Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Boston is one of the most hipster cities out there!
True, but there is much more to Boston than hipsters or hipster culture. Boston is one of America's great cities from a historical perspective. It shares a place with New York, Philadelphia, and DC. That is one thing Portland and Seattle can't claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
I agree with you totally. A "hipster" city does not necessarily equal a overall better environment for the area. It just depends on personal preference. A "hipster" city could be "cool" for one person but could be extremely intimidating to another person.
Or just vaguely irritating.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Wow, what have hipsters got against Texas?
Someone else said the criteria for a "hipster" city is walkable, bike-friendly, lots of vinyl record shops, vintage stores, etc. I'm assuming all Texas cities are out because of the walkability factor. And while I see people biking all the time around here (Houston), I have to admit the only bike lanes are in the richer areas like West University and Memorial.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 AM

83 posts, read 180,587 times
Las Vegas and Miami deserve obvious shouts(though on an unrelated note I still love these 2 cities haha)

Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 AM

340 posts, read 586,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollaathenry View Post
Las Vegas and Miami deserve obvious shouts(though on an unrelated note I still love these 2 cities haha)
I don't see Las Vegas when I think of hipsters.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM

83 posts, read 180,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
I don't see Las Vegas when I think of hipsters.
me neither, but isnt this the least hipster city thread? hahaha

Old 01-05-2015, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,413 times
i got one! grand rapids. would be on the top of the list of poser hipster cities. number one city for hicks in michigan to pretend that they are relevant. at least kids in chicago know what city life is like and aren't entirely, pretentiously FAKING THE FUNK. also, grand rapids is very racist and has a prevailing anti-hippie mindset. my salvadorian friend and i will be walking down the street (how audacious) and collecting looks from these poser hippies who's parents, no doubt, live in the suburbs. these are looks of hate, hatred towards her for being salvadorian and hatred towards me for being unshaven and having long hair (also for being with her.) most of these kids don't know what irony means. their style is nothing more than an imitation that's worse than average because these kids don't know who they're imitating (new yorkers, californians.) if you've never been to these places your blueprints can't be too accurate. often they are trying to compete with me, which proves that they have really missed the point. if they were actually progressive they would reject the ideals of competition that have been taught to them by their american culture and government and instead they would embrace me as their fellow human without trying to judge or out-do me in any way. THE RACISM! it's like the civil rights movement never happened. mom and dad were up in west michigan ignoring the whole thing. now these kids want to act like they're the product of that progressive era that their parents fought and are continuing to fight against. this would be wonderful if these kids saw fault in their parents and wanted to see change, but these kids are just as racist as their parents were/are! they're not standing for anything. they're just wearing clothes that are popular to wear. they wouldn't even know what to stand for. you ask, "don't you know that some important events in the civil rights movement took place in michigan?" yes i do know this, but these events took place in east michigan. now, contrary to what many people believe, i think that hipsters (hippies, i dont care what you say, stylistic differences, many hippies were just following the trend too, hipster was a term used for jazz musicians and beatniks and predates "hippie") can have integrity. st. louis, new orleans, cincinnati, these are real cities and even these are small towns compared to chicago, ny and la. i understand that the smaller cities i listed are racist just like grand rapids but the difference is that some people in st. louis know the struggle, and aren't deathly afraid of the poor while trying to imitate counter-culture style. not to mention nobody knows who you are grand rapids! or cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City