Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,007 times

Advertisements

I saw your original post from 2013, did you ever move? My husband and I have been in Charleston since 2012 and considering moving to Florida.. Let me know if you ever moved and how do you like it?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:31 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,667,412 times
- More IT Jobs: Prob Florida
- Better beaches, parks and recreation: beaches prob Florida, parks/red prob SC as there is more varied scenery going further north.
- Better schools: Florida likely has more good ones
- Better infrastructure: I would say FL
- Lower crime: Depends
- More diverse: Florida in general
- Lower/less taxes: Florida has no state income tax , but I'm
Guessing SC has lower taxes also.
- Less restrictive laws (guns, cell phones): I would say FL, but I suppose it depends. These states pick and choose what to be libertarian in allowing, and I would guess that for guns SC is more permissive, but for other things perhaps FL, though both lean right on these things as a whole. For instance, there are a number of counties in SC where you can't buy alcohol on Sunday, if that matters.
- Cleaner: Again, it depends

It sounds like you don't like Charlwston too much. Visit Columbia and Greenville, and a few FL cities before deciding.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:27 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,426 times
Here goes:

- More IT Jobs - Tie. Both states have many opportunities in this industry.
- Better beaches, parks and recreation - Florida hands down! This is what Florida known for.
- Better schools - Florida is a younger state, more school options, not to mention 5+ major state universities
- Better infrastructure - Florida has larger/newer cities with more up-to-date infrastructure, there are also more airports
- Lower crime - Depends on the area. Both states have select areas with high crime and many areas with low crime.
- More diverse - Florida hands down! Florida is a melting pot of cultures and a magnet for immigrants.
- Lower/less taxes - Florida hands down! No state income tax and lower COL
- Less restrictive laws (guns, cell phones) - Both are similar, both have right to carry laws
- Cleaner - Florida generally has cleaner cities, partly due to appeal to tourism and wealthy residents

Old 08-11-2016, 07:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
I know people automatically assume that FL has better beaches, but I would say that it just has MORE beaches. SC is no slouch for beautiful beaches and contends well with FL in that category. If someone prefers 4 seasons the FL would not work well for them, and I'm one of those people. I lived in FL for a while and really missed the beautiful spring/fall of the Upper South.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:06 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I know people automatically assume that FL has better beaches, but I would say that it just has MORE beaches. SC is no slouch for beautiful beaches and contends well with FL in that category.
I beg to differ. Florida is KNOWN for it's beaches for a reason, SC is not.. South Florida in particular has some of the nicest beaches in the country, partly due to Florida's proximity to the Caribbean and similar attributes..

Old 08-11-2016, 07:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I beg to differ. Florida is KNOWN for it's beaches.. South Florida in particular has some of the nicest beaches in the country, partly due to Florida's proximity to the Caribbean and similar attributes..
Yeah, SC is known for its beaches too and has some of the nicest beaches in the country. Like I said, FL obviously has more beaches and a wider variety of them, but "nicer" is totally subjective. I know FL and Hawaii dominate the "best beaches" lists (due again to having more beaches), but SC usually has one or two on there as well. I have spent A LOT of time on both states beaches and find absolutely nothing more appealing about FL beaches as compared to SC beaches - although St. Pete beaches are my all time favorite.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I beg to differ. Florida is KNOWN for it's beaches for a reason, SC is not.. South Florida in particular has some of the nicest beaches in the country, partly due to Florida's proximity to the Caribbean and similar attributes..
SC is known for its beaches too, but moreso for its beach cities (Myrtle, Charleston, Hilton Head) as opposed to the beaches themselves.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:03 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yeah, SC is known for its beaches too and has some of the nicest beaches in the country. Like I said, FL obviously has more beaches and a wider variety of them, but "nicer" is totally subjective. I know FL and Hawaii dominate the "best beaches" lists (due again to having more beaches), but SC usually has one or two on there as well. I have spent A LOT of time on both states beaches and find absolutely nothing more appealing about FL beaches as compared to SC beaches - although St. Pete beaches are my all time favorite.
It's not just the beaches in FL that are superior. It's the underwater biodiversity found in close proximity that sets this state apart from SC. FL is more interesting and has more allure. Nowhere else, except HI, you find the variety of species that live underwater as in FL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4QbRSQC-8

Old 08-12-2016, 09:22 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,186 times
In my opinion since Fl offers better cities and better beaches i would go with florida hands down.
Sarasota, Tampa, Naples St pete. are all Jewels of the gulf which i prefer to the Atlantic Ocean. Also more jobs and better education in Florida.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:43 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
In my opinion since Fl offers better cities and better beaches i would go with florida hands down.
Sarasota, Tampa, Naples St pete. are all Jewels of the gulf which i prefer to the Atlantic Ocean. Also more jobs and better education in Florida.
That's mostly due to it being a larger state but among its peers, Florida substantially lags in those categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City