Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Four best choices
Jacksonville 1 0.74%
Detroit 20 14.71%
Las Vegas 23 16.91%
Saint Louis 24 17.65%
Austin 30 22.06%
Indianapolis 17 12.50%
San Antonio 28 20.59%
Minneapolis 46 33.82%
Atlanta 55 40.44%
Miami 56 41.18%
Ottawa 11 8.09%
Oklahoma City 6 4.41%
Tampa 11 8.09%
Orlando 24 17.65%
Phoenix 38 27.94%
Sacramento 19 13.97%
Raleigh 15 11.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times

Advertisements

They absolutely could and there was a pretty good flirtation back when they were looking at places like Columbus and Rochester.Soccer is very popular in the area and the Rhinos have done very well. Long presence even for indoor soccer, etc. They do and could draw easily from Buffalo, Syracuse on down to the Southern Tier. I'm from about an hour south of Rochester and many would make the trip up for games plus there is a really active youth scene in that area in places like Wolcott, etc.One of the issues is corporate sponsorship money as well as total capitilazation of an area. There has been a pretty clear shift in the league and what they have targeted for markets. I think it's a shame because I think it could be a very strong, grassroots type of market that would consistently deliver ......... I know there was a lot of heartache when the prior attempts fell through
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:03 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And Phoenix... I just don't know about Phoenix.
Definitely trying, but some real obstacles are present.They have made a big push to get more soccer presence out here. A couple pretty big soccer facilities around the metro as well as hosting some pre-season MLS training.The market took a big step forward this year by introducing the Phoenix Wolves, but they really don't get much coverage out here.It's a large market, soccer is fairly popular but it's not the huge game ..... like other cities the hope would be to gain from the combination of hispanic population and suburban soccer families/transplantsThe Wolves are playing at ASUs stadium which isn't much to write home about. ASU is reworking a lot of their facilities and there could be potential for partnership with them, but it's not their strong point. The NFL stadium has a roof, but would be expensive to run given the crowds. Also not sure if I have to mention that Phoenix is a bit hot during a good portion of the MLS season.I think it could work, but I would be hesitant to rush it. Get the foundation right because it's tough to introduce an imperfect product/situation and then try to fix it later

Old 10-30-2013, 02:06 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Detroit could happen, but has obvious financial issues.

Sacramento is too small and had to fight just to keep the Kings. Honestly, if the NBA didn't care about P.R., the Kings would be packing their bags next season.

And Phoenix... I just don't know about Phoenix.
Good insight but I just see it a bit more differently.

Sacramento is inland California's de facto metropolis. It's influence hand reaches out to 7 million people, all in the Central Valley of California. Believe it or not, the Kings are the go to team for Stockton, Modesto, Merced, not sure about Bakersfield or further south though. Sacramento is also the de facto market of this region and it's metropolitan population is nearly 2.5 million, bridging and spanning two states in the process. California and Nevada. It's influence reaches into Nevada's capital and also to it's second largest city (Reno).

I think it's as good a choice as any. The Kings have history of selling out, year after year with loyal fans.

I'm not saying they should get it before Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, Phoenix, or Minneapolis, all of which are large metropolitans and media markets in comparison. I'm just saying if I had to make a short list for a proven market, Sacramento would be no lower than 6th, 7th, or at worst 8th on the list.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Ugly on the outside, cool inside. Although Atlanta's design looks like something from the next century, plus it is now up to 1.2 billion.
You do realize that the renderings I posted are for two different buildings, right?

The first is the new Vikings stadium and the second is the practice facility (Bielenberg Sports Center).

Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

I think it's as good a choice as any. The Kings have history of selling out, year after year with loyal fans.
Kings attendance has been awful of late and their arena still has many obstacles to go. On top of that, California is the most messed up state in America right now with the highest poverty rate in the country. California is broke. Their model of govt. is broke. California is not getting any more MLS franchises. If Sacramento want a team, buy Chivas and move it. But where do they get a stadium...

Old 10-30-2013, 02:37 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Good insight but I just see it a bit more differently.

Sacramento is inland California's de facto metropolis. It's influence hand reaches out to 7 million people, all in the Central Valley of California. Believe it or not, the Kings are the go to team for Stockton, Modesto, Merced, not sure about Bakersfield or further south though. Sacramento is also the de facto market of this region and it's metropolitan population is nearly 2.5 million, bridging and spanning two states in the process. California and Nevada. It's influence reaches into Nevada's capital and also to it's second largest city (Reno).

I'm not saying they should get it before Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, Phoenix, or Minneapolis, all of which are large metropolitans and media markets in comparison. I'm just saying if I had to make a short list for a proven market, Sacramento would be no lower than 6th, 7th, or at worst 8th on the list.

Sacramento is the 20th largest media market as well. Like you pointed out the Kings fanship reaches all of the Central Valley from Redding to Fresno as well as Northern Nevada. The Kings have two of the largest sellout streaks in NBA history. If it wasn't for poor ownership alienating the fanbase and bad basketball on the court, the Kings would have a decent crowd on a nightly basis. The team now has new owners, and a new $448 million downtown arena is set to open in 2016.

Sacramento's minor league soccer team, the Republic, will begin their inaugural season next year in the USL Pro, with hopes to be promoted to MLS by 2020. Markets in similar size to Sacramento already have MLS franchises including Columbus, Portland, and Kansas City. I have no doubt MLS can work in Sacramento. Coming up with a stadium financing plan is the larger issue. We'll see.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:48 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Sacramento's minor league soccer team, the Republic, will begin their inaugural season next year in the USL Pro, with hopes to be promoted to MLS by 2020.
Well, they'll be waiting for a long time because:

1. The MLS doesn't do promotion (for all those unfamiliar, click the link).

2. I don't think promotion and relegation would work in the United States. Our sports culture is a complete anathema to the very concept. While the sports "fairy tale" obsession in this country might lend itself to promotion, our rabid love of "winners" would not stand for delegation. For instance, could you imagine the fiery riots that would occur if the NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA had relegation to the minor leagues for the Patriots, Yankees, Devils, or Lakers every time those clubs had a crappy few seasons?

The fact is, the minor leagues in this country will forever be seen as the space where you put all the rookies that need development, people who were not good for the majors, who those who fell out of the majors. I don't ever see that changing. I blame baseball.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well, they'll be waiting for a long time because:

1. The MLS doesn't do promotion (for all those unfamiliar, click the link).

2. I don't think promotion and relegation would work in the United States. Our sports culture is a complete anathema to the very concept. While the sports "fairy tale" obsession in this country might lend itself to promotion, our rabid love of "winners" would not stand for delegation. For instance, could you imagine the fiery riots that would occur if the NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA had relegation to the minor leagues for the Patriots, Yankees, Devils, or Lakers every time those clubs had a crappy few seasons?

The fact is, the minor leagues in this country will forever be seen as the space where you put all the rookies that need development, people who were not good for the majors, who those who fell out of the majors. I don't ever see that changing. I blame baseball.
I understand. But Portland, Seattle and Vancouver came to MLS after spending some time in lower division leagues.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
It's just not happening for Sacramento. That's more wishful thinking than being realistic.

- Atlanta
- Miami
- San Antonio
- Minneapolis
- Indianapolis
- Detroit
- St. Louis
- Phoenix
- Ottawa
- Pittsburgh
- Orlando (which, again, is happening already)
- even Austin, which the Longhorns own.

^^^ Reality is, all of those cities are more likely to get a team before Sac-town.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
I understand. But Portland, Seattle and Vancouver came to MLS after spending some time in lower division leagues.
No, not even close. While there were minor league teams with the same name and same ownership, it's not at all the same as promotion. Likewise, having a minor league team means nothing as all of the cities in contention now for an expansion have one. You might have an argument if the players were promoted too, but nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City