Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite choice in this match up?
Atlanta 82 35.65%
Denver 55 23.91%
Seattle 93 40.43%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Rail is more then half the picture for public transit. NYC is known for it's world-class subway system....Chicago is known for the L. Why can't Atlanta be recognized for it's MARTA rail? Why do people have to add in bus into the equation? It's a known fact people like taking rail a lot more then bus...especially heavy rail since it always has its own right of way and it can't be in traffic, plus it carries much more people.

Face it, Atlanta public transit is better then those two cities...in fact, ATL can make a case for top 10 in the country for public transit simply for it's heavy rail system alone...something, the vast majority of cities in the U.S. don't even have.
ATL is known for the MARTA rail. And it's definitely in the top 10 in the US for heavy rail, that is fact. List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But public transit encompasses more than just heavy rail; buses are definitely an effective way of moving people around. What makes it a known fact that people like taking (heavy) rail a lot more than buses, especially if the vast majority of cities don't even have rail?

Seattle does have commuter heavy rail train which is popular and heavily used-- People from those areas still utilize the bus since it offers a better schedule/frequency (therefor actually carries much more people) and is very convenient. People in the Seattle area like the buses in addition to their other forms of PT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Shopping - Seattle for urban shopping, Atlanta for indoor malls to get out of the pollen filled air! Lenox is a nice mall.

Nightlife - The Atlanta nightlife is geared towards African Americans with that southern crunk/rap hooligan junk blasting and the Seattle girls are ugly with a capital U. I will go with Denver

Outdoor Activites - Denver or Seattle, I would pass out in the Georgia heat. I'm not into outdoor stuff though unless its cold.

Interesting neighborhoods - Seattle has the best neighborhoods

Public Transit - Seattle or Atlanta

Pro Sports - Well I'm a Mets fan so the braves annoy me. Seattle doesn't have an NBA team so I will go with Denver.

Growth Prospects - Denver with the best economy

Foods - I do not like southern food so Atlanta is the worst of the three IMO. Seattle > Denver in food IMO

Travel destinations - Atlanta doesn't have anything nearby I'm interested in. Charlotte, Savannah, Greenville, Birmingham are not for me. I will go with Seattle because its close to Portland and Vancouver.

Crime - Atlanta has the worst crime of the three. I'm not being offensive but statistics show the city with the highest African Americans tend to have the highest crime rates and its true in this situation.

Alright this is too many comparisons and sick of typing the rest, I would pick Denver to live
You have a LOT of stereotypes.Atlanta has a robust nightlife well beyond "crunk-music".You have been watching to many independent black movies or something.Very biased.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:18 AM

580 posts, read 1,180,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You have a LOT of stereotypes.Atlanta has a robust nightlife well beyond "crunk-music".You have been watching to many independent black movies or something.Very biased.
Or I have lived in Atlanta and experienced it! You realize everyone sees things differently, correct?

And I have seen your posts on this site and you boost Atlanta nonstop so don't speak to me about bias!!!!!

Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
ATL is known for the MARTA rail. And it's definitely in the top 10 in the US for heavy rail, that is fact. List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But public transit encompasses more than just heavy rail; buses are definitely an effective way of moving people around. What makes it a known fact that people like taking (heavy) rail a lot more than buses, especially if the vast majority of cities don't even have rail?

Seattle does have commuter heavy rail train which is popular and heavily used-- People from those areas still utilize the bus since it offers a better schedule/frequency (therefor actually carries much more people) and is very convenient. People in the Seattle area like the buses in addition to their other forms of PT.
Is Seattle had heavy rail similar to MARTA, then Seattle would easily be in my top 5 for cities I want to move too...I just don't like bus. Simple as that. I'd drive my own car before I'd take bus. Now rail is a different story.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times
As far as everyday life is concerned, it's a toss-up between Seattle and Atlanta. Seattle's dense, urban fabric is one of the city's most attractive features, as is the lush environment. Atlanta, however, crushes the competition in regards to amenities.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
I would consider Atlanta very lush. If I recall it was the major city with the most trees cover.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM

274 posts, read 705,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
As far as everyday life is concerned, it's a toss-up between Seattle and Atlanta. Seattle's dense, urban fabric is one of the city's most attractive features, as is the lush environment. Atlanta, however, crushes the competition in regards to amenities.
I would argue Seattle crushes Atlanta in regards to both urban and natural amenities. But that is just my opinion.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 PM

443 posts, read 877,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Is Seattle had heavy rail similar to MARTA, then Seattle would easily be in my top 5 for cities I want to move too...I just don't like bus. Simple as that. I'd drive my own car before I'd take bus. Now rail is a different story.
But Seattle's light rail functions like heavy rail - it is mostly underground or elevated, with no sections where it has to wait at lights or deal with traffic.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
But Seattle's light rail functions like heavy rail - it is mostly underground or elevated, with no sections where it has to wait at lights or deal with traffic.
Those are only two aspects. LRT still doesn't have the speed or capacity of HRT, regardless of ROW or being underground or elevated.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
I would argue Seattle crushes Atlanta in regards to both urban and natural amenities. But that is just my opinion.
Natural amenities, I can see. But in what way would you say that Seattle "crushes" Atlanta in terms of urban amenities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City