Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The article acts like its a good thing, but for a twentysomething, non-hipster = backwards and boring. It's no surprise that most of the cities nominated for being 'least-hipster' are some of the worst in the country for young people. Houston and Dallas are large enough to still be cool, and Charlotte is transient enough, but the rest are some of the worst, most uncool places in the country to spend your 20s and offer the least amount of amenities for their size.

1. El Paso, TX
2. Jacksonville, FL
3. Fort Worth, TX
4. Oklahoma City, OK
5. Houston, TX
6. Charlotte, NC
7. Memphis, TN
8. San Antonio, TX
9. Indianapolis, IN
10. Dallas, TX
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I would have expected to see Salt Lake City on this list. Maybe being in close proximity to Park City (home of the Sundance Film Festival) helps them avoid it.

Last edited by Yac; 04-09-2013 at 06:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Minneapolis may not be thought of as 'cool' but it has the fastest growing black population in the Midwest. Half of it's population growth since 1980 has come from non-whites. If you are from Chicago and you are black you may not think of Minneapolis as cool but you do think of it as a good place to raise your kids. It is not a boutique city like some of the others you name, it is an up-from-your-bootstraps place that tends to draw poor people from the rest of the country. It has a lot of hipsters, but mostly they are from here.
Clearly the "up from your bootstraps" era is probably over for Minneapolis with exception of a few areas like the north side. Even there the Victory neighborhood has become vibrant. There are other hip areas of the city other than just Uptown now (from my 2005 visit and other people I know in the area) and it also is becoming fairly affluent (but not unaffordable like SF, NYC can be) while remaining creative and interesting.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's sounds interesting. Does the food there have any of the influences of New Mexico? Or is it more TexMex or is it more traditional Mexican?

El Paso is one of those areas of the country that I've always wanted to visit, but it's sort of off the path of where I usually travel to. Probably tie it in with a trip to southern New Mexico and Big Bend some day.
If you go to southern New Mexico, you'll have to check out Roswell. I have never been there, but will some day in the near future. Even if you don't believe in UFO's it is sort of a "bucket list" thing that you can tell people about and it will definitely be "different". I doubt there is a large hipster scene there and that is fine with me. It is mainly about the UFO museums and UFO themed eateries.

It sounds like an enjoyable trip so long as you avoid the summer months.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:04 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Of course you can also have areas that are happy mediums between the strip mall/typical and those that try too hard to be funky and artistic to the point of being overly pretentious. The old town section of my city is such a place...not pretentiously funky; just mostly real, regular people (and maybe a few artists here and there) enjoying an area with unique non-chain establishments and that has some activity and a couple of coffee places other than Starbucks.

Almost everyone feels welcome there. You don't have to be a hipster there, but there are a few (definitely not even close to being "hipster central" like Austin, Portland, etc).

So which parts of Portland have you been to? Maybe you missed the more regular neighborhood-people parts of the city.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Why do people care so much about where hipsters are anyway? When did hipster = being cool?

I've pretty much been an Austinite my entire life and I don't see the big deal. It's not all that hipster imo, anyway.

I'm also in my 20s, college educated, vote blue, blah blah blah. But I could see myself wanting to live in Houston or Dallas more, long-term.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Of course you can also have areas that are happy mediums between the strip mall/typical and those that try too hard to be funky and artistic to the point of being overly pretentious. The old town section of my city is such a place...not pretentiously funky; just mostly real, regular people (and maybe a few artists here and there) enjoying an area with unique non-chain establishments and that has some activity and a couple of coffee places other than Starbucks.

Almost everyone feels welcome there. You don't have to be a hipster there, but there are a few (definitely not even close to being "hipster central" like Austin, Portland, etc).
Portland has plenty of areas though that aren't just hipster central. People throw out all types of stereotypes but the truth is that even in some of the popular areas like inner SE a lot of bars in Portland are just beers and a shot type of places where people are just watching the Blazers game--you might have younger people in their twenties drinking side by side with grizzled old regulars who've been there for years. Down the street from my house is an old Irish bar, staffed by sort of aging punk rock guys that often has Irish folk music or hippy or bluegrass bands playing--but it's friendly and gets a cross section of people around the neighborhood--but it's definitely not hip--and most of the fruity little hipsters who just got into town wouldn't be caught dead going to that place. Everyone knows where the trendy areas of town are, but it's not as if the entire city is that way.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Hipsters became too mainstream, so the anti-mainstream vigilantes (elitist Hipsters) of the anti-mainstream vigilantes (your general purpose Hipster) turned against their more small-fry brethren. Aside from the whole PBR thing, I don't really mind 'em. I just can't get over PBR, however. That's the swill I used to drink because it was cheap and sold at the gas station that didn't card.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 AM

502 posts, read 717,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The article acts like its a good thing, but for a twentysomething, non-hipster = backwards and boring. It's no surprise that most of the cities nominated for being 'least-hipster' are some of the worst in the country for young people. Houston and Dallas are large enough to still be cool, and Charlotte is transient enough, but the rest are some of the worst, most uncool places in the country to spend your 20s and offer the least amount of amenities for their size.

1. El Paso, TX
2. Jacksonville, FL
3. Fort Worth, TX
4. Oklahoma City, OK
5. Houston, TX
6. Charlotte, NC
7. Memphis, TN
8. San Antonio, TX
9. Indianapolis, IN
10. Dallas, TX

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Wow, what have hipsters got against Texas?

Last edited by Yac; 04-09-2013 at 06:33 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
I think it is that the cities in TX are known for their booming economies. A 20 something resident is more likely to be climbing the corporate ladder than living the hipster life. Hipsters are there, but they are diluted.

Quote:
Portland does not advertise itself as a city of hipsters.
Minervah - I get your point about there being other aspects to Portland but this statement makes me think of someone saying: "No, I don't have a smudge on my chin, I can't see it at all." :-) .

Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM

311 posts, read 492,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I have a couple questions for you. Why are you always talking about cities full of hipsters or lacking hipsters? Are you a hipster? Do you want to be a hipster? Do you dislike hipsters and want to avoid them? I'm just curious because its getting old.
I agree with you totally. A "hipster" city does not necessarily equal a overall better environment for the area. It just depends on personal preference. A "hipster" city could be "cool" for one person but could be extremely intimidating to another person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City