Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More liberal state Colorado or Oregon
Colorado 27 35.53%
Oregon 49 64.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:48 PM

256 posts, read 541,496 times

Advertisements

I believe as a Swing state Colorado is done as a swing state. Anyways I would say Colorado is more liberal than Oregon because Colorado has Same Sex Marriage and Marijuana As for towns here is what I say

Portland is more liberal than Denver

Boulder and Eugene are equal

I going to vote for Colorado

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 03:06 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Colorado. Oregon, at least Portland and Eugene are progressive, not liberal. Progressive = control, liberal = freedom.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:38 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Oregon is very liberal in its laws concerning strip clubs...

It's actually in the Oregon Constitution: "No law shall be passed prohibiting the nudie bar or restricting the right of the people to throw one dollar bills at strippers."

It was further demonstrated in the landmark Oregon Supreme Court Case, The People vs. Irving "Irv the Perv" Kowalski...

Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
You forgot to mention the really liberal mountain towns of Aspen,Telluride,Breckenridge,Nederland,Ward,Manito u Springs and at least a half a dozen crunchy granola mountain towns. Boulder and Aspen have had open in your face marijuana use since the 60's. Denver may not be as hippie although it certainly was in the 70's, but it's very eco yuppie liberal. Colorado Springs is the only true conservative town of size in Colorado. Douglas County(SE suburbs) of Denver are conservative, but California conservative..think Orange County. Rural Western slope is a toss up...and of course Boulder is still thirty five miles surrounded by reality. The die hard conservatives in Colorado are well, dying off.

Last edited by Scott5280; 03-13-2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM

443 posts, read 878,101 times
Outside of their respective big cities and college towns, both States are pretty conservative. But Portland is more left-wing than Denver, so I'd give the edge to Oregon.

Also, Oregon has almost a libertarian approach and pretty lax laws and no sales tax.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
I believe as a Swing state Colorado is done as a swing state. Anyways I would say Colorado is more liberal than Oregon because Colorado has Same Sex Marriage and Marijuana As for towns here is what I say

Portland is more liberal than Denver

Boulder and Eugene are equal

I going to vote for Colorado

thoughts?
Well, on the marijuana issue ... Oregon was first to decriminalize marijuana, and has had medical marijuana since 1998. I was surprised that it didn't pass on the last vote, but heard it was due to the law being badly written. Though this article, puts an interesting spin on why it didn't pass. Seems Washington & Colorado got some big funding, while Oregon was an all-local effort.

And let's not forget assisted suicide.

But ... outside of the Willamette Valley, I'd say the rest of Oregon is pretty conservative.

Can't say much about which is more liberal, as I don't know enough about Colorado's politics as a whole.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:09 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,625 times
Oregon is very liberal in most of its cities. Colorado liberalism pretty much stops in the inner ring suburbs of denver and the 2 major college towns they have. Denver's suburbs to me seemed very relgious but peaceful. Most places in oregon just seem more liberal then most of america (except medford and bend).

Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times
Western Oregon is mostly democrat, with the execptions of Medford and few smaller towns, though the coast is pretty liberal. Eastern Oregon is mostly republican, but they only account for 1/6 of the state's population.

Colorado is liberal in Denver (half of it's suburbs are conservative though), Boulder, Manitou, and some of the mountain towns. Other than that the state is pretty red. It's voted red almost consistently until Obama, although they're more of a libertarian sort of conservative in general.

I'd say Oregon.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:35 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Oregon is very liberal in most of its cities. Colorado liberalism pretty much stops in the inner ring suburbs of denver and the 2 major college towns they have. Denver's suburbs to me seemed very relgious but peaceful. Most places in oregon just seem more liberal then most of america (except medford and bend).
Most of Oregon is conservative outside of Portland, Salem, and Eugene. Look at this map of how people voted in the 2012 presidential election:

Not just Central and Eastern Oregon, but most of the Southern part of the coast is Conservative. It's a much redder State than people think overall.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 9,125 times
I will agree Progressive is Control be it Democrat or Republican. And would love to agree of Liberalism means Liberty but I do not see how, it should, but it does not. Liberals are the ones trying to Ban everything they do not agree with. Or change everyone to live like them. If liberals were for Liberty, they would have to respect others rights even if they do not agree.
Granted the Extreme right wing is almost as bad, but NOT granting new rights is not really the same as trying to take away a right. Either way I will take Liberals and Conservatives over progressives any day. We need both, to keep it balanced. We never need Progressives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City