Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is "The City" to you?
San Francisco 62 27.19%
New York City 87 38.16%
Boston 7 3.07%
Chicago 30 13.16%
Los Angeles 3 1.32%
Washington DC 7 3.07%
Philadelphia 10 4.39%
San Diego 0 0%
Seattle 7 3.07%
Atlanta 15 6.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
California isn't representative of the nation. Even SNL boosts stuff like Greatest city on earth. It is mentioned in the media. Where is SF ever mentioned in national media as "the city" there isn't even national media coming out of SF.
Never said it was, it sure is part of the "nation" though.

Who cares about what the media boosts? I'm talking about what actual people say in real life, not SNL. Not sure what the phrase "Greatest City on Earth" has do with anything as we are talking about the term "The City" here either.

Last edited by sav858; 07-03-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:36 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irapuato100 View Post
Yes, thank you. You explained it much better than me.

Only NYC and SF are "The City" in terms of colloquial usage. Every major city is "the city" in regards to immediate surroundings.
You didn't make this clear in the OP.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Mercer County (where Trenton is) is more NYC oriented, in my opinion, than Philly so they would probably mean NYC (really Manhattan though, like everyone else in the region) when saying "the city". Extreme southern Jersey refers to Philly as "the city", while the northern portion of the Jersey Shore and I would say most of Central Jersey are referring to NYC. But the lines are blurred the further south you head in NJ, and I'm betting it could go person to person in many cases rather than regionally as a whole.
It really depends. It's more of a diagonal line divide than a true North/South divide. Towns along the Delaware River will probably lean more towards Philly than NYC when referring to "the city". I'd say it reaches as far north as the extreme southern parts of Hunderton County, NJ. There is no denying that out of all the counties located in Central Jersey, Mercer County leans more towards Philly the most.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 07-03-2013 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
howard stern sez NYC

and Philly # 2

Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
howard stern sez NYC

and Philly # 2
Why is Howard Stern still relevant in 2013?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
California isn't representative of the nation.
And neither is New York City.

Quote:
Even SNL boosts stuff like Greatest city on earth. It is mentioned in the media. Where is SF ever mentioned in national media as "the city" there isn't even national media coming out of SF.
And none of this has anything to do with this thread.

As a matter of fact, SF is referred to as "The City" in Northern California whether outsiders think it's proper or not, and this has been the case since the 1840s.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
The only reason the national media refers to Manhattan as the city is because the national media is based there. Why do you think NJ has a bad reputation throughout the whole country? What does the average person know about NJ? Nothing except what they hear/see in the media, which again is NY-based.

(Not saying anything against real New Yorkers... they tend to be the NYC residents who have the most respect for NJ. It's usually transplants doing the whining.)

Old 07-03-2013, 07:24 PM

541 posts, read 912,438 times
I am from Upstate NY so its NYC.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:29 PM

541 posts, read 912,438 times
People tend to think Upstate is the antithesis of everything NYC in terms of people but its really not, at least where I am.

There are over 8 million down in the city, people dont think they have FAMILY upstate? You dont run into someone where im from without having a family member there. (although where im from is heavily Italian like pretty much everywhere else in the Northeast).

I mean its not LI or Jersey but Upstate is still pretty close. Its also within state borders, so its still New York schools, taxes, etc. that many leave the city for. The cost of living is much less but you still get the benefit of what the state provides.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irapuato100 View Post
You don't get it. Obviously if you said "the city" it would refer to DC. "The City", in caps, is well-known as NYC in DC. I know this because I grew up in Wisconsin, and had never heard the term until I moved to Bethesda. There, everyone knows what "The City" means.

We're talking about "The City", as a proper term, like "The District".
Oh really? Because I was born and raised in the DC metro area and NOT ONCE has anyone mentioned New York City, a city more than 4 hours to our north, as "The City" as far as I've known. Around here, when we say "The City" or most of the time "Da City", we're talking about DC...not the NYC or Manhattan. Nothing lower case about it. We all capitalize on it. I don't refer to New York as such because I don't live in its metro area or its outer boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City