Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Cincinnati 36 49.32%
Kansas City 37 50.68%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ Oh, thank you, Dayton Sux--you're always so-o-o positive when it comes to Cincinnati...
Hey, as a former resident of Dayton, I can attest to that place giving one a negative outlook on SW Ohio in general. I used to think Cincy was just a larger version of Dayton. Needless to say I was DEAD wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
KC is more interesting in my opinion.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Wow. While I'm used to KC not getting a lot of respect, I honestly didn't expect it from the Cincy folk, especially with this amount of ignorance about KC and arrogance about Cincy because Cincy faces many of the same issues that plague KC and doesn't get much more respect (although KC gets zero national respect as a major city because the place is just too associated with "Kansas" and its stereotypes)

Personally, I have always thought of KC and Cincy to be peers. They are obviously built different, but their size, feel and the amenities they offer are very similar. Both have a cool mix of architecture etc.

I too will never understand why it's so insulting to be compared to KC.

KC has many flaws, but lacking a strong arts culture is NOT one of them and even mentioning that only showcases that one has no idea what they are talking about when it comes to KC. BTW, KC has an arts culture of a city 2-3 times its size. KC's performing arts center alone would be perfectly fine in any major world city. They have the crossroads arts district with one of the largest collection of urban art galleries in the country, the Kemper, the Nelson, the KC Art Institute etc.

People need to get out and see other cities, explore them and learn about them. You are really missing out. Oh and Cleveland and Columbus and Pittsburgh are not part of Cincy. I'll say it again. KC may not be 3 hours from six major cities, but the trade off is that it's within reach of the ENTIRE country so seeing the entire country from KC is easy and affordable. Personally, I liked that about KC and I loved that fact that KC was within driving distance of the Rockies for year round recreation. Living here in DC is great. It's nice having so much so close, but I do miss having better access to the western parts of the country.

Cincy is one of my favorite cities, but this thread is leaving a bad taste in my mouth for the place.

KC and Cincy are quite comparable and most KC people that visit Cincy will tell you that it does in fact remind them of KC in many ways.

Sorry if that's offensive.
Read my earlier post. I said essentially the same thing. I said that KC was the best city in its state and region and I like the city. Then the KC blowhard comes in and starts playing tit-for-tat, especially with that ridiculous fountain picture he posted. Then he claims, with some skewed authority, that Cincy isn't really comparable to the traditional cities it's most often compared to.

I'll say it again: KC is a fine city. When I lived in Denver I drove through KC all the time and stayed over quite often, hitting Royals games, some restaurants, walked around downtown, even saw a DMB concert in Bonner Springs. But KC really isn't comparable to Cincinnati in many ways at all. That's not saying either city is less for it.

I'll add that I think Denver is like KC in a lot of ways, outside of the obvious natural setting. And that's a high compliment to KC.

And I'll finish with this: If a handful of anonymous posts made on an Internet message board "leaves a bad taste in your mouth" or really impacts your impression of a city at all, that's kind of lame. Nothing that s.davis wrote changes my impression of KC in the slightest. Good grief.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 03-28-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 03:18 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Wow. While I'm used to KC not getting a lot of respect, I honestly didn't expect it from the Cincy folk, especially with this amount of ignorance about KC and arrogance about Cincy because Cincy faces many of the same issues that plague KC and doesn't get much more respect (although KC gets zero national respect as a major city because the place is just too associated with "Kansas" and its stereotypes)

Personally, I have always thought of KC and Cincy to be peers. They are obviously built different, but their size, feel and the amenities they offer are very similar. Both have a cool mix of architecture etc.

I too will never understand why it's so insulting to be compared to KC.

KC has many flaws, but lacking a strong arts culture is NOT one of them and even mentioning that only showcases that one has no idea what they are talking about when it comes to KC. BTW, KC has an arts culture of a city 2-3 times its size. KC's performing arts center alone would be perfectly fine in any major world city. They have the crossroads arts district with one of the largest collection of urban art galleries in the country, the Kemper, the Nelson, the KC Art Institute etc.

People need to get out and see other cities, explore them and learn about them. You are really missing out. Oh and Cleveland and Columbus and Pittsburgh are not part of Cincy. I'll say it again. KC may not be 3 hours from six major cities, but the trade off is that it's within reach of the ENTIRE country so seeing the entire country from KC is easy and affordable. Personally, I liked that about KC and I loved that fact that KC was within driving distance of the Rockies for year round recreation. Living here in DC is great. It's nice having so much so close, but I do miss having better access to the western parts of the country.

Cincy is one of my favorite cities, but this thread is leaving a bad taste in my mouth for the place.

KC and Cincy are quite comparable and most KC people that visit Cincy will tell you that it does in fact remind them of KC in many ways.

Sorry if that's offensive.
kcmo, I grew up in the Cincy area I wouldn't let a few opinions on here spoil the apple cart. KC does seem to have a lot to explore based on what you've mentioned and the photos you posted. I will need to take a few days off and tour it on foot the next time I'm in town.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 AM

58 posts, read 52,434 times
I just wanted to step in real quick to say that the fountain in that picture was built in 1910. Then was purchased by the Nichols family and installed in Mill Creek Park in 1951. Mill Creek Park is a wonderful meeting area in KC and very busy during the warmer months, especially with its location across from the Plaza District. I am not trying to fan any flames here, I just wanted to get in my 2 cents.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times
Wow. I can see I brought out the flamer/troll in a couple people. Some of you obviously take umbrage with the assertion -- which is only an opinion -- that KC and Cincinnati are peers. I don't know what to say to somebody who thinks:

Pittsburgh is as heavily African American (26%), as Cincinnati (45%).
Quote:
Less black? (uh, ok) Regional foods? lol!!! What a joke of a post. You're just trying too hard, bud.
Or that the what kind of yard beer you can buy is a good gauge of whether or not cities are peers.
Quote:
try asking for a Yuengling out on your prairie, Dances With Wolves. We can get those here, you can't.
I bought a Yuengling in D.C. last week. Does that mean D.C. and Cincinnati are more alike than Cincy and Kansas City?

Or can't tell the difference between a large, vibrant urban neighborhood (that, I should add, is DENSER than downtown Cincy, more than 3.5 times denser than Mariemount and more populated than Over the Rhine) and a food court
Quote:
And your fountain pic is boring ... it looks like something from a mall food court.
or doesn't know the difference between a well-used, highly trafficked park and "random peice of grass
Quote:
i am pretty sure the fountain square i just posted doesnt have random peices of grass around
Or thinks there are no places like
Quote:
it instead it has Saxth Fith Avenue, Brazilian steak, Mcormick seafood,
in Kansas City. Hint: there are high-end department and clothing stores, a McCormick and Schmick and a Brazilian steak house withing shouting distance of the "mall court fountain". In fact, you can see a M&S Grill in the picture.

Or someone who thinks a picture of Fountain Square during the annual city-sponsored "Light up the Square" event is fooling anyone.
Quote:
I love the comparison of Fountain Square's ice skating rink in Cincy, with wherever the KC ice skating pic is. The KC pic has a fraction of the people. Probably with Lawrence Welk music in the background. In contrast the Cincy pic is loaded with young people and families. The energy is palpable just from the picture.
Here's what it looks like most of the time:

Shockingly, they have events in Kansas City, too:

That's the skating rink (upper right). You know, the one that the
Quote:
closes high rise i see is far away from it

And dere's the " dead end road next to hooters..", you mentioned, near the
Quote:
crappy fountain in the middle

Here's KC's annual winter "lighting ceremony"

And while I'm sure that looks like Enid, OK (which is as close to KC as Paducah, KY is to Cincy, for the record) to someone from the a bustling press of humanity and urbanity that is Cincinnati, Ohio, I don't try to pawn those images off as normal, everyday scenes from the Plaza or Downtown KC. Because, I'm not trolling.

Which is evident to anyone with reading comprehension skills. But given that you guys can't understand something as simple as the fact that I actually said the exact opposite of this:

Quote:
Then he claims, with some skewed authority, that Cincy isn't really comparable to the traditional cities it's most often compared to.
here:

Quote:
Pittsburgh I can see, in the way that KC "resembles" Cleveland, but you are confusing what a city looks like, with how a city is. Cincy is as or more like KC than it is like Pittsburgh.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 03-29-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Or someone who thinks a picture of Fountain Square during the annual city-sponsored "Light up the Square" event is fooling anyone.
Wrong. Fountain Square has events scheduled year round and many of them pack the place. You obviously don't know very much about Cincinnati. Which explains your insistence that KC and Cincy are the same.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
kcmo, I grew up in the Cincy area I wouldn't let a few opinions on here spoil the apple cart.
I have been to Cincinnati enough to know better. People there are friendly, modest, laid back midwesterners. And they have a wonderful, charming little city to enjoy and take pride in.

I certainly think Cincinnati is a unique place, with all kinds of charm, both obvious and hidden, and I would never judge the town based on 2 or 3 anonymous, childish internet posters with chips on their shoulders and demonstrable unfamiliarity with at least one, and probably both cities in question.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Wow. I can see I brought out the flamer/troll in a couple people. Some of you obviously take umbrage with the assertion -- which is only an opinion -- that KC and Cincinnati are peers. I don't know what to say to somebody who thinks:

Pittsburgh is as heavily African American (26%), as Cincinnati (45%).
Or that the what kind of yard beer you can buy is a good gauge of whether or not cities are peers.
I bought a Yuengling in D.C. last week. Does that mean D.C. and Cincinnati are more alike than Cincy and Kansas City?

Or can't tell the difference between a large, vibrant urban neighborhood (that, I should add, is DENSER than downtown Cincy, more than 3.5 times denser than Mariemount and more populated than Over the Rhine) and a food court
or doesn't know the difference between a well-used, highly trafficked park and "random peice of grass
Or thinks there are no places like
in Kansas City. Hint: there are high-end department and clothing stores, a McCormick and Schmick and a Brazilian steak house withing shouting distance of the "mall court fountain". In fact, you can see a M&S Grill in the picture.

Shockingly, they have events in Kansas City, too:

That's the skating rink (upper right). You know, the one that the

And dere's the " dead end road next to hooters..", you mentioned, near the

Here's KC's annual winter "lighting ceremony"

And while I'm sure that looks like Enid, OK (which is as close to KC as Paducah, KY is to Cincy, for the record) to someone from the a bustling press of humanity and urbanity that is Cincinnati, Ohio, I don't try to pawn those images off as normal, everyday scenes from the Plaza or Downtown KC. Because, I'm not trolling.

Which is evident to anyone with reading comprehension skills. But given that you guys can't understand something as simple as the fact that I actually said the exact opposite of this:

here:
I still dont see the high rise

Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
would never judge the town based on 2 or 3 anonymous, childish internet posters with chips on their shoulders and demonstrable unfamiliarity with at least one, and probably both cities in question.
You can leave off with the insults anytime now. There are those of us who just disagree with you. Deal with it. But to hurl insults at people for disagreeing with you goes a long ways in showing what type of person you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City