Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities sound do you prefer?
Memphis 9 8.74%
Washington DC 2 1.94%
Philadelphia 34 33.01%
Detroit 25 24.27%
Chicago 11 10.68%
Atlanta 12 11.65%
Other 10 9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:27 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that New York is never included in these discussions. I'm not saying that it should be. It's just that the city was never really known for having a soul sound.

Off the top of my head, the only two notable singers from NYC are Luther Vandross and Maxwell. I'll have to do more research on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
There's no way I could pick a favorite.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
I think these are the capitals of Soul in the country. Not to be confused with Blues, Jazz, Rock or Funk music. I stuck to places with 5 or more well-known acts. You might see people listed twice, for instance, Marvin Gaye is from DC, but did songs in the Motown sound early on.

Memphis: Stax Records, Otis Redding, Staple Sisters, Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett, Booker T and the MG's, Isaac Hayes, Sam & Dave, The Bar-kays, The Mar-Keys, Rufus Thomas

DC: Marvin Gaye, Roberta Flack, Willie DeVaughn, Toni Braxton, Raheem DeVaughn, Mya, Ginuwine, Tank

Philly: The Dells, The O'Jays, The Delfonics, The Intruders, Patti Labelle, Harold Melvin and the BlueNotes, Billy Paul, Hall and Oates, The Tramps, Teddy Pendergras, The Stylistics, Boyz II Men, Jill Scott, Jazmine Sullivan, Musiq Soulchild

Detroit: Motown Sound: Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Jackson 5, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, Jackie Wilson, Four Tops, Martha Reeves, The Spinners, Edwin Starr, Lamont & Dozier, Aretha Franklin, Ray Parker Jr, Bebe & CeCe Winans, Dwele

Chicago: Chess Records, Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions, Lou Rawls, Fontella Bass, Chaka Khan, Chi-Lites, Otis Clay, Tyrone Davis, Earth Wind and Fire, The Emotions, Sam Cooke, Billy Stewart, Etta James, R.Kelly

Atlanta: Contemporary R&B: Usher, Monica, TLC, Bobby Valentino, Cee-Lo, Andre3000, Ciara, Toni Braxton, The-Dream, Xscape

I'm leaning towards Philly IMO, just with the diversity of talent from every era. Any other city you feel needs to be added?
It's clear that most C-D posters are men because any woman (black woman in particular) would probably jump kick you in the head for your omission of Frankie Beverly. Many people, for whatever reason, tend to forget he's a Philly boy.

What other song can you shut the club down to?

Frankie Beverly And Maze - Before I Let Go - YouTube

Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 AM

Another Philly girl. This might be the all time favorite song of any woman born between 1971 and 1985.

"I've been doing my own thing, love has always had a way of having bad timing."

Groove Theory - TELL ME (Album Version) - YouTube

Old 11-05-2013, 07:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I find it interesting that New York is never included in these discussions. I'm not saying that it should be. It's just that the city was never really known for having a soul sound.
Perhaps it didn't have soul sound. However, I'll list a few NYC bands that can't be denied.

At the end of the day, these competitions are asinine. It's quite obvious that we bring it, regardless of location.

Case in point. How many of you remember the group Pleasure? Who knows where they're from? Try Portland, OR.

Do you remember these?

London, England.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Philly still dropping the hits in 2013.

Bilal - Back To Love - YouTube

Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Perhaps it didn't have soul sound. However, I'll list a few NYC bands that can't be denied.

At the end of the day, these competitions are asinine. It's quite obvious that we bring it, regardless of location.

Case in point. How many of you remember the group Pleasure? Who knows where they're from? Try Portland, OR.
I don't see it as a competition. It's just interesting to talk about the different sounds among cities and also note where musicians are from.

NYC is a city of 8 million people, and it had more black people than the state of California until recently, so it's going to have some bands. It's just a little surprising that the city hasn't really produced a whole lot of soul music. While Luther Vandross and Maxwell are undoubtedly two of the biggest names in the genre, the number of stars produced by the city is underwhelming given its enormous size.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Minneapolis should be listed here: Prince, Mint Condition, Alexander O'Neal etc. And the rest of artists that had that Minneapolis Sound
This is undeniable. The Minneapolis Sound ruled the 80s. Don't forgot The Time. It's kind of sad. However, we can thank Prince for firing Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis for not showing up for a gig. They went on to help Klymaxx, Janet Jackson, Cheryl Lynn, The S.O.S. Band, Cherrelle, Herb Albert, New Edition and others.

Prince helped Sheena Easton, Sheila E, The Family, Mazarati, Da Crash, more than I can recall.

Mint Condition is still going!

Old 11-05-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
This is undeniable. The Minneapolis Sound ruled the 80s. Don't forgot The Time. It's kind of sad. However, we can thank Prince for firing Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis for not showing up for a gig. They went on to help Klymaxx, Janet Jackson, Cheryl Lynn, The S.O.S. Band, Cherrelle, Herb Albert, New Edition and others.

Prince helped Sheena Easton, Sheila E, The Family, Mazarati, Da Crash, more than I can recall.

Mint Condition is still going!
Prince is tough to categorize. He's like a blend of pop, rock and funk with a little R&B thrown in. A bit like Michael Jackson in that sense, but Michael was clearly steeped in the R&B genre with the Jackson 5 (and his later work with Quincy Jones in making "Off the Wall"). Prince's sound is unique and it's not something I'm inclined to group with more traditional soul and R&B acts.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 AM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Off the top of my head, the only two notable singers from NYC are Luther Vandross and Maxwell. I'll have to do more research on this.
Freddie Jackson is also from NYC. Kelly Price grew up in Queens for a portion of her childhood and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting about.

Personally, I like the Philly sound, but this is a very good and tough poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City