Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Anyone who follows the news knows that Chicago has had a lot of crime, especially in the last couple of years. It's a city that I would love to visit but the crime is holding me back. Is it really as violent as the media portrays it? How would the crime compare to say, Atlanta?
Yes, Chicago is crime ridden from one end to the other. Believe me, the media hasn't been very forthcoming. It's pertinent that the city attract some tourists. I mean, someone has to be robbed, stabbed, and killed, right?

The Gangster Disciples have taken over O'hare. The Vice Lords are are working on Midway. Correction, the Vice Lords have taken over Midway. Probably best not to fly in at this time. Most flights have been diverted to Columbia and Mexico.

Lake Michigan has been renamed Lake Pitch-um-in. The number of bodies that litter the lake is like a scene out of Game of Thrones, my lord.

The Chicago River will never be dyed green again. Get used to the color red, it's a river of blood. Halloween is coming up. I guess there's a silver lining.
It's anarchy man! The only thing moving on the 'L' is drugs. Prostitutes on the pink line. Your trepidation serves you well my lord. Remain in Atlanta and remain alive, your grace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,833 times
Cities with the most murders in 2012

1. Chicago | 500
2. New York | 419
3. Detroit | 386
4. Philadelphia | 331
5. Los Angeles | 299
6. Baltimore | 219
7. Houston | 217
8. New Orleans | 193
9. Dallas | 154
10. Memphis | 133
11. Oakland | 126
12. Phoenix | 124
13. St. Louis | 113
14. Kansas City | 105
15. Indianapolis | 101

Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Chicago actually has a lower homicide rate than Atlanta.

Chicago, while a lot of work needs to be done, is not even top 10 when it comes to crime in the U.S. It gets a bad rap for several reasons.

1. Out of the 5 largest cities in the U.S. yes it is the most dangerous, but no overall it is not one of the most dangerous.

2. Because of it's size the raw homicide numbers are the highest, but you also have to look at the population of the city. The rate is more important than the actual raw number. I mean if you of population of 25 people and 10 people are murdered compared to a population of 100 people and 20 are murdered, one can easily say that the city with 100 people is more dangerous because it had more murders when in reality the city with 25 people would be more dangerous as you the proportion and rate is actually much higher.

3. Obama is from there with Chicago's mayor formerly being part of his administration. Trust me a lot the hate spewed to Chicago lately is because it's Obama's town and the maybe is his protege. So the media like to bring up Chicago crime a lot.
Let me add that although I stand up for Chicago 2nd only to Minneapolis, it IS actually a very dangerous city in SOME parts, and arguably it has THE most dangerous sections compared to anywhere in this country. The bad parts of Chicago are so so SO super bad (I've spent a bit of time in some of them doing community work and it was dangerous, period -- even helping people was dangerous!), but so much of the city is not like that.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The poster is right to an extent, actually.

It should be pointed out that those cops were only there at certain times, and it was more like every 2 or 3 blocks. They were there after there were some flash mobs. Some of the "mobs" didn't even rob anyone, but instead were just running around and getting into the street and blocking traffic. The cops were essentially there to make the tourists feel better, as a lesser number would have gotten the same job done.

You're also right though, as Michigan Ave is extremely safe. A couple of instances doesn't change the overall average.
If you are afriad of Michigan Avenue (the Miracle Mile, specifically) you shouldn't leave your house! That's my take (and I wasn't addressing you specifically, but the "general you").

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 10-15-2013 at 08:59 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Cities with the most murders in 2012

1. Chicago | 500
2. New York | 419
3. Detroit | 386
4. Philadelphia | 331
5. Los Angeles | 299
6. Baltimore | 219
7. Houston | 217
8. New Orleans | 193
9. Dallas | 154
10. Memphis | 133
11. Oakland | 126
12. Phoenix | 124
13. St. Louis | 113
14. Kansas City | 105
15. Indianapolis | 101
UNREAL how far NYC has come since the 80's and 90's! I almost wonder if they fix the data, considering that the city has over 8 million people (city proper), which is almost the size of the entire Chicago metro area, which has WELL over 500 homicides (I'd guess 750 easily, not including Rockford or even Gary).

Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
In terms of violent crime, Atlanta is worse.
Yeah Atlanta's worse, so OP you should be fine.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Let me add that although I stand up for Chicago 2nd only to Minneapolis, it IS actually a very dangerous city in SOME parts, and arguably it has THE most dangerous sections compared to anywhere in this country. The bad parts of Chicago are so so SO super bad (I've spent a bit of time in some of them doing community work and it was dangerous, period -- even helping people was dangerous!), but so much of the city is not like that.
Right, those super dangerous neighborhoods make up like 10% of the city I eould say is super dangerous.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Right, those super dangerous neighborhoods make up like 10% of the city I eould say is super dangerous.
We are in agreement then.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
I'm sure they're bad, but are they really that exceptional? Are the bad parts of Philly any better? They could be, since Philly has fewer good parts as a % of its city than Chicago. I doubt bad parts of Baltimore are any better, and a number of Midwestern cities (St. Louis, Cleveland, obviously Detroit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Even in the "safe" neighborhoods like Magnificent Mile, cops are stationed at every street corner in an attempt to curb the crime.
I saw more cops around the central areas of Manhattan than in or downtown Chicago. Does that mean Manhattan is more dangerous? Probably not, but number of cops is a poor way to judge. Some cities like to have lots of cops standing around.

Quote:
UNREAL how far NYC has come since the 80's and 90's! I almost wonder if they fix the data, considering that the city has over 8 million people (city proper), which is almost the size of the entire Chicago metro area, which has WELL over 500 homicides (I'd guess 750 easily, not including Rockford or even Gary).
And NYC is running about 26% lower than last year.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:33 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,833 times
In terms of murders Chicago is worst but you will still be ok as long as you arent in the hood.

Chicago is around 230 square miles and Atlanta is around 130 square miles. Chicago had 500 murders and Atlanta had around 90 murders. I judge crimes by this method because if do it by the murder rate of each
City it does not give an accurate picture of crime because of several factors

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 10-16-2013 at 05:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City