Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 03:13 PM

281 posts, read 472,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
MSA is the correct way to measure not CSA.

San Antonio, San Diego, & Phoenix don't even have a CSA.
Only when its convenient to your argument huh Matt? Besides the LA CSA acts more like a MSA, same with the Bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 03:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
Texas has a few mountains over by El Paso, I'd hardly call the topography of Texas exciting. Varied climates? What blazing hot and humid and blazing hot and dry? Your deserts? We have Death Valley, the hottest place on Earth. Your coastline? It will never compare to Big Sur. Silicon Hills will never be Silicon Valley. UT-Austin will never be UC-Berkeley or UCLA. You think Houston is big and booming? Greater SF is bigger, denser, and more diverse. Greater LA is almost the size of the entire Texas Triangle combined by population. If Texas was as expensive as California, nobody would move there. While people in Texas debate whether the moon is lit from light reflecting off the Sun because that goes against the Bible, people in California are advancing science and technology for the entire world. Now I'll admit, Texas is a better place to live than a lot of other states. It is a decently nice state. But the arrogance of Texans to think that there state is somehow comparable or more relevant than California is astounding. Texas is like the annoying little step-brother that California holds back with one hand as he swings wildly in the air. The funny part is while the Texas governor takes shots at California all day long, nobody in California even cares or notices. All the rhetoric in Texas holds on to the perceived hope of California's failure. Hoping companies will move from there, hoping California will collapse, etc. Do you ever hear people in California saying "Oh I hope Dell or Exxon will move to California from Texas" or anything like that? No! Texas isn't even on California's radar. I think that is the most telling difference.
Believe me, we wouldn't waste a moment thinking about California if so many Californians weren't moving here.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:11 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Believe me, we wouldn't waste a moment thinking about California if so many Californians weren't moving here.
I'm glad that they are. More of this incredible state for me. They can go ahead and settle.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I'm glad that they are. More of this incredible state for me. They can go ahead and settle.
Whenever I run across them (which is often) they seem absolutely thrilled with their change of locale. Can't say that I blame them. So I guess we're all happy! It's all good.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:00 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:
Whenever I run across them (which is often) they seem absolutely thrilled with their change of locale. Can't say that I blame them. So I guess we're all happy! It's all good.
I don't blame them either. Nothing at all wrong with settling in life when option A doesn't work out. Texas is a decent back up plan.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM

557 posts, read 715,197 times
Quote:
That is great, it is the most populous state so you are more likely to have people moving in from California than from, say, Wyoming or something. It is good for Texas. It just gets annoying when because some Californians are moving to Texas that this somehow means California is dying and Texas is about to overtake it economically or something. It just isn't true. Of course the Californians who left are going to say bad things about California, after all, they left.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
That is great, it is the most populous state so you are more likely to have people moving in from California than from, say, Wyoming or something. It is good for Texas. It just gets annoying when because some Californians are moving to Texas that this somehow means California is dying and Texas is about to overtake it economically or something. It just isn't true. Of course the Californians who left are going to say bad things about California, after all, they left.
I agree with this to some extent. I'm not saying that California is dying or that Texas is about to overtake California economically. I'm just saying that Texas IS a great place to live and it's economy is booming. Couple that with a lower cost of living and it's quite attractive to many people, including many Californians - as evidenced by our massive rate of immigration from other states.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:27 PM

557 posts, read 715,197 times
Quote:
I agree with this to some extent. I'm not saying that California is dying or that Texas is about to overtake California economically. I'm just saying that Texas IS a great place to live and it's economy is booming. Couple that with a lower cost of living and it's quite attractive to many people, including many Californians - as evidenced by our massive rate of immigration from other states.
That is fair. I know I was a bit snarky when defending California, was just sick of the rhetoric about its demise which always seems to be propagated by Texans. I think both states are doing remarkably well, but each has its own problems to solve. Personally I'd rather live in California than Texas, but I'd take Texas over most US states. Heck, living in Wisconsin, I'd take anything that isn't so freaking cold!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 PM

161 posts, read 227,100 times
Quote:
Ridiculous.

Texas has a unique culture, a rich history, a strong economy, booming cities, picturesque rural areas, ports, beaches, mountains, you name it. Texas stands strong on it's own merits. If you can't or don't appreciate those merits, that's fine, but that doesn't negate them in any way.

I love it here. I'm not a native Texan but as they say, I got here as fast as I could. That was 25 years ago and I'm still here and still loving it.

My husband and I have our house on the market and due to the nature of his work, we can live anywhere we want in this nation, and in fact, in many places all over the world. We have the income which would support living in some very expensive places, and some exotic places. No matter - we choose to live in Texas, and it's not even because family lives here (we have family scattered from Guam to England and just about everywhere in between). We just LOVE TEXAS!
Interesting to me, and although I respect your opinion, I just don't get the love for Texas. We are LIVING to get out of here (San Antonio). Sure, it's "cheap" to live here; that's because the salaries are pathetic. So, when I hear "the economy is booming" in Texas, I have to wonder why so many on welfare and food stamps? Why so many uninsured?
Property taxes are very high, as is car insurance. Somebody has to pay for the illegals and takers.
The summers are relentless and non-ending (especially if you come from four seasons).There is NO fall and no trees except in a few state parks you have to drive hours to.
Maybe I just picked the wrong city in Texas, because I do enjoy visits to Tyler, Austin, and Dallas. But this place...graffiti, litter all over, loose dogs...I could go on and on. I look forward to going in to a store and hearing English again.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
That is fair. I know I was a bit snarky when defending California, was just sick of the rhetoric about its demise which always seems to be propagated by Texans. I think both states are doing remarkably well, but each has its own problems to solve. Personally I'd rather live in California than Texas, but I'd take Texas over most US states. Heck, living in Wisconsin, I'd take anything that isn't so freaking cold!
Well, thanks for the olive branch!

I don't get snarky about other states generally - what's the point? People are emotionally and financially attached, not to mention that they often have family and obligations in the states they live in. Who am I to say that their choice of locale is wrong, or that their state is inferior to mine? What gets ME though is when someone feels the necessity to talk smack about MY choice of state apparently to justify THEIR choice of state. It's ridiculous and I'm just not going to take it laying down. Texas has MANY positives - and for me, and my life, and my career, and my family, it's very much a better fit - and therefore more desirable - than California, or ANY other state. That doesn't mean that it's a fit for everyone or should be - or that everyone should like it and wish they lived here (Heaven forbid!).

In other words - and I mean this generally, not directed at you personally - when people feel some sort of compulsion to put down another state, it comes across as trying to justify their own choice of where they live. Personally, I don't need to make any excuses for why I choose to live in Texas - no apologies, and no need to put someone else's choice down in order to feel better about my own choice.

Honestly, it comes across as jealousy - and it's very sophomoric - regardless of who's doing it - Texans OR Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City