Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be best to relocate to from NYC?
Chicago 16 30.77%
San Francisco 9 17.31%
Seattle 13 25.00%
Boston 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Yeah I know I kind of already said that before. I don't claim know city on an everyday basis just by visiting it. I do what most informed people do which is look up info on it to get a basic understanding of it though. Obviously that's not like living in it but it's really the best alternative option.
Yes, I understand that. When someone who lives there says A or B, then yeah.... statistically yes, but the point is that Chicago is much bigger than the other cities (even San Fran) and it's hard to actually compare them all. Percentages only do so much, and as I have pointed out, if your world is in certain areas, it can be just as good. I know people in many cities who only stay within the same 3 mile radius ever, so to them their world is much different than someone else's maybe even though it's in the same city. Someone who barely ever leaves Chinatown in San Fran may have a skewed view of the city overall.

But as far as the Asian thing goes, most of the Asians I know and am friends with do a mixture of things and not just Asian. The more traditional ones prefer to live around others, but the more westernized ones only care if they have a few good Asian markets within reach, see other Asians around a little, and can get good Asian food when they want within reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 PM

669 posts, read 914,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
But as far as the Asian thing goes, most of the Asians I know and am friends with do a mixture of things and not just Asian. The more traditional ones prefer to live around others, but the more westernized ones only care if they have a few good Asian markets within reach, see other Asians around a little, and can get good Asian food when they want within reach.
You don't have to tell me this. The group I hang out very well diversely mixed. I am not White either. I am of Armenian origin so technically I am of Asian origin too. But I look more like a light Hispanic. Anytime someone has asked me what I am 90% of the time it's been something Hispanic like Puerto Rican, Colombian etc. So technically I guess I am not really all that Asian. But I have more than enough Asian friends. And I have heard it from them that it's more comfortable having a bunch of people of your own race because they can understand a lot things better. And I have heard this from people other races have too. So I get how some people would look for that. The OP being Asian, if this stuff really matters to him, in my view it would be better in the other cities than Chicago that's all I am saying.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
I live in Chicago. We have had 4 Asian Au Pairs (3 Thai, 1 Chinese) over the last 8 years. All of them have loved it here. Had no problems getting along with people. Two never left, one is married to a white guy.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
I was impressed with Chicago's Chinatown. It's not on the same level as NYC or SF but considering it's in the heart of the Midwest, while the preponderance of the Chinese population is on the coasts, it's pretty vibrant and boasts a substantial array of gift shops, herbal shops, restaurants, markets, etc. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that it's not only one of the older Chinatowns in the US, but also the only remaining Chinatown (besides Argyle Street) in thousands of miles.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
^Okay, maybe not thousands... Toronto isn't that far... but certainly w/in hundreds of miles.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Even though I don't live in Chicago ( have visited many times), it must be pointed out that much of the Asian influence can be found in Chicagoland's northern suburbs ( higher percentages)..

Old 05-31-2013, 03:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Even though I don't live in Chicago ( have visited many times), it must be pointed out that much of the Asian influence can be found in Chicagoland's northern suburbs ( higher percentages)..
Yes, this is what I was saying before. It starts in a few northern areas of Lakeview just south of Uptown and leaks into Uptown, Lincoln Square, Edgewater, West Ridge, Albany Park, North Park and then spews out into the burbs right near there like Glenview, Niles, etc. Koreatown was once ALL Korean (now it's like 50% Korean, 50% Mexican) but if you are smart, you know you don't have to travel far to see where they all moved once they got more money. There are some areas of these suburbs where almost everything is entirely in Korean.

Asian percentages of some suburbs...some of these may include Indian:
Morton Grove: 28%
Lincolnwood: 26.7%
Skokie: 25.5%
Oak Brook: 23.2%
Glendale Heights: 19.97%
Schaumburg: 19.8%
Vernon Hills: 19.3%
Hanover Park: 15.2%
Hoffman Estates: 15.07%
Streamwood: 15%
Burr Ridge: 14.8%
Bartlett: 14.4%
Niles: 12.68%
Bloomingdale: 12.7%
Naperville: 12.65%
Glenview: 12.5%
Oakbrook Terrace: 12.22%
Westmont: 11.95%
Northbrook: 11.7%
Mount Prospect: 11.7%
Wheeling: 11.7%
Des Plaines: 11.4%
Bollingbrook: 11.38%
Woodridge: 11.27%
Carol Stream: 11.2%
Palatine: 10.3%
Elk Grove Village: 10.1%
Willowbrook: 10.01%
Lisle: 9.79%
Darien: 9.53%
Evanston: 8.6%
Rolling Meadows: 8.2%

Last edited by marothisu; 05-31-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 PM

415 posts, read 764,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
You don't have to tell me this. The group I hang out very well diversely mixed. I am not White either. I am of Armenian origin so technically I am of Asian origin too. But I look more like a light Hispanic. Anytime someone has asked me what I am 90% of the time it's been something Hispanic like Puerto Rican, Colombian etc. So technically I guess I am not really all that Asian. But I have more than enough Asian friends. And I have heard it from them that it's more comfortable having a bunch of people of your own race because they can understand a lot things better. And I have heard this from people other races have too. So I get how some people would look for that. The OP being Asian, if this stuff really matters to him, in my view it would be better in the other cities than Chicago that's all I am saying.

wow you gonna Take that' marothisu , pfft....

Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 PM

415 posts, read 764,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, I understand that. When someone who lives there says A or B, then yeah.... statistically yes, but the point is that Chicago is much bigger than the other cities (even San Fran) and it's hard to actually compare them all. Percentages only do so much, and as I have pointed out, if your world is in certain areas, it can be just as good. I know people in many cities who only stay within the same 3 mile radius ever, so to them their world is much different than someone else's maybe even though it's in the same city. Someone who barely ever leaves Chinatown in San Fran may have a skewed view of the city overall.

WOW''' you gonna take that BS yyuusr , Pfft i wouldnt ...

Old 06-01-2013, 05:03 PM

669 posts, read 914,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
wow you gonna Take that' marothisu , pfft....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
WOW''' you gonna take that BS yyuusr , Pfft i wouldnt ...
What the hell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City