Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times

Advertisements

I am curious to hear if any metros have commuter rail or passenger rail to their exurbs.

FTR, in the SF Bay Area we have Altamont Commuter Express from the SF Bay Area to Stockton. ACE | Altamont Commuter Express | Welcome to ACE Life!

In the last couple of years they went from 2 trains a day each way to 3 in a few years ago and they just started 4 a few months back and they are looking at expanding service into Modesto too.

BTW, are there any intercity, HSR, or BT train plans in any cities from city to their suburbs and exurbs? How's the ridership? For metros that dont have commuter rail to exurbs, are there any plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 AM

465 posts, read 872,099 times
Wouldn't most metros with commuter rail have it to their exurbs?

I mean, look at NYC. They have commuter rail almost to Mass and Rhode Island. They're expanding commuter rail deep into Northeast PA.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Wouldn't most metros with commuter rail have it to their exurbs?

I mean, look at NYC. They have commuter rail almost to Mass and Rhode Island. They're expanding commuter rail deep into Northeast PA.
Isn't the commuter system from Allentown to NYC a bus right now? I've heard Amtrak from Hartford to NYC is a mess.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM

465 posts, read 872,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Isn't the commuter system from Allentown to NYC a bus right now? I've heard Amtrak from Hartford to NYC is a mess.
NJ Transit is extending commuter rail to Scranton. I'm not aware of plans for rail to Allentown.

I have no idea if Amtrak to Hartford is "a mess", but I'm talking commuter rail, not inter-city rail. There's already commuter rail all the way to New London (almost in Rhode Island), and they're extending commuter rail from New Haven to Hartford, and then to Springfield, MA.

My bigger point is that almost all cities with commuter rail have systems that go to the exurbs. The whole point of commuter rail is to move over relatively long distances.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
NYC, Boston, Philly. Probably DC.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
NJ Transit is extending commuter rail to Scranton. I'm not aware of plans for rail to Allentown.

I have no idea if Amtrak to Hartford is "a mess", but I'm talking commuter rail, not inter-city rail. There's already commuter rail all the way to New London (almost in Rhode Island), and they're extending commuter rail from New Haven to Hartford, and then to Springfield, MA.

My bigger point is that almost all cities with commuter rail have systems that go to the exurbs. The whole point of commuter rail is to move over relatively long distances.
I think you are thinking different exurbs than the ones I am thinking about. I am thinking about large exurban communities like St. Lucie, Stockton, Palm Bay, Rockford, Palmdale, Allentown, etc.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,515 times
DC has it to areas outside of the MSA like West Virginia, Fredericksburg, VA and Baltimore which is different but then past Baltimore to its exurbs. I agree with the other poster, most commuter rails terminate at the exurbs.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,591 times
The MARC train in DC goes all the way to West Virginia. Also the Penn and Camden lines go to Baltimore and the Penn goes even further to Perryville. There are plans to extend the Penn line from Perryville to Wilmington, DE in the future. On the VA side the VRE train goes as far south as Fredericksburg and as far west as Manassas.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,276 times
Chciago has the South Shore commuter rail line all the way out to South Bend, Indiana, about 80 miles away.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
The Virginia side of the commuter rail is a mess. It tends to go north to DC in the morning and south in the evening. But I know someone who got a job in Richmond, while living in Arlington. The commuter rail was useless to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City