Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:28 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times

Advertisements

Texas is cheap. That's what it has going for it. How will Texas fare once poverty and crime ravage the state? We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:48 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Texas is cheap. That's what it has going for it. How will Texas fare once poverty and crime ravage the state? We shall see.
I think its safe to say poverty & crime is confined to the Texas/Mexico border.

Texas is booming & some people are just flat out jealous.

Dallas & Houston ranked 2nd & 3rd in new construction projects this year. Only NYC had more. Seattle ranked 13th. Austin 15th.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mhj45...-new-york-n-y/

Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times
I still say California. Cali grew during the height of US world power. We are not as powerful anymore, in any measurement besides population, so I just dont see the growth in Texas lasting the 40-50 years it did in Cali. Plus, there is something so romantic about California to so many people. It is the most iconic state in the US.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM

11 posts, read 12,417 times
Texas has a much stronger economy than California. Also, if you have not been to Texas please do not assume and stereotype. When I think of California, I think of crime infested cities (LA/Oakland), pollution, bankruptcy, large minority population. California is far from paradise. Texas, though flat, is a very clean and beautiful state in its own way. Stop comparing apples to oranges. I live in the northeast and even my friends and brother on a recent trip remarked at how beautiful and clean Texas kept itself as opposed to Massachusetts. People in Texas live great lives. When it comes to cars, shopping, and appearance, Dallas is certainly competitive with Los Angeles so it is not full of hicks and rednecks. Sorry please stop letting preconceived judgments speak for you. Texas doesn't need California and vice versa. On a recent trip to the Cayman Islands, we met families from both Houston, Dallas, and Los Angeles. The only family that seemed concerned about poor economy was the family from LA.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston144 View Post
Texas has a much stronger economy than California. Also, if you have not been to Texas please do not assume and stereotype. When I think of California, I think of crime infested cities (LA/Oakland), pollution, bankruptcy, large minority population. California is far from paradise. Texas, though flat, is a very clean and beautiful state in its own way. Stop comparing apples to oranges. I live in the northeast and even my friends and brother on a recent trip remarked at how beautiful and clean Texas kept itself as opposed to Massachusetts. People in Texas live great lives. When it comes to cars, shopping, and appearance, Dallas is certainly competitive with Los Angeles so it is not full of hicks and rednecks. Sorry please stop letting preconceived judgments speak for you. Texas doesn't need California and vice versa. On a recent trip to the Cayman Islands, we met families from both Houston, Dallas, and Los Angeles. The only family that seemed concerned about poor economy was the family from LA.
Very thoughtful post, you're obviously someone who has travelled a lot. You're Awesome!

Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
If it ever comes to a point that I move to Texas, it would be because I failed miserably in California. Texas is more like a plan B rather than a plan A.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:03 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
If it ever comes to a point that I move to Texas, it would be because I failed miserably in California. Texas is more like a plan B rather than a plan A.
Dude are you like crazy? Didn't you just read his/her post? Dallas is just like LA with less minorities and less crime, also TX in general is more beautiful than Massachusetts.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Dude are you like crazy? Didn't you just read his/her post? Dallas is just like LA with less minorities and less crime, also TX in general is more beautiful than Massachusetts.
Oh! Well if you put it that way

Old 11-06-2013, 04:42 PM

558 posts, read 715,371 times
Quote:
So.....? We shouldn't do what you just did?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 PM

558 posts, read 715,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Exactly. One could sell their house in California and go buy like 4 houses in Texas and apparently pay less taxes.... So.... Why aren't they? I think that is the question Texans need to ask themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City