Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 PM

80 posts, read 113,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Wilt titled the floor in Philly’s direction. Undeniable. But he’s also been dead for almost 15 years. And as much as I love Mamba, he’s done. And no, players were not better 40 years ago.

Ahh, Rasheed Wallace. Nobody in the known universe was surprised to see Sheed gator arm his FTs in the waning seconds of game 7 of the 2000 WCF. He put up nice numbers. That’s it.

Only because it’s so transparent why you cherry picked the Andersons, I’ll put this back up:

Jameer Nelson, Kyle Lowry, Maalik Wayns
Kobe Bryant (IR), Dion Waiters, Rip Hamilton
Tyreke Evans, Wayne Ellington, John Salmons
Marcus Morris, MGK, Gerald Henderson
Hakeem Warrick, Markief Morris, LaVoy Allen

vs.

Russell Westbrook, Jrue Holiday, Darren Collison
James Harden, Brandon Jennings, Klay Thompson, Arron Afflalo, Nick Young
Paul Pierce, DeMar DeRozan, Tayshaun Prince, Kyle Korver, Dorell Wright
Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Derrick Williams
Kevin Love, Brook Lopez, Tyson Chandler

That's a sweep.

Keep in mind, the only reason I even posted this in the first place was to respond to the asinine claim LA was somehow not a "legitimate" basketball city.
Wilt was one of many. Before him, before Earl Monroe, there was Paul Arizin, there was Tom Gola, there was Hal Lear, Guy Rodgers. Philadelphia's talent goes back all the way to before the NBA even existed, and it stretches into right now.

You put them in your roster. I didn't cherrypick them. You put them as going against legitimate big men from the Philly area.

It's not even remotely a sweep. Also.. Kevin Love is from the Pacific Northwest, not California. He simply went to UCLA.

It's not. Not compared to Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, etc. LA is currently benefiting from a wealth of talent but over its history it has not produced all that much compared to legitimate basketball hotbeds.

Sheed was one of the best big men to come out of the city, and that's no small thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6456yt View Post
Wilt was one of many. Before him, before Earl Monroe, there was Paul Arizin, there was Tom Gola, there was Hal Lear, Guy Rodgers. Philadelphia's talent goes back all the way to before the NBA even existed, and it stretches into right now.

You put them in your roster. I didn't cherrypick them. You put them as going against legitimate big men from the Philly area.

It's not even remotely a sweep. Also.. Kevin Love is from the Pacific Northwest, not California. He simply went to UCLA.

It's not. Not compared to Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, etc. LA is currently benefiting from a wealth of talent but over its history it has not produced all that much compared to legitimate basketball hotbeds.

Sheed was one of the best big men to come out of the city, and that's no small thing.
No, I did not. I identified 6 bigs, and none of them are named Anderson. Maybe try again under yet another screen-name.

And yes, that is a sweep. Even without Kevin Love, despite his being Born in Santa Monica, playing AAU here, and then UCLA.

Rasheed Wallace on the court always inspired confidence. In the Lakers.

There is more talent than ever in the NBA right now. And RIGHT NOW, a strong cased can be made the LA metro can put out the best squad. That's gonna leave a mark.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:45 PM

93,355 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Isn't Brook Lopez from or at least played his HS ball in Fresno? I think he was born in LA, but left in 2nd grade. I think Kevin Love was just born in Santa Monica and moved to the Portland area a year later.

On a side note, Portland is kind of a sleeper area in Basketball with guys like A.C. Green, Terrell Brandon, Danny Ainge, Damon Stoudemire, Love, Terrence Jones, Terrence Ross and a few others.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 PM

80 posts, read 113,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
No, I did not. I identified 6 bigs, and none of them are named Anderson. Maybe try again under yet another screen-name.

And yes, that is a sweep. Even without Kevin Love, despite his being Born in Santa Monica, playing AAU here, and then UCLA.

Rasheed Wallace on the court always inspired confidence. In the Lakers.

There is more talent than ever in the NBA right now. And RIGHT NOW, a strong cased can be made the LA metro can put out the best squad. That's gonna leave a mark.
Fine, then it was the other person's roster.

No, it isn't. And I wasn't born in the Delaware Valley yet I'm from here, therefore Kevin Love isn't from there.

Not really. Rasheed Wallace was a beast coming out of HS. It's ridiculous to try to discount his talent and ability when LA is known for having players who flop because they don't work hard and have attitude problems.

Finally somebody who sees that there is more talent in basketball these days than ever before. However, LA is being blessed by a period where its older ballers are still playing and its mostly in their prime ballers are supplemented by a couple of young kids. If you look at what's coming out of the pipeline from the Philadelphia metro though, we easily compete with you. On top of that, there are a ton of talented players from here who are too short to play or who don't have the grades or the exposure. It's not like the West Coast where there's a huge drop off between the pro players and those who didn't make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Isn't Brook Lopez from or at least played his HS ball in Fresno? I think he was born in LA, but left in 2nd grade. I think Kevin Love was just born in Santa Monica and moved to the Portland area a year later.

On a side note, Portland is kind of a sleeper area in Basketball with guys like A.C. Green, Terrell Brandon, Danny Ainge, Damon Stoudemire, Love, Terrence Jones, Terrence Ross and a few others.
The West Coast in general is more of a developing hotbed than an established one.

For some reason, people in California can't seem to accept this.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:14 PM

93,355 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
As far as the culture, and caring more about basketball, more into the college and professional teams.
I'll say Philly in terms of the teams(especially college) and DC for the talent, in terms of recent years.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Basketball Players Born In Philadelphia (PA), United States - RealGM

Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll say Philly in terms of the teams(especially college) and DC for the talent, in terms of recent years.

Funniest thing of it all is that, those Philly college teams are loaded with DC area high school talent/recruits:

Juniors Josh Hart, Kris Jenkins form special bond at Villanova | CSN Philly

I'll take DC here, and that's without the inclusion of Baltimore area. If their combined then its really a wrap.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
A pretty extra long list of no names. Although I know their studs were listed there too. Many cities have a list this long of former ball players, i'd rather compare how many 1st or 2nd round draft picks, or how many top 25 D-1 recruits etc.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:15 PM

311 posts, read 314,316 times
I think this list pretty clearly shows who the big boys are:
List of cities producing the most NBA players

Old 03-27-2017, 02:20 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
A pretty extra long list of no names. Although I know their studs were listed there too. Many cities have a list this long of former ball players, i'd rather compare how many 1st or 2nd round draft picks, or how many top 25 D-1 recruits etc.
To get to the NBA is a pretty significant accomplishment. Only 3,000 men have done it in the past 50 years. The vast majority were not All-Stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City