Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and comment why!
Seattle area 40 41.67%
Denver area 32 33.33%
Raleigh and the Triangle area 24 25.00%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM

176 posts, read 349,356 times

Advertisements

So what about quality of life in these places? Anyone lived in one, two, or all three of them that could chime in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,724,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I recently saw public transit ridership number as a percentage, and Denver was not ranked in the top-10. The thing about Denver's light rail, moreover, is that it's largely a park-and-ride-based system. So if you have a car and are willing to pay for the park-and-ride parking fees, then it is indeed a great way to get downtown. But it is in no way the kind of system that you can just take to get wherever you want to go. Most people who take light rail in Denver still spend a good bit of time driving as part of their commute. Denver's is not really a viable public transit system, although it is a way of avoiding traffic and parking if you are headed downtown from any of the park-and-rides.
Denver's lightrail currently ranks #8 for ridership, and #13 for bus ridership. I didn't say it was top 10 in the nation for percentage. I said Denver's not a slouch when it comes to public transportation. And what's the big deal if it's a park-n-ride? A lot of people are still riding it regardless and there's are quite a few non park-n-ride stations too.

Last edited by Mezter; 04-30-2013 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
So what about quality of life in these places? Anyone lived in one, two, or all three of them that could chime in?
I can only really speak on Denver since I haven't lived in the othere 2 cities. QOL is pretty good here. Good school, reasonable COL, nice outdoor options, nice weather, etc. I hear Raleigh is a great place for college graduates. And Seattle also has a lot to offer. I don't think you can go wrong with either city!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM

704 posts, read 1,794,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Denver's lightrail currently ranks #8 for ridership, and #13 for bus ridership. I didn't say it was top 10 in the nation for percentage. I said Denver's not a slouch when it comes to public transportation. And what's the big deal if it's a park-n-ride? A lot of people are still riding it regardless and there's are quite a few non park-n-ride stations too.
I still don't believe those numbers, although I absolutely could be wrong. If you have a link, do post it.

The point I was making was simply that Denver does not have a complete public transit system. I don't think that you can live here easily at all without a car. That's true of many other places, too, of course, but I cannot understand those who contend that Denver's transit system is anything other than mediocre. This is a heavily suburbanized, Midwestern/western sort of city that relies greatly on cars, not trains.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,892,632 times
Quote:
I still don't believe those numbers, although I absolutely could be wrong. If you have a link, do post it.

The point I was making was simply that Denver does not have a complete public transit system. I don't think that you can live here easily at all without a car. That's true of many other places, too, of course, but I cannot understand those who contend that Denver's transit system is anything other than mediocre. This is a heavily suburbanized, Midwestern/western sort of city that relies greatly on cars, not trains.
List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of United States local bus agencies by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One can always situate their abode to take advantage of the public transit; I'm pretty sure its possible, even in Denver.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:57 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,892,632 times
I've already lived in Seattle. I'd choose Raleigh, simply because it's closer to East Coast and easier for a visit there.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,398,034 times
Denver if you like the outdoors- best weather of the three IMO. Seattle has the best city. Raleigh feels MUCH MUCH smaller than Seattle and even Denver. Jobs/family would be the deciding factor for me, but all other things equal- Denver, then Seattle, then Raliegh unless you can deal with a miserable climate in which case I'd pick Seattle.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:13 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,732,640 times
Seattle

Old 05-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Denver is a city where a car is the main mode of transportation, but have you even tried to use it? I live in the far out suburbs and I use the bus very often. Hardly mediocre.

Every post you write about Denver is how you see it, but not how it really is.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM

176 posts, read 349,356 times
I really do love Seattle but im not sure how i'll cope with the cold weather. i don't mind the lack of sun as much as the lack of warmth. As far as proximity to the East Coast.. at the moment i couldn't care less to be honest, I currently live in NJ and im fed up with the high strung atmosphere over here. Denver also seems splendid! But im not sure how i'll fair being land locked in such a dry area. I love green, trees, and water. However mountains are pretty sweet as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City