Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city overall?
Detroit 11 23.91%
New Orleans 35 76.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times

Advertisements

Easily NOLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 09:36 PM

416 posts, read 701,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Hahha that's the only reason I mentioned the rest of the Midwest, the Key Tower.
They actually mean the Terminal Tower complex which was the tallest building in the world at the time outside of NYC. There are some beauties in Pitt, Cleve, and Cincy's skylines, but more modern architecture takes its place. Key Tower in Cleveland was the tallest building in between Chicago and NYC for almost two decades until Comcast in Philly. Detroit's skyline is almost all pre war it seems which makes it pretty awesome, minus the horrid GM fortress.

I voted for N.O. Detroit's skyline hides a lot of the problems behind it: and the bankruptcy was just the icing on top of it. I think now that that whole thing is over, its better days are ahead of it. Crime is still at Central American rates in both cities.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:40 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
NOLA is in a way better position to recover. Honestly, Detroit is a f*cking massive city. It's not like Detroit has no Downtown, in fact the Downtown is quite lively. It's just that the city is too f*cking spread out for Downtown to have an effect. The immediate neighborhoods around Downtown are being revived, but someone who lives far out in some slum at the edge of the city isn't gonna see that revival anytime soon. The neighborhoods at the edge of Detroit are pretty much FUBAR. Too much space to cover by the public services.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:58 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Did the razing of Tiger Stadium effect Corktown?
The stadium was vacant for 10 years before it was demolished. By the time it demo'd, businesses had already left. So really the effect of razing it was already negligible.

Quote:
And it doesn't look to be that old honestly. I love the rowhouses, and Michigan Central Station (letting this building sit should be a death penalty) but seems like the streets are very wide for the city's oldest neighborhood.
If you mean the main streets, then yea. At first they were your typical 4 lane roads with the two in the center for streetcars. But being the motor city, many of the roads were widened to accommodate car traffic. And this was quite a few decades before freeways were ever built.

Quote:
Places like Sherwood, Palmer Woods, and the U, remind me of Houston and seem remarkably suburban for such an old city. GM and Ford really destroyed the urbanity I see. But I can tell how influential the auto industry was.
What are some of the middle class neighborhoods in Detroit?
There's no clear cut "middle class" neighborhoods given that housing is pretty cheap all over and residents are leaving left and right. Generally these are the decent neighborhoods to live in based on the quality of housing:

Boston Edison.

East English Village.

Bagley.

Rosedale Park.

Russell Woods.

Lafayette Park.

Indian Village.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
This is no contest. New Orleans was a better city than Detroit even one day after Katrina, before the water drained it was still better. Detroit has nothing, it is 1/3 abandoned, its downtown skyscrapers are vacant in many cases. Decay and ruined buildings make the place look like war hasd occurred in some areas of the city. The crime rate is unbelievable, unemployment is equally outrageous. The city government is almost organized crime, and the citizens of the city are ok with that. Metro Detroit is racially divided and filled with anger and hate. Blame for the situation there is commonly debated, however no solutions ever rise out of it. Even the suburbs are declining in some cases, as the core city has become a scary depressing place dragging down the entire area, even the entire state it resides in . Google "ruins of Detroit" and the pics and video speak a thousand words. I used to live in Michigan and seeing the place in that condition really bothers me, but nothing that has been done ever has worked. There really seems to be no solution. The real victims here are the those who live in the rest Michigan, living with the bad rap Detroit brings them and having to pay for the mess in that failed city.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
I've never been to Detroit, but I love NOLA so much. It would take a lot for Detroit to beat New Orleans in my opinion.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The stadium was vacant for 10 years before it was demolished. By the time it demo'd, businesses had already left. So really the effect of razing it was already negligible.
Oh ok. That's too bad.
Quote:
If you mean the main streets, then yea. At first they were your typical 4 lane roads with the two in the center for streetcars. But being the motor city, many of the roads were widened to accommodate car traffic. And this was quite a few decades before freeways were ever built.
Quite sad. The fabric of Detroit has always interested me.
Quote:
There's no clear cut "middle class" neighborhoods given that housing is pretty cheap all over and residents are leaving left and right. Generally these are the decent neighborhoods to live in based on the quality of housing:

Boston Edison.

East English Village.

Bagley.

Rosedale Park.

Russell Woods.

Lafayette Park.

Indian Village.
These neighborhoods all look very nice with the exception of Boston Edison, or maybe it was just a bad street.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:31 AM

32 posts, read 57,058 times
Downtown Detroit is *slowly* coming back. Some of the vacant buildings underwent renovations, and tenants now reside in them, mostly thanks to Dan Gilbert. Anything outside the CBD though, nothing really has changed. They have a plan in place to destroy the thousands of damaged and vacant homes, but It will take Detroit decades to make a comeback...if that's possible.

New Orleans wins here.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
You just can't beat New Orleans for character, charm...and fabulous dining and entertainment options! What a fabulous city.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
New Orleans may be the better city, but it has a higher violent crime/ murder rate than Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City