Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Transnational was canceled in 2008 after the FAA disproved of it's height interfering with Logan's flight path.

I like Transnational more than Transbay either way, one looks like a super sized 1980's cell phone and the other like some chicks vibrator super sized. Plus I'm tired of hearing every year that "Transbay is starting construction". I've been hearing that since 2007, either build it or don't jeez!

Thankfully the Wilshire Grand is getting built and has a nice schedule and everything, now that's an awesome looking building and in San Francisco, I much prefer their 50 First Street too, sleek and beautiful design over Transbay the vibrator resembling tower.
I may be wrong, but I thought I heard rumors of a possible return of Transnational, just smaller. I definitely think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it has more of a chance to be built than the South Bay Tower.

And Boston also has Copley Place and Filenes tower approved and (theoretically) ready to build.

And 50 First Street does look cool, kind of like Boston's Congress Street Garage tower, but that's definitely never going to happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I may be wrong, but I thought I heard rumors of a possible return of Transnational, just smaller. I definitely think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it has more of a chance to be built than the South Bay Tower.

And Boston also has Copley Place and Filenes tower approved and (theoretically) ready to build.

And 50 First Street does look cool, kind of like Boston's Congress Street Garage tower, but that's definitely never going to happen
50 First would have made for an awesome supertall, the design is clearly more thought out and original whereas Transbay is just a generic design with a generic costume of colors that even a 5 year old could have sketched up. It's a shame that architecturally interesting projects play backseats to what registers to me at least as an architectural eyesore but then again, as they say one mans trash is another's treasure. I'm sure some people probably really like the Transbay design.

Now as for importance, it's as easy as glancing at GDP or as difficult as compiling every last reason of what makes a city a power hitter. GDP is great but it's a known fact that all American cities have a leg up on that over other cities across the world. Somewhere like Denver has 66% of Hong Kong's GDP and no one will claim both are even remotely on the same level.

Boston's strengths are in education first, it's a monster there. Health care second, once again it's a monster there. Nanotechnology and biotechnology, once again it's a complete monster there. Venture capital and startups, again a monster there, and finally the bright minds it both produces from it's higher institutions and the bright minds it keeps after they graduate, which is where it really has a massive advantage over 95% of the world's cities. To add to an already an impressive list, then there's it's financial clout, particularly strong in mutual funds and a good hand in insurance too. It's relatively prosperous economy and it's cutting edge infrastructure. I've been to Boston once in the last 6 months and will be back again sometime in April (when it's warmer) and before that my last trip was about 5 years back and it's good to see that the city has decreased crime (not that it was bad before), cleaned up even more (it was already clean), and has updated even more (even though it already was) from then to now.

If that wasn't enough already, then factor in that Bostonians and people of Greater Boston in general hold a higher level of education and a higher income than the grand majority of the people in cities in the rest of the world.

On paper it's tough to compete with that, in real life it's more complicated but all of that gives Boston the competitive edge to go up against anywhere in the world and place favorably.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-01-2013 at 04:55 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
I like Transnational more than Transbay either way, one looks like a super sized 1980's cell phone and the other like some chicks vibrator super sized. Plus I'm tired of hearing every year that "Transbay is starting construction". I've been hearing that since 2007, either build it or don't jeez!
Fortunately, it's already broken ground so you'll never have to be tired of hearing that its starting construction anymore.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
D.C. has more land to work with. A large majority of the city still needs to be redeveloped from long time blight. As the city rises from one story auto body shops to highrise residential mixed use buildings, D.C. has unlimited potential to grow where Boston and San Fran are fully developed already. They can infill, but nothing like D.C. can.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C. has more land to work with. A large majority of the city still needs to be redeveloped from long time blight. As the city rises from one story auto body shops to highrise residential mixed use buildings, D.C. has unlimited potential to grow where Boston and San Fran are fully developed already. They can infill, but nothing like D.C. can.
There's plenty of infill to be done around Boston, but it's also got a huge area to develop in South Boston.

South Boston Waterfront

Rendering

Model

The Seaport Square project is supposed to have around 6.5 million sq feet of mixed use development, while Fan Pier (which is about halfway built) will have around 3 million. There's also several old, abandoned buildings in Fort Point (next door to these plots) which are being redeveloped.

There's probably not as much open space as DC overall, but there's also Cambridge right next to downtown, who already has over 20 million sq feet downtown, and has around 8M more under development.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Fortunately, it's already broken ground so you'll never have to be tired of hearing that its starting construction anymore.
Ground breaking was March 27, 2013 and the tower was proposed in 2005.

Wow congratulations on getting it started 4 days ago after 8 years of "nah uh, we're definitely breaking ground this year!".

San Franciscans are so resistant to massive changes it seems, they had to scale this thing back from above 1,200 feet to 1,070 because of NIMBY's talking about this blocking their view. About time though, San Francisco's skyline was in need of an update, the skyline looked like it was frozen in time from the 1970's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
There's plenty of infill to be done around Boston, but it's also got a huge area to develop in South Boston.

South Boston Waterfront

Rendering

Model

The Seaport Square project is supposed to have around 6.5 million sq feet of mixed use development, while Fan Pier (which is about halfway built) will have around 3 million. There's also several old, abandoned buildings in Fort Point (next door to these plots) which are being redeveloped.

There's probably not as much open space as DC overall, but there's also Cambridge right next to downtown, who already has over 20 million sq feet downtown, and has around 8M more under development.
This stuff is nice.

By the way, how goes it in Sao Paulo? Enjoying your new home?

Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
In addition to what was already said (that Boston does have a lot if empty space), Boston (and SF) can build upwards, whereas DC can't.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:06 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
@valentro

Unfortunately a lot of the quality isn't fantastic. It's mostly your standard precast/glass box type of stuff...hopefully once it starts to fill in more, the quality of architecture will pick up.

It's funny that I was originally responding to a person from DC because people on the Boston Development website I frequent usually complain that the area is in dangerous of becoming too much like downtown Washington (too much office space, not enough residential). However if all goes to plan, there should be a lot of residences in the area.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:24 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Ground breaking was March 27, 2013 and the tower was proposed in 2005.

Wow congratulations on getting it started 4 days ago after 8 years of "nah uh, we're definitely breaking ground this year!".

San Franciscans are so resistant to massive changes it seems, they had to scale this thing back from above 1,200 feet to 1,070 because of NIMBY's talking about this blocking their view. About time though, San Francisco's skyline was in need of an update, the skyline looked like it was frozen in time from the 1970's.
Yup. You've got a year to break ground on the Trans National, better get hopping!

I know, I know, it's tough not having anything over 600 feet built since the 1970 whereas San Francisco has four built over 600 feet since then plus another under construction and another about to break ground.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

South Boston Waterfront

Rendering

Model

That's not much development compared to D.C. though. It is foolish to compare D.C. to Boston because Boston is by and large built out. For instance:

D.C. Capitol Riverfront when fully built out will total 36 million square feet.
Capitol Riverfront | Development

D.C.'s NOMA neighborhood when fully built out will total 34 million square feet.
Maps | NoMa

D.C.'s 3.2 Million Square Foot Wharf Development
Can D.C. Lead the Way to a 21st Century Waterfront? - Kriston Capps - The Atlantic Cities

These are just major development projects. This doesn't even begin to highlight the infill taking place and future potential around the city. To compare Boston and D.C.'s development potential is not a fair comparison since Boston was not ravaged and destroyed by the Martin Luther King riots that left D.C. to rot for 50 years. D.C. was a barren waste land for decades and is just now beginning to rebuild the city.

And as for Cambridge, there is no land to develop anything on the scale of Potomac Yards in Alexandria. That development is the same size as Boston's Seaport Square and Fan Pier put together.
http://alexandriava.gov/PotomacYard

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-02-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City