Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Sandlapper, you are not the only black hipster if that is what you are wondering.

Ironic that the original hipsters were predominately black Americans. Or maybe expats in Paris if you go back far enough.
No worries! There are quite a few black hipsters in several cities throughout the US (even those not listed as hipster havens), however I do not claim to be one. I will say if Lil' Wayne can go from the "ward" to riding a skateboard then I think that term can encompass quite a bit. The hipster seems to marry quite a bit of the old "B-boy" swagger, punk, androgynous look, with a tad of grunge from the eighties and nineties. Plus throw in anything that was fashionable or popular from the past 100 years and you got yourself a hipster look. It's neither here nor there with me. It does however add variety and I can appreciate that vs the same old expected boring thing. Basically I was trying to say that the cities I mentioned before have a "doing things my own way" counter culture that I find appealing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:
Basically I was trying to say that the cities I mentioned before have a "doing things my own way" counter culture that I find appealing!

...uh huh...see bolded text in quote....Buffalo and Pittsburgh seem to have this going on, too, from my visits to these places.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The article acts like its a good thing, but for a twentysomething, non-hipster = backwards and boring. It's no surprise that most of the cities nominated for being 'least-hipster' are some of the worst in the country for young people. Houston and Dallas are large enough to still be cool, and Charlotte is transient enough, but the rest are some of the worst, most uncool places in the country to spend your 20s and offer the least amount of amenities for their size.

1. El Paso, TX
2. Jacksonville, FL
3. Fort Worth, TX
4. Oklahoma City, OK
5. Houston, TX
6. Charlotte, NC
7. Memphis, TN
8. San Antonio, TX
9. Indianapolis, IN
10. Dallas, TX

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Agreed. I am not a hipster at all, but I do find that there is a general correlation between cities that are "hipster" and those where any kind of being different or eccentric, or plain not macho in anyway is accepted. Like you said, it doesn't even have to be hipster - a city like Charlotte is transient enough where you don't have to feel like an outsider. And yes, Houston and Dallas are plenty big where any lifestyle can be found even if they are minority.

Last edited by Yac; 04-09-2013 at 06:32 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New York City makes every other city in the U.S. look like a small town when it comes to the criteria you listed.

Yet, I never hear you even mentioning New York City. Kind of strange.
NYC is too overwhelming. Its too fast paced, too much attitude, too much hustle. A lot of people don't want any of that. Some people want a more laid back, slower pace, yet still eclectic, diverse, where you be or do anything you want. Thats what is great about those smaller places.

The only cities in the US that manage to be large and world class yet, laid back and chill are Californias major cities: LA and San Francisco. Large cities east of the Mississippi? No.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The only cities in the US that manage to be large and world class yet, laid back and chill are Californias major cities: LA and San Francisco. Large cities east of the Mississippi? No.
Philadelphia, and even more-so Baltimore, offer a more laid back/chill vibe than the other large East Coast cities (Boston/NYC/DC).
It could be the Quaker history in Philadelphia versus Puritan in Boston, fast-paced Finance culture in NYC, colluded Govt. culture in DC.
I also consider Philadelphia world-class, although I know some on this forum may not.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-05-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
totally agree.
Indianapolis wants the young business starting professionals. not the hippie poor slobs.
Hence why Indianapolis was ranked as one of the happiest cities for young professionals and thats just one of the many acolades Indy has received.
Yes, and we all know that young americans all fall on one end of the spectrum or the other.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:56 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
totally agree.
Indianapolis wants the young business starting professionals. not the hippie poor slobs.
Hence why Indianapolis was ranked as one of the happiest cities for young professionals and thats just one of the many acolades Indy has received.
hipsters are not hippies ...

your age is showing.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:13 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,364 times
Some of those YPs don't wear slacks and a tie because they want to: some change out of their dress clothes for work and slip into their skinny jeans. Although, Indy would appeal more to the boring-to-the-bone YPs who would find happiness in its endless stripmalls. You only have one life to live, so why not throw it away in McIndymart or any of the other nine Mc"fill in the blank"marts on the list?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM

183 posts, read 298,295 times
I don't know why people on here are downing the hipsters like that. IMO, areas with a lot of hipsters are some of the coolest, laid back, chilled areas with plenty of entertainment. The people in these areas are also some of the areas have also got to be the coolest people you've ever met too. Here in Atlanta, the hipsters live mostly east of downtown and are migrating over to west midtown, and honestly, it's the best part of Atlanta IMO. Its gritty, it has character(moreso than Buckhead and midtown), people are really friendly, there are always interesting festivals, cool nonchain, inexpensive restaurants, abundance of interesting bars, fairly walkable, etc. Little 5 Points and EAV are both epicenters and the some of my best nights here include me going to Graveyard Tavern in EAV, leaving there and going into some of the bars nearby, its pretty vibrant and fun. Same to other areas with a lot of hipsters, East Village in NYC is cool and I had a great time there too, Williamsburg in BK was cool, LA was amazing too. I personally don't think I'd want to live in a city that doesn't have too many hipsters as they don't seem as interesting to me. Even the suburbs of Atlanta where you don't see too many hipsters are pretty boring IMO, and Buckhead to me is pretty stuffy, uptight, and materialistic IMO. You see more free thinking people and To me, MANY but not all of these cities on the list that actually do lack hipsters are kind of sterile IMO.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
You've got a lot of nerve to tell somebody not to stereotype, based on what you've said in this thread alone, kiddo.
huh?
Im not stereotyping. I don't know everything about hippies and nobody does unless you are one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City