Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 11:39 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picsesmauve957 View Post
Total Amen to that, I lived in Texas for part of my childhood and loved it, I still go back to visit a lot.

I say the state we could live without is Louisiana, well it's gonna be underwater soon anyways, so what's the point in nuking it?
Don't get your hopes up, minus New Orleans, every major city in the State is going to remain above sea level after global warming is finished with it. Also I hope you don't enjoy seafood b/c the more salt water that intrudes into the fresh water marshes, seafood (a staple of most American diets) becomes more and more outrageously expensive. The same goes for sugar. I hope you love high fructose corn syrup. Don't you remember how much better coke tasted before the switched out good ol' fashioned sugar with HFCS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 12:42 AM

4 posts, read 12,326 times
Well, let's see:

Get rid of Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and we lose the majority of the fresh water which is essential to life. Michigan also supplies a lot of the copper we need for wires to carry electricity. Indiana and also PA with it's steel. Not to mention all the agriculture.

Cut out Kentucky and we lose Jack Daniels Black and the Kentucky Derby.

Cut out eastern TN and KY and we lose coal which we heavily depend on for energy needs.

Idaho with it's agriculture.

The rural states with a lot of the beef we eat.

LA with it's ports bringing in merchandise and raw materials needed for production. Not to mention the oil rigs in their portion of the Gulf of Mexico.

Texas with the cotton, oil, and now all the computer software programmers and programs, Dell computer, a major airline hub (American Airlines), computer geeks moving here FROM CA., the oil rigs in the gulf and on land not to mention the refineries, (I guess you all don't mind giving up your driving), and the ports of Galveston and Houston.

Now, CA - there's a waste. They haven't built a new refinery in at least 30 or 40 years, they won't build a nuclear power plant, they won't burn coal so they have gone into bankruptcy several times because they had to buy their energy from other states. The rest of the country has to keep bailing them out because they won't allow dead trees and bushes to be moved out thus giving more food to fires to burn down their forrests and homes, not to mention the rebuilding after earthquakes. They have a major city that once a year lets a crowd of people have orgies on the streets in front of children.

They're losing their silicon valley to Washington state and Texas. I think we can very easily get along without CA.

Johnny P

Old 12-16-2007, 12:46 AM

89 posts, read 100,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
The US would be better off without California south of San Luis Obispo. I mean seriously with all the crap that Hollywood puts out there we could bomb the place into oblivian and start over fresh
Hey, what about Orange County, and San Diego? Way to be generalized.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Oregon is a blue state. Suprised you would bash it.
Only because of the population of the city of Portland.

For me I would think Rhode Island and Delaware mainly because both states are so small that they might as well be annexed into a neighboring state.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:49 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
The US would be better off without California south of San Luis Obispo. I mean seriously with all the crap that Hollywood puts out there we could bomb the place into oblivian and start over fresh
California north of San Luis wouldn't mind this at all.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:43 AM

89 posts, read 100,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
Don't get your hopes up, minus New Orleans, every major city in the State is going to remain above sea level after global warming is finished with it. Also I hope you don't enjoy seafood b/c the more salt water that intrudes into the fresh water marshes, seafood (a staple of most American diets) becomes more and more outrageously expensive. The same goes for sugar. I hope you love high fructose corn syrup. Don't you remember how much better coke tasted before the switched out good ol' fashioned sugar with HFCS.
Well, I never thoguht of it that way...

Old 12-16-2007, 07:48 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,761 times
Exclamation ???

I know this is a question that someone has posted just to get a rise out of people, or to alleviate some boredom, or???, but I don't think we can live without any of these 50 United States.....my two cents worth....but I don't plan to return to read any more of this post.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
I know this is a question that someone has posted just to get a rise out of people, or to alleviate some boredom, or???, but I don't think we can live without any of these 50 United States.....my two cents worth....but I don't plan to return to read any more of this post.
Damn skippy.

I personally dislike certain states; but, aside from maybe annexing/combining a few or, for that matter. realigning some of the state lines---------the total area of the USA can stay the same. Arizona comes to mind; we would be better off handing the Arizona Strip (N of the Grand Canyon) to Utah and it would probably help both states.

Now; if Canada and/or Mexico were to show genuine signs of disintegration, I would have no heartburn adding a star or three to Old Glory

Old 12-16-2007, 03:10 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Damn skippy.

I personally dislike certain states; but, aside from maybe annexing/combining a few or, for that matter. realigning some of the state lines---------the total area of the USA can stay the same. Arizona comes to mind; we would be better off handing the Arizona Strip (N of the Grand Canyon) to Utah and it would probably help both states.

Now; if Canada and/or Mexico were to show genuine signs of disintegration, I would have no heartburn adding a star or three to Old Glory
AH! Now re-alignment is another thing...

Old 12-16-2007, 06:49 PM

61 posts, read 258,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post

Now, CA - there's a waste. They haven't built a new refinery in at least 30 or 40 years, they won't build a nuclear power plant, they won't burn coal so they have gone into bankruptcy several times because they had to buy their energy from other states.
i don't understand why you say we won't build a nuclear power plant...we have two operational nuclear generating plants in california- san onofre & diablo canyon. why is it a bad thing that we have more stringent guidelines for clear air, water, and energy? our energy crisis came from greedy corporations a$$ raping us and manipulating the market. just because we choose not to burn coal like cavemen and we actually give a crap about the environment of the state we live in does not justify such blatant unethical practices by the energy cartel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post

The rest of the country has to keep bailing them out because they won't allow dead trees and bushes to be moved out thus giving more food to fires to burn down their forrests and homes, not to mention the rebuilding after earthquakes.
how is the *rest* of the country bailing us out? we put waaaay more into the pot than we take out- trust me! when was the last big earthquake we've had requiring massive rebuilding? anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that CA is a major donor state. the amount of taxes we pay annually is NO WHERE near the amount we receive in return for our natural disasters.

what is this nonsense about us not allowing dead trees & bushes to be cut back? in our state parks they employ controlled burns to thin the forest back and anyone that lives in an urban wildlife interface knows to take care of the brush surrounding their homes... but accidents (or arson/nature) happens. wildfires are a fact of life here just like tornadoes are a fact of life in iowa or hurricanes are in florida. with all of our wildfires, random earthquakes or any other disaster aid we may draw on.. it's still a mere drop in the bucket compared to what we put into the system. i love how california is always made out to be this drain on the US. we contribute more and receive less than the most of those welfare, leech states.

and as far as lousiana being useful for the port.. Los Angeles is home to the busiest port in the all of the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City