Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California (cities and nature) vs NYC, Bos and PHI (with surrounding nature)
California 36 61.02%
NYC/Bos/Phi 23 38.98%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Give me New England over that 1800s upstart in the west any day.

But in all seriousness, if the surrounding area of Boston is included (including Newport, Lowell, Providence, Cape Cod, Portsmouth, etc.) it's definitely too much charm and greatness for CA to match.
California has a lot of charming towns, too. Solvang, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ojai, Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Maria, Carmel, Del Mar, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
California has a lot of charming towns, too. Solvang, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ojai, Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Maria, Carmel, Del Mar, etc.
Meh, I don't know. After google-imaging a few of those, I still think New England has much better small towns than CA. The CA towns might dominate in scenery though, from what I saw on google images.

But in terms of walkability, architecture, and that sort of thing, imo (i guess) Portsmouth > Solvang.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Meh, I don't know. After google-imaging a few of those, I still think New England has much better small towns than CA. The CA towns might dominate in scenery though, from what I saw on google images.

But in terms of walkability, architecture, and that sort of thing, imo (i guess) Portsmouth > Solvang.
To each his own, but I like walking in January when it can be 70-85 degrees on some days.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
To each his own, but I like walking in January when it can be 70-85 degrees on some days.
Yeah, and I like walking around in blizzards in January. And I love having orange, yellow, and red trees in the fall.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:

Eh those are pretty different types of small town. One (Portsmouth) a regional center of 20k, the other (Solvang) a quaint Danish-influenced town of 5k.

I've actually experienced small towns / cities in both regions - as bad as Google Maps is for big cities, it is 100x worse for a small town. I wouldn't say either region is significantly better than the other for quaint, scenic, walkable small towns. Both do very well in this regard.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and I like walking around in blizzards in January. And I love having orange, yellow, and red trees in the fall.
You can have the blizzards and freezing weather!

Many of the trees here also are colorful in the autumn...

Along with beautiful sunsets...

Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Eh those are pretty different types of small town. One (Portsmouth) a regional center of 20k, the other (Solvang) a quaint Danish-influenced town of 5k.

I've actually experienced small towns / cities in both regions - as bad as Google Maps is for big cities, it is 100x worse for a small town. I wouldn't say either region is significantly better than the other for quaint, scenic, walkable small towns. Both do very well in this regard.
Fair enough. I'll trust your judgement as you seem to have more experience with the two areas than I do.

On the other hand, perhaps one could say that the Boston area has a higher concentration of nice walk able little cities than any one area of California. I mean Newport, Portsmouth, Provincetown, Salem, etc. is quite an impressive line-up, imo for a single metro.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
See, to me that's terrible. Here in SP it gets down to like 55-60 degrees in winter at the coldest and I treasure those moments...but then this weekend/last Friday it was 75-80 degrees. I love the cooler temperatures. However I do hate February and early March in Boston...it's just too much after awhile.

But I still really dislike warm weather in winter.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
See, to me that's terrible. Here in SP it gets down to like 55-60 degrees in winter at the coldest and I treasure those moments...but then this weekend/last Friday it was 75-80 degrees. I love the cooler temperatures. However I do hate February and early March in Boston...it's just too much after awhile.

But I still really dislike warm weather in winter.
It's not always 70-85 degrees at the places I mentioned. I said "some days." Other days it an be quite cool, too.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:55 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
It's not always 70-85 degrees at the places I mentioned. I said "some days." Other days it an be quite cool, too.
This seems to have more to do with personal preference. Personally I love having 4 distinct seasons but there are probably millions of Californians who simple hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City