Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best overall food scene?
Chicago 58 56.31%
Los Angeles 45 43.69%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities has the best food scene. I used to think it was Chicago, but exploring LA on yelp and looking at the wide range of places there, I am starting to reconsider this. Particularly some massive farmers markets that just don't exist in Chicago and very deep in ethnic offerings, deeper than Chicago it looks like, possibly even more delis as well and plenty of hot dog places. And my guess is LA would run the table on any hispanic, middle eastern or asian offerings over Chicago in every single category.

Chicago and SF are often for some reason on this board seen as the #2 food city behind NYC. And I'm not sure they deserve this. LA looks to be about in that same metric, especially if you were to discount Napa.

So what is it? Chicago? LA? Who has the better overall food scene?

High end
Mid Range
Ethnic offerings
Budget meals
Variety of Cuisines
Farmers Markets
Better Grocery Markets
Ethnic Markets...

And before anybody brings up the tired Michelin Guide argument... realize Los Angeles had a Michelin guide years before Chicago did, so they obviously thought it was good enough, as did Las Vegas. In fact, they picked SF, LV, LA and NYC before ever doing a Chicago guide.

Las Vegas had more 2 and 3 star restaurants in it's guide than Chicago, so did LA, albeit LA didn't have a 3 star, (but more 2 stars than Chicago) Chicago only had one three star, but how is the city's food scene going to ride the back of Achatz and Alinea? It can't.

I think mentioning Michelin is kind of bogus anyway b/c it only shows a handful of restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Which of these cities has the best food scene. I used to think it was Chicago, but exploring LA on yelp and looking at the wide range of places there, I am starting to reconsider this. Particularly some massive farmers markets that just don't exist in Chicago and very deep in ethnic offerings, deeper than Chicago it looks like, possibly even more delis as well and plenty of hot dog places. And my guess is LA would run the table on any hispanic, middle eastern or asian offerings over Chicago in every single category.
This is why I voted for LA. Our (born and raised Chicagoan) friend was blown away by the Hollywood Farmer's Market.

Overall both are great cities for eating, both high-brow, mid-range and low-end.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
For myself it's Los Angeles. But for overall prominence on the high end I'll say Chicago. So I fairly voted Chicago.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
This is no contest. Chicago all the way. I am underwhelmed every time I visit restaurants in LA. Honestly, if it were not for the constant Hollywood hype, the beaches, and the weather, LA would not be what it is today. The city itself is a big disappointment but the surrounding beach towns, places like Santa Monica, make it what it is.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:06 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Easily LA. LA is superior to Chicago in pretty much every category. It really isn't close.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
For myself it's Los Angeles. But for overall prominence on the high end I'll say Chicago. So I fairly voted Chicago.
This is pretty much what I feel too. I guess what pushed me over the edge for LA was the slightly better availability of ingredients for those that like to cook for themselves. Perhaps this is just perceived though.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,764 times
Chicago is better than LA
but neither is the best.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This is no contest. Chicago all the way. I am underwhelmed every time I visit restaurants in LA. Honestly, if it were not for the constant Hollywood hype, the beaches, and the weather, LA would not be what it is today. The city itself is a big disappointment but the surrounding beach towns, places like Santa Monica, make it what it is.
Which ones were you underwhelmed by?

And at this point is Hollywood really that hyped? Pretty much everyone thinks its a dump.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Both are great cities. Anyone who thinks it's "LA and it's not even close" is not familiar with anything at all. Chicago's food scene is rivaled only by NYC in my opinion. Los Angeles is a great food city, but again. Chicago wins. I grew up going to LA every year of my life for the first 22 years of my life. My dad is from there and all of his side is from there. Great food city? Yes. Better than Chicago? No..but it's still one of the best food cities in the US. I do prefer the overall Asian food of LA though, that's for sure. The west coast is pretty tops for that.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-fo...-cities-122210

Last edited by marothisu; 02-26-2013 at 09:23 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Easily LA. LA is superior to Chicago in pretty much every category. It really isn't close.
Not true! Very arrogant and ignorant statement. I think Chicago is better, but LA is just as good, but Chicago is more my style in food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City