Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:36 PM

720 posts, read 919,214 times

Advertisements

Compare the two cities.

Downtown
Nightlife
Future Development
Diversity

(Hartford, CT)
(Providence, RI)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:38 PM

566 posts, read 592,259 times
Providence for sure. Awesome authentic pizza too.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:26 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Downtown: Tie
Hartford has a much more urban looking downtown. There are far too many high rises over 200ft compared to Providence.
Hartford has Bushnell Park, the Old State House, the XL Center, and a large convention center right into downtown while Providence actually has a waterfront compared to Hartford which is very minimal. Interstate 91 destroyed Hartford's waterfront potential. As for Hartford, more and more people are moving into downtown than ever before and there are many revitalization projects going on right now that are quite impressive.

Nightlife: Providence
In Providence, there are more reasons for people to stay after work than Hartford. In Hartford, people leave the city after 5 and head for their homes in the suburbs. People only go into downtown unless there's a concert or sporting event.

Future Development: Hartford
It's pretty close but I'd have to go to Hartford for this one. Hartford has much stronger economy which can attract certain investors and developers.

Diversity: tie
Look at the demographics

Through these 4 categories I'd stay they are a tie but if you put traffic, crime, and things to do then I'd say Providence. Hartford has a much bigger crime and traffic problem than Providence. If Jobs were included then I'd say Hartford.

Overall: Providence by a very very close margin

Old 07-19-2015, 06:51 PM

229 posts, read 520,483 times
Downtown: Providence, by far (IMO). A few more tall building do not make a better downtown experience. Downtown Providence has better architecture, better food, better art scene, and a much larger student population which adds greatly to the vibrancy. Hartford is not even close with the downtown shopping scene. Hartford excels in its more urban landscape, but like Providence, it is still relatively small because of the footprint. Also, I think Providence has better riverfront since it is incorporated into the urban fabric of downtown.

Nightlife: Providence.

Diversity: I would also give it to Providence mainly because of the downtown student population. I do not see many races besides blacks, whites and Hispanics in Hartford. Providence seems to have a much larger Asian population, at least visibly in the city.

Future: Most likely Hartford for jobs and infrastructure.

Overall: Providence by a mile (IMO).

Old 07-19-2015, 07:15 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
I grew up in Providence, RI and have visited Hartford, CT more times than I care to count (lots of family in the area). If I had to choose between these two cities, I'd pick Providence, for sure--and not because I grew up there.

Compared to Hartford, Providence has significantly less crime and traffic. It's also has prettier architecture; better, more diverse cuisine offerings; a stronger, more impressive arts scene; better shopping and much more lively nightlife. In addition to a relatively strong nightlife scene for a small city, Providence has a lot more going on in its downtown area due to more events and festivals compared to Hartford, especially in the summertime. That's why Providence tends to be more popular among millennials.

OTOH, Hartford has better infrastructure and a more impressive skyline than Providence. More importantly, Hartford has a much more robust economy with more high-skilled and professional jobs. However, when comparing the economies of these two cities, it's important to note that Providence is a lot closer and better connected to a "major" city (i.e., Boston). Many folks in Providence commute to high-paying positions in the Boston area via the commuter rail while still enjoying a significantly lower COL. I happen to have several tenants in the Providence area who do just that.

In addition to Boston, Providence is also closer to the Rhode Island shore and Cape Cod and the Islands, which are popular summertime destinations for Connecticut residents. If you're a beach person or more inclined to water-related outdoor recreational activities, Providence is a much more sensible alternative. That, plus the tourist destinations in Rhode Island are nicer and more numerous, IMO.

I don't particularly care for the culture of any East Coast city; however, I will have you know that locals in Providence--and Rhode Islanders in general, for that matter--tend to be friendlier and more approachable and down-to-earth than people in the Hartford area, although they definitely trend on the ornery side, especially the Rhode Island natives. Connecticut, OTOH, has to be home to the rudest, snobbiest, most miserable collective group of people in the entire country. For me personally, that's the deal-breaker.

Providence, FTW.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Providence for sure. Awesome authentic pizza too.
Hartford has a pretty interesting history when it comes to hotdogs and pizza. There was a Mans vs food episode in Hartford that is worth watching? Is there an episode from Providence?

Old 07-20-2015, 12:38 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Hartford has jobs, Providence has nightlife

Old 07-20-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Hartford has jobs, Providence has nightlife
Very true. Id like to point out that Providence is very similar to New Haven because both are home to an Ivy League school and have a good downtown nightlife scene while Hartford is a very 9-5 city. It if wasn't for the Colt industry, insurance industry, the Whalers, Hartford Stage, and the Mark Twain House then it wouldn't be on the map. There aren't too many things that attract people to Hartford except for jobs which is doing quite well at the moment. All the fun is in the suburbs like West Hartford. Sporting events and concerts are all that attract people to Hartford.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Hartford's dead compared to Providence. It used to be better but that was about 35 years ago.

Providence is nothing like New Haven.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Hartford's dead compared to Providence. It used to be better but that was about 35 years ago.

Providence is nothing like New Haven.
Well depends how you look at it. Hartford is only dead to Providence after when people get out of work. Many people actually stay in Providence after work while in Hartford, people hit the highways for their suburban homes. I'd say Downtown Hartford is busier than Downtown Providence during the afternoon. Downtown Hartford is starting to turn around again. More people are moving into downtown than ever before and NY investors are purchasing many properties downtown to revitalize them. Many jobs are coming back into downtown and more things are being built here since the 1980's. Providence is bouncing back as well. As for comparing Providence and New Haven, I think they are pretty similar. Both have a huge college presence. The only thing about New Haven is that it's has a bad reputation when you compare it to Providence because New Haven is a very violent city. If you look past that they both are famous their foods and restaurants. Both downtowns are very walkable, the developments are urban, and theyre both clean and safe when you're in downtown. I'm sure why but New Haven feels more like a larger city yet it has 50,000 less than Providence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City