Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore, MD or Oakland, CA?
Oakland 51 36.69%
Baltimore 88 63.31%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:31 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times

Advertisements

Inspired by the recent theme of the Bay Area vs. anything imaginable , I thought this would be an interesting discussion. Oakland and Baltimore, two cities that are constantly overshadowed by SF and DC respectively. Both have well-publicized crime problems, yet both are undergoing urban renewals in certain areas and both attract residents who have been priced out of the more expensive neighboring cities. So what do you think?

Me, I have to go with my home town, Baltimore. Oakland's great, but I just think Baltimore has much more to offer, more interesting neighborhoods (Fells Point, Canton, Mount Vernon, Hampden, Federal Hill), and better architecture. Mass transit is better in Oakland though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:47 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times
Baltimore by a landslide!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:51 PM

250 posts, read 246,056 times
what "more" does it have to offer?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:55 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
Oakland by far. No, Baltimore doesn't have more to offer, and it is much farther away from DC than Oakland from SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Inspired by the recent theme of the Bay Area vs. anything imaginable , I thought this would be an interesting discussion. Oakland and Baltimore, two cities that are constantly overshadowed by SF and DC respectively. Both have well-publicized crime problems, yet both are undergoing urban renewals in certain areas and both attract residents who have been priced out of the more expensive neighboring cities. So what do you think?

Me, I have to go with my home town, Baltimore. Oakland's great, but I just think Baltimore has much more to offer, more interesting neighborhoods (Fells Point, Canton, Mount Vernon, Hampden, Federal Hill), and better architecture. Mass transit is better in Oakland though.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Inspired by the recent theme of the Bay Area vs. anything imaginable , I thought this would be an interesting discussion. Oakland and Baltimore, two cities that are constantly overshadowed by SF and DC respectively.
Oakland is only a 3.5 mile bridge away from Downtown San Francisco. Baltimore is about 10 times further away from DC. If anything, we can include all the amenities of SF as part of Oakland's advantage over Baltimore.

Quote:
Me, I have to go with my home town, Baltimore.
We all love our hometowns-they usually have a very special place in our hearts.

Quote:
I just think Baltimore has much more to offer, more interesting neighborhoods
Quote:
(Fells Point, Canton, Mount Vernon, Hampden, Federal Hill), and better architecture.
I'm sure the architecture in some of those areas is quite stunning--Baltimore has age over Oakland and that translates to very nice homes from eras long past. But within many of Oakland's neighborhoods are vibrant commercial districts with quite a bit of activity and a real sense of community.

Also, as I was commenting in the Oakland vs Jersey City thread, I think Oakland is more apt to suit my personal lifestyle.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x268 and weights 200KB.

This is a house---yes, its in Oakland(LOL)

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x681 and weights 336KB.

Quote:
Mass transit is better in Oakland though.
Its better if you are along transit lines, but I couldnt be in Oakland without a vehicle.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
what "more" does it have to offer?
Lexington and Cross Street Markets (think Pike Place market, only smaller and more "East Coast")

Literally bar after bar in the historic Fells Point neighborhood (kind of like Baltimore's version of the French Quarter). Also, there's a lot of bars and restaurants in neighboring Canton and Federal Hill

The Baltimore Museum of Art and the Walters Art Museum (which btw is located in beautiful Mt. Vernon, home to the original Washington Monument, before the one in DC was built)

"The Avenue" shopping district in Hampden - if you've ever seen a John Waters film, you'll know what this neighborhood is like.

The Inner Harbor - yes it's extremely touristy, but it's also home to the world-class National Aquarium in Baltimore, constantly named year after year as one of the best aquariums in the nation.

Ft. McHenry - the site of the Battle of Baltimore in the War of 1812, were Francis Scott Key was inspired to write "The Star Spangled Banner"

Little Italy - some good Italian restaurants still line the streets of this old neighborhood

Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 AM

250 posts, read 246,056 times
i wonder if payton still lives in the oakland hills.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:23 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:

I pick Baltimore; it is a historic city, has a walkable central district and more diverse skyline...reminds me of a larger version of Scranton.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oakland is only a 3.5 mile bridge away from Downtown San Francisco. Baltimore is about 10 times further away from DC. If anything, we can include all the amenities of SF as part of Oakland's advantage over Baltimore.
Yes I know it's not a perfect comparison, but really, what is? As a matter of fact, a large number of people from Baltimore commute into DC for work. Many of the new housing developments in the city were purposely advertised as being "close to I-95" or "close the MARC train" since a very large portion of buyers were DC workers. There has been a lot of talk about Baltimore functionally becoming a DC suburb (much to the chagrin of proud Baltimore natives btw!). Many in the area spend significant time in both DC and Baltimore, much like how many in the Bay Area spend a lot of time in SF and Oakland. However, in both cases, a single city seems to attract the most attention, while the other is overshadowed. I just thought that Oakland's relationship to SF was similar to Baltimore's relationship to DC.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
Well, the fact that people in Baltimore are so willing to travel such a long distance to DC only shows Baltimore really doesn't have much to offer. It doesn't change the distance. It is still a much longer commute compared to Oakland and SF.

Quote:
Yes I know it's not a perfect comparison, but really, what is? As a matter of fact, a large number of people from Baltimore commute into DC for work. Many of the new housing developments in the city were purposely advertised as being "close to I-95" or "close the MARC train" since a very large portion of buyers were DC workers. There has been a lot of talk about Baltimore functionally becoming a DC suburb (much to the chagrin of proud Baltimore natives btw!). Many in the area spend significant time in both DC and Baltimore, much like how many in the Bay Area spend a lot of time in SF and Oakland. However, in both cases, a single city seems to attract the most attention, while the other is overshadowed. I just thought that Oakland's relationship to SF was similar to Baltimore's relationship to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City