Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:45 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
How about rock bluffs with water running through them, such as the Ozarks in Missouri? There's also the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, which is a popular destination for people in the Southern Midwest.
You guys are trying to hard. The poster clearly has an extremely narrow view of what they find worthwhile. Giving more examples are just more examples they'll dismiss as worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Newsflash, hipster-filled beaches, brown hills regularly on fire and smog-cloaked sprawl are not exactly awe-inspiring.
I hear all the time on the news people in SCal saying "Awe crap, my house is on fire" and "Awe ****, there goes my house sliding down into the canyon" and "awe dam-it, I can't tell which house is mine"

Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Fix detroit or I will beat you with a cane.
I actually fixed it yesterday, so we're good.

Detroit makes up less than 1% of the land area in Michigan. Maybe less than
0.1%? Anyway, if Michigan was a dart board, Detroit proper would be worth 1 billion points.

In other news, I actually like visiting Detroit and it will be especially nice to visit now that I've fixed it. The only problem is that I'm busy living my life elsewhere in the state and visiting other parts of the state in my free time because it's a big freaking state.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:18 PM

555 posts, read 591,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Yeah, if I went to those areas I wouldn't think the city was very diverse either, and this is coming from someone who lives in Lakeview. Chicago has a lot of diversity, but the city, sadly, remains one of the most segregated in the country. Those areas aren't going to reflect that about a 1/5 of the city's population is foreign born, or that about a 1/3 of the city's population is Hispanic, a 1/3 is white, and that a 1/3 is black. Those areas are all going to skew white, and they're going to be white people of certain socio-economic classes.

As for the Twin Cities, I haven't been there, but I've heard good about Minneapolis.

The thing about the Midwest that people overlook are our cities that used to be much larger than they are now. People assume that they must be dried up hollow shells of what they once were, and, while that's true for some, it's not the case for most. The region's image problem is that people seem to think the Rust Belt cities all must be like Detroit, which isn't the case. Even a city like St. Louis, which makes the news for its crime problem, would surprise you. The city lost 2/3's of its population to the suburbs, but the vast majority of said suburbs remain healthy. The city's crime problem remains relegated to the North St. Louis, and the rest of the city is safe for the most part. The city also still has the cultural institutions that it had when it was one of the largest cities in America. Those institutions, and the fact of how much fun it can be to go out in the city at night, are why I personally know a lot of people who were blown away by St. Louis because they expected Detroit 2.0. That's the image problem the Rust Belt cities need to fix in order to not be seen as flyover country.
Cosmopolitan feel has nothing to do with diversity. Lol. Chicago simply lacks that cosmopolitan global feel where people are truly interested in what's going on in other countries or continents. Reflecting these sentiments Local Chicago papers ans TV stations are very parochial.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Cosmopolitan feel has nothing to do with diversity. Lol. Chicago simply lacks that cosmopolitan global feel where people are truly interested in what's going on in other countries or continents. Reflecting these sentiments Local Chicago papers ans TV stations are very parochial.
I can say the same about insular New Yorkers, some of whom proudly say they do not bother or/and have never ventured out of NYC.

The CA cities only have residents who appear to care more about what goes on in other countries is because most of them ARE from other countries.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-03-2013 at 03:52 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 AM

555 posts, read 591,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I can say the same about insular New Yorkers, some of whom proudly say they do not bother or/and have never ventured out of NYC.

The CA cities only have residents who appear to care more about what goes on in other countries is because most of them ARE from other countries.
Yet those New Yorkers have local papers such as New York Times or Wall Street journal that cover much more than local news. No, New York is a global and cosmopolitan city, one of very few in the us. And no, having Mexican or Asian immigrant population doesn't make any city cosmopolitan. Lol. Try again. Lol.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:04 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Yet those New Yorkers have local papers such as New York Times or Wall Street journal that cover much more than local news. No, New York is a global and cosmopolitan city, one of very few in the us. And no, having Mexican or Asian immigrant population doesn't make any city cosmopolitan. Lol. Try again. Lol.
You really are provincial, flotard. Do you really think that people in any part of the country don't have access to papers from anywhere in the world? Who gets an actual dead tree paper anymore? I subscribe to papers via the internet...most do. I find myself still amazed by some of your comments. NY is not the only global and cosmopolitan city in the US, FYI. Maybe you need to get out more. (Just because you say it, doesn't make it so).

Old 09-03-2013, 05:40 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,552 times
Quote:
Yet those New Yorkers have local papers such as New York Times or Wall Street journal that cover much more than local news. .
And you have proven that a city's level of "cosmopolitan-ness" is based on a well-known dying trade..the ....Newspaper! Uhhh not.
Quote:
No, New York is a global and cosmopolitan city, one of very few in the us.
I have no doubt that NYC is the US city with the highest profile globally, together with LA, because of Hollywood movies and American syndicated TV.
What I had a problem with was this. You said earlier
Quote:
Chicago simply lacks that cosmopolitan global feel where people are truly interested in what's going on in other countries or continents.
THIS. ABOVE.
I call it out as BS. Because NYC does not have a native population who are let me quote you "truly interested in what's going on in other countries or continents". In fact, based on my experience of having lived there for years, New Yorkers are even more insular than Americans elsewhere including coastal Americans, many of them believing that NYC is the center of the universe, the be-all-and-end-all, everything that is needed culturally or otherwise is there, and for the extreme cases, if you leave Manhattan, you fall off the face of the earth.

That's what I said. That NYC's native population is far more insular than Americans in other big cities in the country as well as even regular educated Americans in middle sized inland cities, educated Americans in the inland with four-year college degrees are generally more curious about everything else outside of their immediate day to day purview.

Its nothing to do with the stupid media, what a dumb point. Nobody knows why you even brought that in.

Maybe you can say something like, it's got the 'best newspaper business' in the US. Lol. Yeah..that we might take although even that is somewhat debatable since NY Times is well known to be an ultra left wing Obama ****licker, additionally with an extremist urban-nostalgia agenda, density-fanboys and pro-social welfarism, while Washington Post is definitely more respected for its political news globally.

Quote:
And no, having Mexican or Asian immigrant population doesn't make any city cosmopolitan. Lol. Try again. Lol.
Weren't you guys talking about residents of which cities "caring more about what goes on in other countries"? I said people who live in CA cities care more about other countries, because THEY ARE from OTHER countries. This is so patent and straightforward I don't see how anyone can even put up a fight to try to dispute it. Nobody says anything about being cosmopolitan.

In fact, you were the one who attempted to link cosmopolitan to having residents that care about what goes on in other countries and continents - an illogical and unfounded claim that seems to be plucked out of nowhere in the air that has not received any form of support.

Short term memory loss? No worries let me give you a friendly reminder.
Quote:
Cosmopolitan feel has nothing to do with diversity. Lol. Chicago simply lacks that cosmopolitan global feel where people are truly interested in what's going on in other countries or continents.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-03-2013 at 05:59 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 06:15 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,418 times
everybody in this thread needs to take a deep breath, turn off their computer, and go for a walk outside.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
He just can't help it....something...or someone...happened to him in Chicago and he is forever afflicted with the need to denigrate Chicago/Midwest.

Fascinating really..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City