Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Best for Me ?
Atlanta 8 25.81%
San Jose 4 12.90%
Houston 14 45.16%
Seattle 4 12.90%
Denver 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:41 PM

32 posts, read 47,956 times

Advertisements

Hi . I'm 22 years old and I've just graduated from Georgia Tech in Atlanta with a degree in Mechanical Engineering . I am trying to make a decision on where I should move to. I am considering Atlanta, San Jose, Houston, Seattle, and Denver. All of these places, I've heard, are great for people who have tech jobs, especially engineering . My mom is going to be able to help with my rent for the first few months or so till I have a steady job . I've already received job offers from companies in each of these cities . Which of these would be the best for me ? I'm single at the moment so it's gonna be just me . Put into consideration how the economy, nightlife, culture, and overall feel of each of these cities is. Thanks ! Sorry if I messed anything up. This is my first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,658,853 times
Here's how I would rank your five choices from my favorite to least favorite:

1. San Jose
2. Denver
3. Seattle
4. Atlanta
5. Houston

San Jose is my favorite city of your five choices. Although prohibitively expensive, it has one of the strongest economies of any major city in the US at the moment as well as beautiful weather and scenery.

Houston really leaves a lot to be desired compared to cities like Seattle, Denver, and San Jose--dirty, ugly, flat, humid, ghetto, etc.

Atlanta is a better alternative than Houston if you decide to stay in the South because it's a much prettier, scenic, more polished city overall. However, I'm a little confused as to why you list Atlanta as an option if you already live/go to school there. Shouldn't your experiences/exposure to the city while in school be enough to allow you to properly gauge whether you'd like to live there or not beyond graduation?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
What are your preferences as it regards a place to live? How far will your salary go relative to the cost of living in those cities?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Are you into walkability or do you not care about such a thing and just want to rely on your car for most things?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB79 View Post
Hi . I'm 22 years old and I've just graduated from Georgia Tech in Atlanta with a degree in Mechanical Engineering . I am trying to make a decision on where I should move to. I am considering Atlanta, San Jose, Houston, Seattle, and Denver. All of these places, I've heard, are great for people who have tech jobs, especially engineering . My mom is going to be able to help with my rent for the first few months or so till I have a steady job . I've already received job offers from companies in each of these cities . Which of these would be the best for me ? I'm single at the moment so it's gonna be just me . Put into consideration how the economy, nightlife, culture, and overall feel of each of these cities is. Thanks ! Sorry if I messed anything up. This is my first post.
I'm confused as well. If you already have "job offers" from each of these cities, why not move to the one which offers the best job? I know at this stage in your life, you think nightlife and culture are important. But that's not going to make your career. Besides, all of these cities are fine places to live.

You have a degree from GT for crying out loud: GO FOR THE MONEY AND / OR CAREER OPPORTUNITY.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:08 AM

The job offers all offer the around the same salary. I have a car so that's not a problem . Each of these jobs are offering almost the same exact salary starting out . That's why I'm confused as to where to go. Sorry if I'm not making sense this is my first post haha!

Last edited by MCB79; 04-16-2014 at 05:34 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
However, I'm a little confused as to why you list Atlanta as an option if you already live/go to school there. Shouldn't your experiences/exposure to the city while in school be enough to allow you to properly gauge whether you'd like to live there or not beyond graduation?

I like a lot about Atlanta. I'm just not sure that I would like to stay here.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdtapperJr View Post
Easy Answer young man:

Build your brand and start your career right there in ATLANTA for a few years...maybe 3.

Tell your Mom thanks for her help, but tell her you want to save a bit of money and stick around
the family for a while, and might need her help later on.

Opportunities shall be abundant for you...right under your nose, right there in Atlanta. There will be numerous opportunities for you to move around the nation, and perhaps the world in the very near future. Take your time, network with locals - stay in touch with colleagues.

Stay unattached for at least 10 years. You would have established a solid foundation. Enjoy your degree and success for a short while right there in ATLANTA. Reward yourself just a little bit. You can travel anywhere in the world right there out of Hartsfield Jackson, and hop in your BMW or PU and drive to the mountains or the beaches.

Get settled, stay focused...and don't forget your family...especially your Mother. Your family is why you made it so far....no one else.

Enjoy yourself. Learn. Save. Spend a bit. Hug your Mom and thank her. You've been blessed.
Excellent advice. Probably NOT what the OP wanted to hear, but I agree it's what he should do.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdtapperJr View Post
Easy Answer young man:

Build your brand and start your career right there in ATLANTA for a few years...maybe 3.

Tell your Mom thanks for her help, but tell her you want to save a bit of money and stick around
the family for a while, and might need her help later on.

Opportunities shall be abundant for you...right under your nose, right there in Atlanta. There will be numerous opportunities for you to move around the nation, and perhaps the world in the very near future. Take your time, network with locals - stay in touch with colleagues.

Stay unattached for at least 10 years. You would have established a solid foundation. Enjoy your degree and success for a short while right there in ATLANTA. Reward yourself just a little bit. You can travel anywhere in the world right there out of Hartsfield Jackson, and hop in your BMW or PU and drive to the mountains or the beaches.

Get settled, stay focused...and don't forget your family...especially your Mother. Your family is why you made it so far....no one else.

Enjoy yourself. Learn. Save. Spend a bit. Hug your Mom and thank her. You've been blessed.

Thank you for the advice! What you're saying is very true! I will hug and thank my mom because she's all I have left! I don't think I could've made it to this point if it was for all of my family, especially her! I am going to take your advice to heart! Thanks again!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:34 PM

651 posts, read 408,135 times
Seems like Houston is leading the poll with confidence. Dont know much about it except the fact that summers are brutal there and people tend to stay mostly indoors during the peaks of heat and humidity (which is pretty much entire summer and then some). I know you didnt mention any climate preferences, but for me personally Houston (and Atlanta for that matter) are totally unattractive options based on this factor alone. It would reduce the quality of life for me dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City