Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times

Advertisements

Which city has the worse traffic and congestion on roads? I live in Seattle and I find the traffic just terrible here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 AM

390 posts, read 940,853 times
Let's take a step back first. The reason both cities have horrific traffic is because of the massive influx of migrants from all over the country and world. When the cities were founded and planned, the infrastructure simply wasn't designed to accommodate millions of inhabitants...most of whom commute back and forth. With that being said, if you review the latest traffic congestion report by TomTom, you will see that Seattle's traffic is worse than Denver's. Seattle, in fact, has the 5th worst traffic in the nation.

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/conges...ual-NAM-mi.pdf

Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I-25 or I-5?
36 or 520?
Pick your poison.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Seattle traffic s*u*x. From what I've seen, Denver's isn't as bad.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 AM

456 posts, read 774,350 times
Another view on the data:

Alaska island is unlikely choice as best place for West commuters - The Business Journals

Looking through the table the average commute times are pretty close but Denver is shorter by a minute at 26.7.

Ben

Old 10-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Tor_nado thanks for that report from tomtom.com. So it's not just my imagination, Seattle's traffic really is horrific. It really affects your quality of life and enjoyment of living here when everything you want to do good chance you are going to get caught in terrible congestion. You just can't freely get around the city to shop, dine, get to hiking trails, ski, sporting events without such frustrating congestion.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:16 PM

390 posts, read 940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Tor_nado thanks for that report from tomtom.com. So it's not just my imagination, Seattle's traffic really is horrific. It really affects your quality of life and enjoyment of living here when everything you want to do good chance you are going to get caught in terrible congestion. You just can't freely get around the city to shop, dine, get to hiking trails, ski, sporting events without such frustrating congestion.
I live in NYC and I feel the same way whenever I leave my apartment - always crowds of people around you. I feel like a sardine whenever I ride the subways. At one point I was even contemplating a move to a city like Seattle for more space, but it seems like it wouldn't be much of an improvement in that respect.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Seattle. Denver's traffic is pretty bad, but only during rush hour. I hear Seattle has bad traffic all the time.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 PM

Yes Seattle can have pretty bad weekend traffic too. Seattle's traffic is not just freeways either, there are a lot of major streets that get really jammed too. On certain freeways rush hour is really most of the daylight time.

Based on the tomtom report, if you back out Canadian cities and Honolulu (since it's not on the mainland), Seattle has the 3rd worse traffic in the mainland U.S. That makes it worse then so many other big cities such as Boston, NYC, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, San Diego, Phoenix, Chicago, Houston, Austin, Denver, etc...

Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Yes Seattle can have pretty bad weekend traffic too. Seattle's traffic is not just freeways either, there are a lot of major streets that get really jammed too. On certain freeways rush hour is really most of the daylight time.

Based on the tomtom report, if you back out Canadian cities and Honolulu (since it's not on the mainland), Seattle has the 3rd worse traffic in the mainland U.S. That makes it worse then so many other big cities such as Boston, NYC, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, San Diego, Phoenix, Chicago, Houston, Austin, Denver, etc...
That's horrible! If it's in the top 3, that mean's it's similar to LA's traffic?? That's really saying something.

Denver's traffic isn't horrible except for rush hour or when it snows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City