Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these states will be the last to permit same sex marriage?
Alabama 5 11.63%
Mississippi 23 53.49%
Oklahoma 1 2.33%
Texas 6 13.95%
Utah 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times

Advertisements

Of the following reliably red states, which do you think will be the last to permit couples of the same gender to marry one another:

Alabama
Mississippi
Oklahoma
Texas
Utah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:51 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I'd say Mississippi. Utah and Texas are getting court cases through their systems. I think it would be awesome if Utah were the next to go, just given their history for butting in and trying to stop it in other states with the Mormons.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:07 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
If I were gay and living in Oklahoma and wanted to create a campaign slogan for gay rights in the state, I'd go with "Oklahomo".

Thank you, I just had to get that in there!

Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
If I were gay and living in Oklahoma and wanted to create a campaign slogan for gay rights in the state, I'd go with "Oklahomo".

Thank you, I just had to get that in there!
They are performing same sex marraiges on the Indian Reservations in Oklahoma, so that's a start.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...-oklahoma.html

Old 12-16-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'd say Mississippi. Utah and Texas are getting court cases through their systems. I think it would be awesome if Utah were the next to go, just given their history for butting in and trying to stop it in other states with the Mormons.
Yes, but isn't the Texas and Utah judiciary pretty conservative? Texas has 9 elected Supreme Court justices, all of whom are Republican. The Utah Supreme Court has five justices, appointed by the Republican governor and confirmed by the state senate (consisting of 24 Republicans and 5 dems).

Old 12-16-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Yes, but isn't the Texas and Utah judiciary pretty conservative? Texas has 9 elected Supreme Court justices, all of whom are Republican. The Utah Supreme Court has five justices, appointed by the Republican governor and confirmed by the state senate (consisting of 24 Republicans and 5 dems).
Yeah but for the most part same sex marriage is a fairly easy equal rights position once you take away anyones "eww" factor or religion. I don't honestly think any court that's ruled on same-sex marriage has ruled against it, because the way our society is set up and the way equal rights are written into the books. People are born gay, they aren't hurting anyone, they're in loving consensual relationships and want to get married just like everyone else. There's honestly no arguement against it on a rational level. I'm not talking about getting married in a church, but the lawful aspect of marriage on a civil level.

If people have a problem with it it's because of the way that civil marriage and the laws on the books for marriage have gotten tangled up with the religious aspect of it. Marriage should be a totally secular issue if you're going to base laws around marriage. The religious ceremony and marriage in the church should be on the same level as a baptism or a special mass, etc.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah but for the most part same sex marriage is a fairly easy equal rights position once you take away anyones "eww" factor or religion. I don't honestly think any court that's ruled on same-sex marriage has ruled against it, because the way our society is set up and the way equal rights are written into the books. People are born gay, they aren't hurting anyone, they're in loving consensual relationships and want to get married just like everyone else. There's honestly no arguement against it on a rational level. I'm not talking about getting married in a church, but the lawful aspect of marriage on a civil level.
You're argument makes sense, but not all decisions are dealt with in such a rational manner. Despite what we would like to believe, judges often vote based on ideology and not solely the merits of any given case. I find it hard to believe that at least 5 members of the Texas Supreme Court would vote to permit same gender marriage. Remember, even 4 members of the US Supreme Court voted to let DOMA stand. I am more than willing to be surprised, however.

Further to this, a federal court in Oklahoma has not even been willing to schedule a hearing to a couple challenging a same gender marriage ban after 9 years of filing a suit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...p_ref=politics While some may disagree, I fully believe there are "activist judges" with both liberal and conservative agendas.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 12-16-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 03:28 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
Uh, my home state of South Cackylaki.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
You're argument makes sense, but not all decisions are dealt with in such a rational manner. Despite what we would like to believe, judges often vote based on ideology and not solely the merits of any given case. I find it hard to believe that at least 5 members of the Texas Supreme Court would vote to permit same gender marriage. Remember, even 4 members of the US Supreme Court voted to let DOMA stand. I am more than willing to be surprised, however.

Further to this, a federal court in Oklahoma has not even been willing to schedule a hearing to a couple challenging a same gender marriage ban after 9 years of filing a suit: Oklahoma Gay Marriage Ban Lawsuit Still Pending 9 Years Later While some may disagree, I fully believe there are "activist judges" with both liberal and conservative agendas.
Yes, very true, I understand that. I suppose a lot of it also depends on how their constitutions are written. In Iowa it was a 7-0 ruling even though many justices were appointed by a republican governor. They interpreted the constitution though and there was no question that it was a straightforward case of inequality. Iowa has a very strong constitition in that regards though, it ruled on social issues sometimes more than 100 years before the US did. The state has a lot of firsts.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, very true, I understand that. I suppose a lot of it also depends on how their constitutions are written. In Iowa it was a 7-0 ruling even though many justices were appointed by a republican governor. They interpreted the constitution though and there was no question that it was a straightforward case of inequality. Iowa has a very strong constitition in that regards though, it ruled on social issues sometimes more than 100 years before the US did. The state has a lot of firsts.
Yes, Iowa has always had more progressive politics than its neighbors to the north, west and south. I wasn't totally caught off-guard when same gender marriage was enacted there, though three of the judges were subsequently voted out over the matter in a recall: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/us...dges.html?_r=0. This reality, I'm sure, is not lost on those already conservative judges in Texas and Utah who will be considering this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City