Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is most similar to Atlanta?
Chicago 7 6.80%
Detroit 13 12.62%
Minneapolis 24 23.30%
Cleveland 1 0.97%
Cincinnati 3 2.91%
Saint Louis 18 17.48%
Kansas City 3 2.91%
Milwaukee 1 0.97%
Indianapolis 25 24.27%
Columbus 6 5.83%
Omaha 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:39 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Any idiot who thinks St.Louis is as relevant to America's economy as Atlanta is just fooling only themselves. Minneapolis-SP is a better competitor but it does not have the momentum of Atlanta,Charlotte,Miami,or many other cities in the South.
Minneapolis does the best it can with what it has.That I will give ito MN-SP.

Not to mammy cities with similar attributes could do as well pn an upward steady strjectory as MN-SP.That is true for economy and population growth.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Not threatened at all. I just think you are obnoxious.
Oh and you are not?Go back and blog on your FB and Twitter.I got this down.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I sure hell wouldn't want Minneapolis to be like Atlanta and I don't know anyone who would. As for the characteristics I mentioned, there is a growing black population within the core cities and the metro, MSP International isn't the busiest, but it's definitely one of the best, and the TC area already had streetcars, actually one of the most extensive in the US.
Who here even insinuated that they want Minneapolis, or any other Midwestern city for that matter, to be like Atlanta (or vice versa)? This discussion is nothing more than a comparison of common traits between Atlanta and a couple of other Midwestern cities; nothing more, nothing less.

The characteristics you mentioned are manifested in drastically different ways in both Minneapolis and Atlanta. Minneapolis is far from being the answer here. And I'm not sure where the streetcar thing came from; Atlanta's is under construction but it does have HRT (which Minneapolis doesn't have).

Quote:
Good thing you recognize it.
I've long known what's going on in this region since I actually live here. I didn't need you to tell me any of that, LOL.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
There is no city in the Midwest even remotely on the same level as Atlanta with Chicago as the exception. However, I chose these three to compare to Atlanta in terms of business, culture, and layout.

Business/Economy: Minneapolis. GDP is outstanding for a city this size. Very progressive and business friendly with a diverse economy.

Culture: St. Louis. Prominent black community and diversity. Lots of food options, from 5 star cuisine to soul food spots.

Layout: Not really sure because Atlanta is so sprawling and will continue to sprawl for many years to come. Most midwestern cities are compact and urban in nature due to their development before the automobile age.

Note: If this were 20 years ago, I would have said Detroit on all three easily.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No matter how many times you repeat it, it won't change the fact that you're as wrong as two left shoes. But keep shouting it from the rooftops, LOL.

And I see you left the categories of film and media untouched.
Exactly. Nashville is 1/3 of the size of Atlanta and squashes it in both healthcare and music. Memphis, Detroit, New Orleans, etc. are all significantly smaller yet all have much richer histories when it comes to contributing to the music industry.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Exactly. Nashville is 1/3 of the size of Atlanta and squashes it in both healthcare and music. Memphis, Detroit, New Orleans, etc. are all significantly smaller yet all have much richer histories when it comes to contributing to the music industry.
That was not even the argument where this is coming from.
I don't think anybody was saying Atlanta has more than Nashville.Obviously it does not

However Atlanta was one of the earliest country music cities along side Nashville.Nashville had more of it.
Also we were discussing TODAY.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:25 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
A city's musical legacy has nothing to do with size, so I'm not really sure what the point is there. And I was talking about the music industry in particular.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
I would say Atlantic, Iowa comes pretty close to being most like Atlanta

Atlantic, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,654,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
STLgasm
I wanted add after reading this why you found it necessary to add "get with it dude" when out of ALL of what I said was one very little mistake of not saying the EAST before the St.Louis.You could have simply said it was East not St.Louis.
Yet you turned uncivil that quick and accused me of trying to "misinform and perpetrate stereotypes".Clearly with such a close name like the two of course its a common mistake.I do understand the uproar ,but you certainly went overboard with the such a verbal assault.
Sorry you took it as a verbal assault. I was simply negating two points you were trying to make. You said that "St. Louis had the worst race riots in the country." Not true. Chicago had the worst race riots in the country. Then you said, "because MO had serious tensions" or something along those lines. When in fact, East St. Louis did experience serious race riots, but it is in Illinois. So there goes your credibility. That is all.

And I will say that today Atlanta has surpassed St. Louis and a lot of other cities that used to outrank it, there is no denying that St. Louis has been a profoundly more influential city throughout American history than Atlanta, having ranked as a top 10 city for over 120 years. Atlanta is a relative amateur, and while its growth is impressive, it won't ever have the historic importance that St. Louis enjoyed for most of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:31 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Why all the hate from you Twin Cities folks? This isn't the first thread I've seen this on and I have to say it's very peculiar to me. Hell, if anything y'all should be all about Atlanta since we gave your city it's sole professional sports championship back in '91.

Also, on this sprawl/Minneapolis-St Paul is "more urban" thing, I am also very confused. The core neighborhoods of both cities are dominated by late-19th and early 20th century housing. While both Minneapolis and St. Paul have slightly higher overall densities than the City of Atlanta, that's only due to the size difference in land area. The old core of Atlanta actually has a higher density than either and has seen a huge boom in highrise and high density midrise construction over the last few years. And as has been mentioned countless times, we have a subway in the central city that the either of the Twin Cities could only dream of.

At the metro level, it's an even odder comparison when talking about sprawl. Yeah, Atlanta in the media has called the "Sprawl Capital of the US" (too which the mindless minions just repeat without taking a second to think about what it actually is) and it's MSA is 8,376 sq mi, but Minneapolis-St. Paul is no slouch either. The Twin Cities MSA is 6,364.12 sq miles with almost less than half of Metro Atlanta's population. In other words, the Twin Cities sprawls (in terms of low density development and population) more than Metro Atlanta.

So someone has to clear this up for me because I don't understand what the beef is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City