SAM, Museum of Flight, EMP. The regional attractions are more used by locals - the ample state parks, National Parks (Mt Rainier, Olympic, North Cascades), and waterways.

Nightlife - plenty of it within the city... not so much in the suburbs.

Diversity - Seattle will look overwhelmingly white to a New Yorker.

Culture - outdoor-oriented. If you like to ski, hike, boat, jog, bike, rock-climb, scuba dive... whatever, you'll find it here and like-minded people to do it with. Dark & wet winter weather necessitates you engaging in it and not hiding from it (plenty of people ***** about it... i suspect they don't participate in winter sports). Rains MORE in NY, but more often here, and you'll definitely see little sun from Nov-Feb. Big-time reading culture with great bookstores and a great library system.

Outdoor activities - anything you can think of. You can even frigid-water surf on the coast. Great skiing 1 1/2 hours away at Crystal... world-class skiing 4 1/2 hours away at Whistler.

Housing is still booming here... we tend to be 2-3 years behind national economic trends. Condos and townhouses are replacing single-family homes all over the city as developers try to cash in. You're more likely to find build quality in older (pre-war and 50's) homes, but you may have to update to that granite countertop yourself.

Bottom line - Seattle is a lot different than New York (what isn't?), but it's still a big city with it's own culture and plenty to do. You'll learn quickly how far you are from the rest of the country... us natives like it that way

Use your "NewYorkness" to your advantage - people keep to themselves more here and won't attempt to draw you in if you don't show interest. This can be seen as aloofness, but it's more the Scandinavian heritage of the area - self-sufficient, private folks. Get thee into as many like-minded social circles as you can -nobody will do it for ya.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:38 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
Saltydawg has given you a great comparison of the two. I would just add that even though Seattle isn't cheap, housing will be much more affordable than in NYC.

If you are used to NYC public transportation options and schedules, don't count on it in Seattle. Since it lacks a subway system, you will face the same bottlenecks any driver would by commuting by bus. Also, you won't find the availability of taxis that you do in NYC.

WA doesn't have a state income tax, which will make a big difference coming from NY. You are already used to a high sales tax so that's comparable.

Seattle's climate is very mild compared to NY. You won't see 4 seasons, but rather 9 months of gray days with drizzling rain and 3 summer months that are absolutely gorgeous with low humidity. Some people find Seattle can be cold in the winter, but I never wore my "winter coats" in Seattle. My raincoat with the liner sufficed.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:37 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Nightlife - plenty of it within the city... not so much in the suburbs.
If you are from NYC the ONLY area that will seem remotely familiar to you is Beltown and that scene gets old in a month, maybe two. All the lounges are there and within walking distance from each other but it's always the same scene: twenty dudes and one girl and oftentimes that girl will be a 6. Sometimes you will get lucky though but that's how it is overall IMHO.

Pioneer Square is okay if you like to dance more (Beltown is more for lounging and drinking). Here you will typically find the younger crowd (very early 20's) that commutes into the city from the suburbs for a good time during the weekends. They will usually come out with their friends so if you are wanting to meet people you will have to "break into" these cliques. It's a little easier to meet people in Beltown I think.

Sure there are other places like Ballard, Capitol Hill and Fremont but they will probably seem a little bit "hick" to you since you're from NYC. People here are a LOT more casual and love their flip flops. The only people that really dress up here are the guys! Generalizing again I know, but a lot of my friends have the same observations.

I moved here almost 2 years ago after having lived in downtown Chicago for 9 years so I guess that's what I'm comparing it to. Whenever I drive up to Vancouver, BC and visit my folks in Yaletown I can see a HUGE difference in the crowd when I compare it to Seattle. Heck, I think the crowd in downtown Kirkland is better, unfortunately, downtown Kirkland is usually only nice during the warmer months. My $0.02.

Sorry to sound so negative but I stand by it. I don't think things will turn around until all those condos are built and lived in but that's still probably 5 years away. Then again with Microsoft and Boeing being the big players here, I think the ratio of guys to girls may always be this way...

Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 AM

51 posts, read 267,175 times
Hey, bud, if you've lived most of your life in NYC, then it's time to see the world! I'd definitely recommend Seattle. In fact, I'd recommend you spend a year outside the US of A. You'll never forget the experience.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:34 AM

7 posts, read 61,608 times
I am a NYC native, visited here in 96 and fell in love with the area. I miss NYC sometimes, specially the subway system but every time I turn a corner and get a full shot of that water and the mountains I say to myself "I really live here!"

I moved here in 05. I had a few friends in the area before the move but have met some since my move as well. If you are a social person and younger you wont have too much trouble but it is a harder nut to crack when you are older or if you don't have any interests that put you in contact with people. When I feel like being social there is always something to do, tons of festivals, parades - every neighborhood has a parade or festival, art shows, concerts...bar scenes, museums...

There are many parallels to both cities, the weather, many people don't believe that it rains more in NY but its true. In the downtown, Belltown, Queen Anne area a lot of the architecture is similar to the NYC brownstones and like the previous poster mentioned the apts going condo and super pricey although not as expensive as NYC.

There's a Trader Joe's near the University and all sorts of great markets. Libraries, book stores, there is no shortage of shopping here, I have found most of my favorite NYC stores here, specially downtown, but I also like to shop the small business owned stores for their diversity, customer service like record stores, bookstores, bath soap stores, vintage stores..

The bus system in the University, Fremont, downtown, Belltown area rocks but if you are going from area to the other be prepared for the grid lock although buses do have special lanes in many areas not like NYC.

I lived in Belltown when I first arrived, loved the convenience of having everything at walking distance but it was very noisy, fire engines every 15 minutes, car horns...just like NYC and parking was a b****.

To find apt reviews try this site

Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters I found it very useful

NYC is a vibrant alive city, Seattle is a laid back friendly city that reaches out to its residents and tries hard. One question my east coast friends always ask me is 'Everyone always this friendly?'

I would say that most of the University district is safe to live in, just do your homework. I would advice renting month to month before you commit to a lease and since you are a New Yorker you probably already are pretty street smart, there's always going to be a bad apple or two, just keep your antennas tuned.

BTW, credit and rental history is very important here and they check, everywhere you apply they will charge you a background check fee which can run usually from 25. to about 40.

Craigslist is great place to find a place to live.

The things I love most about living here; the weather and gray skies, when they come, the past couple of years though there's been too much sun IMHO Availability of decent health care, organic food, environmental awareness, cleanliness, open mindedness of most residents, culture; different than NYC but
if you seek it ye shall find it. Pick up Weekend magazine, the free rag zine.

Things I'm not crazy about; traffic can get crazy on I-5 rush hours but the longer you are here you will learn what time of day to avoid it and what other roads to take. Homelessness, very evident in the downtown area, just like NYC. Apt living, these buildings in Seattle are not built solid the way NYC buildings were so they can be noisy, specially if you live under a family with young kids or partiers or heavy walkers...so if you are a light sleeper or have a night job try to rent a top floor apt but be aware that top floors are often times pricier, specially if there is a view. But there are some gems to be found if you look hard, sometimes it is easier just to drive around your favorite neighborhood for rental signs.

Last edited by schoolsgirl; 08-01-2007 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-01-2007, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 61,082 times
anyone that tells you that the cost of living is more in Seattle then NYC, is on crack. I've lived in NYC and surrounding area's, it's exspensive. You coming out to Seattle, not having state income tax and renting, you'll be saving some money.
They great thing about downtown Seattle, is that things (bars, rest., galleries, ect.) are not spread out all over like in NYC. You can take a cab ride 10 blocks for under $10, in NYC, you go 10 block in a cab and its more like $20.

Bottom line, west living is a bit different and I believe you'll find it cheaper then NYC. All the other things answered by earlier post on are right on.
Good Luck

Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
Quote:
nyone that tells you that the cost of living is more in Seattle then NYC, is on crack
why do i even bother...

city data is the new crack

Old 02-26-2013, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 32,942 times
This was a great read. I was just offered a study position at UW phd school of Ed. Ive lived in nyc for 5 years now, and am 28. Nyc sorta sucks, but Brooklyn is cool. So are the museums and culture. A little worried abt moving out west, tho I'm stoked to ski more. Thoughts?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:58 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
I'm going to go with New York, honestly I just saw Seattle for the first time a few weeks ago and it was sort of like a cowtown in a rainforest type of place. No thanks and I don't much care for the hiking and crap either, I'm not a hippie.

I'll take the big city of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City