Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:21 PM

33 posts, read 51,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I've long thought that television market was the best indicator for what most people thought of as their community.
The Los Angeles TV market runs out to the borders of Arizona and Nevada, and way up to Bishop in Inyo County (266 miles from downtown LA, per Google driving directions).

Bishop and all of Inyo County are in the LA TV market, but do you believe that those folks feel part of the Los Angeles "community'? I wonder if they might feel that about the only connection that they really have with LA is getting LA stations on their cable?

This is true for a large number of TV markets, not just LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It's pretty hard to compare apples for apples in this because places across the country are so different. The N.E. is so different from the rest of the country that it can't really be compared. Take D.C. and Baltimore for instance. They both fit inside the Atlanta MSA and Chicago MSA yet they each have their own TV market etc. The country is just too different to compare side by side. The south and west sprawl so much cities don't really form one urban area like the BOS-Wash corridor does.
You are absolutely correct. Yes, N.E. is different. Yes, many markets sprawl, but some don't very much.

Be that as it may, markets are in fact compared side-by-side every day in every way. Even if it is not apples-to-apples.

I really am curious to know, since people and businesses and organizations and the media are going to rank markets all the time anyway, do you have any opinions on which criteria might be better to use than others?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Philadelphia market is ranked number 4 in the nation, just behind chicago.
Do you feel that the number 4 TV rank is the only one that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
In TV yes. But it is 8th in radio, 6th in MSA, 7th in CSA, and 5th in Urban Area. Still, Philly is a very huge market in the USA.
Absolutely right on the money. What opinion do you have on which metrics are more or less important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The Philly area is made up of multiple radio markets so that's a misleading statistic along with MSA and urban area for other reasons. It's best to just stick with market size for this kind of discussion.
Would you help me understand what you mean by "misleading statistic" as related to Radio Markets?

Just as one example, Lehigh County is in the Allentown-Bethlehem Radio Market, but is ine Philadelphia TV Market. Just a guess, but probably a large percentage of people there affiliate more as Allentown or Lehigh Valley than as Philadelphia, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Honestly the tv market has some problems with it as well. None are perfect.
Yes, none are perfect, but please share your thoughts on the relative merits or demerits of the different ways of measuring market size.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agreed there is no perfect metric
Since none are perfect, which have more or less value, in your opinion?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:50 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketSleuth View Post
Do you feel that the number 4 TV rank is the only one that matters?

Absolutely right on the money. What opinion do you have on which metrics are more or less important?

Would you help me understand what you mean by "misleading statistic" as related to Radio Markets?

Just as one example, Lehigh County is in the Allentown-Bethlehem Radio Market, but is ine Philadelphia TV Market. Just a guess, but probably a large percentage of people there affiliate more as Allentown or Lehigh Valley than as Philadelphia, don't you think?

Yes, none are perfect, but please share your thoughts on the relative merits or demerits of the different ways of measuring market size.

Thanks.

Since none are perfect, which have more or less value, in your opinion?
Depends on the question at hand really

You referenced Allentown for example. Its part of its own MSA and UA, part of the Philly TV Market (DMA) and part of the NYC CSA (Same goes for Trenton NJ part of the Philly TV Market connected continuously as part of the UA (though population is not added) and part of the NYC CSA (14 years ago it was actually part of the Philly MSA)

They all kind of do different things

For built up metro size to me UA
For most calculations MSA
For media influence and affiliation DMA
For regional commerce influence CSA

But again no matter which metric there will situations where the criteria of any of these dont always make best sense for a particular place and my comments are more generalized in what I think they do a decent job of measuring

Old 07-31-2013, 03:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:

You referenced Allentown for example. Its part of its own MSA and UA, part of the Philly TV Market (DMA) and part of the NYC CSA (Same goes for Trenton NJ part of the Philly TV Market connected continuously as part of the UA (though population is not added) and part of the NYC CSA (14 years ago it was actually part of the Philly MSA)

But again no matter which metric there will situations where the criteria of any of these dont always make best sense for a particular place and my comments are more generalized in what I think they do a decent job of measuring
In regards to the metrics used for the Philly area, this post explains it quite nicely.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
Toronto's St. Lawrence Market was just ranked best in the world by National Geographic.

Top 10 Food Markets -- National Geographic
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ce-market.html

Old 07-31-2013, 04:15 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Toronto's St. Lawrence Market was just ranked best in the world by National Geographic.

Top 10 Food Markets -- National Geographic
St. Lawrence ranked world's best food market - Toronto - CBC News
Lol?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
In regards to the metrics used for the Philly area, this post explains it quite nicely.
Thank you both, kidphilly for your thoughtful analysis and gwillyfromphilly for the dittos.

Please allow me a bit of followup.

1. Do you feel that the Arbitron Radio Markets are just irrelevant, or exactly why have you excluded it?

2. Are you aware of any other quantitative metrics which do an even better job of measuring certain aspects of some markets?

Thanks much.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketSleuth View Post
The Los Angeles TV market runs out to the borders of Arizona and Nevada, and way up to Bishop in Inyo County (266 miles from downtown LA, per Google driving directions).
I guess that my line of thinking may have made more sense prior to cable and satellite. And I also am thinking more along the lines of news coverage. Neither of those places are covered on our local news. Wouldn't they be better covered by TV stations in Palm Springs and Bakersfield? Or somewhere even closer.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I guess that my line of thinking may have made more sense prior to cable and satellite. And I also am thinking more along the lines of news coverage. Neither of those places are covered on our local news. Wouldn't they be better covered by TV stations in Palm Springs and Bakersfield? Or somewhere even closer.
Apparently, Nielsen does not make their Designated Market Area (DMA) info or maps available online to non-subscribers (at least no one I know can find it if it is out there somewhere).

The FCC has officially adopted these, using the term Television Market Areas (TMAs), as the areas for the cable must-carry/retransmission consent election. (47 CFR § 76.55), and are defined by reference to DMA Market and Demographic Rank Report, by Nielsen Media Research

A number of firms, such as advertising agencies and others, have created maps which may or may not be absolutely up to date with any changes (which I understand are rather rare).

Anyway, here are links to DMA maps of the markets which you mentioned. I am using ones from Newport Media because they are brightly colored and easier to read than some others.

Palm Springs: just the middle third of Riverside County.
Designated Market Area Detail Map

Bakersfield: just the western portion of Kern County

Los Angeles: all of 5 counties and the remaining portions of Kern and Riverside

By the way, these humongous TV markets that extend for hundreds of miles are not at all unusual. There are exactly 210 TMAs (DMAs), and maybe up to half of them are quite extensive, covering lots of rural areas, because every square inch of the Lower 48 must be assigned to exactly one TV market.

Hope this sheds some light on the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City