Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Canada 98 36.98%
United States 167 63.02%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:04 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Maybe Tom Brokaw can explain it to you:

And no Canadians are not anti-American, however we do question some of your political and social policies, but its all in good fun.
Oh yes, calling America a third world hellhole full of starving minorities is all in good fun! What a class act you are Mr. Burns. You disparage the U.S. at every opportunity (in the U.S. section of C-D no less!) and then force down our throats the idea that Canadians are modest and kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 07:35 PM

615 posts, read 599,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Oh yes, calling America a third world hellhole full of starving minorities is all in good fun! What a class act you are Mr. Burns. You disparage the U.S. at every opportunity (in the U.S. section of C-D no less!) and then force down our throats the idea that Canadians are modest and kind.
"America a third world hellhole full of starving minorities"

lol no.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:45 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,288,028 times
Mr. Burns vs Manitopiaaa

Canada and the US sure picked the crème de la crème for this battle of stupidity. Bravo!

Old 06-18-2017, 07:14 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Canada for all the reasons mentioned. I don't see how the USA can continue as it is. It's not just because of Trump either. The societal problems in America are so severe now. I just don't see how we can go on indefinitely. The crime and violence. It's as if many are numb to how severe it is. The, lack of proper healthcare. As far as I'm concerned many don't care, as long as they have it.The inequality of its citizens. Immigrants pouring in but we can't take care of our own people. Something is mentally ill with a country that operates like this one.

Canada isn't perfect but it seems to do a much better job.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
I'm from the US, but agree that Canada does several things way better. Healthcare and public transit are the two most obvious examples. Pound for pound, a Canadian city will do better than an equivalent US city on transit.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:48 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
Except for weather, Canada would probably be the better country to live in for the bottom 80% of Americans. Even weather is comparable for much of New England, the Midwest, and the PNW.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,904 times
The American mindset is very "American". Canada hasn't developed a strong identity, so it feels more international. I'm not from America and I prefer Canada.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:47 PM

279 posts, read 316,608 times
I am a person who moved to the USA back in 2009. First to Atlanta, then to Tampa, then to Boston. I grew up in the metro-Toronto area, and went to college in Toronto. While both countries are pretty excellent places to live, the reality is that the United States has so much more to offer for lifestyle. The places I lived in the US, might as well be different countries. They really are so much different. That's the thing most Canadians don't quite get. When Americans talk about the country being called the "United States" it really is like a collection of countries united by a common currency, and certain values.

The reason it's so hard to compare Canadian-anything to US-anything is because these are such staggeringly different countries. Yet, Canadians and Americans are similar people with pretty similar values. This means that while the countries (and states, for that matter) are so different, most Canadians could find a very comfortable place to live in the US, and most Americans could find a very comfortable place to live in Canada.

The big difference is that the US is ***much*** more variant in it's living space. There is no place like SoCal in Canada, there's no place like Phoenix in Canada, there's no place like Boston in Canada, there's no place like Hawaii in Canada. Geographically, the US is fascinating. Culturally, places like Alabama or Tennessee don't exist in Canada. That's the part that makes the US so cool.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:31 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Canada is an amazing, fascinating, beautiful, prosperous, and multicultural nation who is a loyal ally of the United States. People from Canada are blessed to be from Canada, as people in the United States are blessed to be from the United States (yes, even our poor people, regardless of what some lovers of Bernie or Trudeau might have to say).

Ultimately, however, for reasons of economic and military strength, geographic and cultural diversities, cost of living (sans the expensive places like California, NYC, and Boston), and overall postsecondary educational opportunities (despite the cost), my vote is for the good ol' U.S.A. I'm an American, through and through, and "ain't nothin'" gonna change that!

The only Canadian cities I'd probably ever consider living in are Vancouver and Victoria, for climate alone (temperature, that is, as there's still a lot of cloud cover year-round). Toronto and Montreal might have as much or more to offer than American cities such as Houston, Atlanta, or Seattle, but their climates are too cold and depressing for me about six months out of the year.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:09 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,816 times
What's with the sentiment on this site that the poor in the US live such terrible lives compared with the poor in other countries? There are poor people in rural america that own ACRES of land, trucks, guns you name it. All of our poor have access to subsidized healthcare, housing, cell phones, groceries AND have a stronger currency/lower cost of living than the vast majority of other countries. I just read a study that the average person in Arkansas(one of the poorest states) has more expendable income than the average person in western europe. These people are living like kings compared to the poor in most other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City