Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,270 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Boston in July and have rented a place in the Back Bay. I'm not too familiar with the other neighborhoods of Boston, however. Right now, I live in Lakeview in Chicago, and I love it. I was wondering if anyone that's familiar with neighborhoods in both Chicago and Boston would comment on any neighborhoods in Boston that are similar to Lakeview in Chicago? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylyon View Post
Hi, I'm moving to Boston in July and have rented a place in the Back Bay. I'm not too familiar with the other neighborhoods of Boston, however. Right now, I live in Lakeview in Chicago, and I love it. I was wondering if anyone that's familiar with neighborhoods in both Chicago and Boston would comment on any neighborhoods in Boston that are similar to Lakeview in Chicago? Thanks!
I am very familiar with Boston and lived there a few years. I've visited Chicago a few times recently but am definitely not as familiar with it.

I think Back Bay is about what you are looking for though - great shopping, beautiful architecture, upscale environment, good transit, downtown is easily accessible.

Other neighborhoods you may like are the South End, Beacon Hill and maybe the North End. What was it about Lakeview in particular that you are hoping to find in your Boston neighborhood?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Back Bay is fairly pricey,and it seems like the 20 something crowd that lives in Lakeview tends to congregate to more inexpensive outlying areas such as Davis and Porter Sq and other parts of Cambridge/Somerville.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Could you give some more details about Lakeview? I'm not sure everyone here knows a lot about it haha.

If it's the "cool" place to go after graduating, there are several places. As Oakparkdude mentioned, Davis and Porter square are both popular. Other spots include Allston, Brighton, and Southie...Southie is especially popular and it's a great neighborhood (depending on where you go). Another popular place is the North End (usually young and with a couple of bucks to spend). You could argue it's the best city in the neighborhood. It's not as cheap as Southie or one of the spots outside the city, but it's not as expensive as Back Back either.

Regardless, you've got lots of options.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Lakeview is a very busy and dense neighborhood on the north lakefront. It's about 100,000 people, borders Lake Michigan with its harbors, lakefront path, beaches, etc. The neighborhood contains Boystown, which is the center of the gay community and has around 20 bars lined up in a fairly tight row, and just a few minutes walk west is Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville with dozens of other bars lining the area. Dozens of restaurants, very walkable, lots of local and express bus lines, transit stops and the Red/Brown lines that run through the north side into downtown.

It's very popular with young college grads as well as young families.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
And in case anybody familiar with Boston wants to offer their advice but isn't familiar with Lakeview, then here's a video:

Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Lakeview is a very busy and dense neighborhood on the north lakefront. It's about 100,000 people, borders Lake Michigan with its harbors, lakefront path, beaches, etc. The neighborhood contains Boystown, which is the center of the gay community and has around 20 bars lined up in a fairly tight row, and just a few minutes walk west is Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville with dozens of other bars lining the area. Dozens of restaurants, very walkable, lots of local and express bus lines, transit stops and the Red/Brown lines that run through the north side into downtown.

It's very popular with young college grads as well as young families.
Ah ok, much of what you described fits the South End. Usually considered the "gayest" of neighborhoods haha...it too is a very dense, at about 35,000 ppsm in 1 square mile of area. It's extremely walkable and has beautiful architecture. It borders Back Bay, the Theater District and Fenway. It has a lot of bars, restaurants, cafes, etc. too. It is covered very well by buses and has access to both the Green and Red lines...though they don't go directly through the neighborhood, just on the edges (it's a small enough neighborhood though). However it's quite expensive and isn't terribly popular with the younger crowd. The cooler neighborhood for the younger crowd would be Allston/Brighton. It's much cheaper, and has tons of bars, etc. It's also popular with the gay crowd, so if that's what you're looking for it shouldn't be a problem.

One benefit that Boston may have over Chicago is that since it's so much smaller, its neighborhoods are potentially more connected/accessible. If you've got an apartment in Back Bay, you're talking a 10-15 minute walk to the South End regardless of what part of Back Bay you're living in. You're also just minutes from Beacon Hill, and Kenmore/Fenway. You really can't lose in Back Bay. Also in Back Bay, Allston/Brighton, Beacon Hill you'll have direct access to the Charles River.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
And in case anybody familiar with Boston wants to offer their advice but isn't familiar with Lakeview, then here's a video:

After looking at that video, I didn't realize how varied Lakeview was! It seems like it's probably a combination of the contiguous South End, Back Bay, Kenmore areas. According to its Wiki, Lakeview has about 95,000 in 3.16 square miles. This combination of Boston neighborhoods would be about 80,000 in 2.04 square miles, so they're comparably sized. It's served by three-four subway lines (one orange, two-three branches of green), lots of bus lines, beautiful architecture, parks (Back Bay Fens, Charles River Esplanade, Comm Ave Mall, Copley Square, along with many beautiful parks scattered throughout the South End). However this expanded neighborhood is still quite expensive.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 06-12-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
One benefit that Boston may have over Chicago is that since it's so much smaller, its neighborhoods are potentially more connected/accessible. If you've got an apartment in Back Bay, you're talking a 10-15 minute walk to the South End regardless of what part of Back Bay you're living in. You're also just minutes from Beacon Hill, and Kenmore/Fenway. You really can't lose in Back Bay. Also in Back Bay, Allston/Brighton, Beacon Hill you'll have direct access to the Charles River.
Meh, I disagree...they are similar. You can easily live in Lakeview and walk 15 minutes and be in Lincoln Park, or Uptown, or North Center...just depends on where you live in the neighborhood, but it's fairly quick to get from one neighborhood to another (and if you don't want to walk, there's the train where it's also easy and fast).

Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Meh, I disagree...they are similar. You can easily live in Lakeview and walk 15 minutes and be in Lincoln Park, or Uptown, or North Center...just depends on where you live in the neighborhood, but it's fairly quick to get from one neighborhood to another (and if you don't want to walk, there's the train where it's also easy and fast).
I'm not saying they're not accessible, but they're far larger. For example, the Wiki of Lakeview said it was 3.16 sq miles, while the Lincoln Park Wiki says it's 3.19 square miles. In that 6.35 square miles, you can fit Back Bay, Beacon Hill, the South End, Boston Common, the theater district, Chinatown and probably the North End and Downtown Boston haha. Those are 7+ neighborhoods, each with their own vibe and unique set of architecture.

There's no doubt Chicago is well-connected, but in this case Boston's smaller footprint/neighborhoods give better pedestrian access than larger areas like Chitown.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
tmac noted that Lakeview is actually pretty big and its boundaries are about as large as a few different contiguous neighborhoods in Boston. Having neighborhoods not be quite apples to apples is pretty common since neighborhoods between cities and even within a city can have significantly different sizes. In trying to compare Lakeview and the Boston neighborhoods mentioned, it might make sense to break Lakeview further down into smaller parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City