Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities sound do you prefer?
Memphis 9 8.74%
Washington DC 2 1.94%
Philadelphia 34 33.01%
Detroit 25 24.27%
Chicago 11 10.68%
Atlanta 12 11.65%
Other 10 9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM

349 posts, read 573,616 times

Advertisements

I think these are the capitals of Soul in the country. Not to be confused with Blues, Jazz, Rock or Funk music. I stuck to places with 5 or more well-known acts. You might see people listed twice, for instance, Marvin Gaye is from DC, but did songs in the Motown sound early on.

Memphis: Stax Records, Otis Redding, Staple Sisters, Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett, Booker T and the MG's, Isaac Hayes, Sam & Dave, The Bar-kays, The Mar-Keys, Rufus Thomas

DC: Marvin Gaye, Roberta Flack, Willie DeVaughn, Toni Braxton, Raheem DeVaughn, Mya, Ginuwine, Tank

Philly: The Dells, The O'Jays, The Delfonics, The Intruders, Patti Labelle, Harold Melvin and the BlueNotes, Billy Paul, Hall and Oates, The Tramps, Teddy Pendergras, The Stylistics, Boyz II Men, Jill Scott, Jazmine Sullivan, Musiq Soulchild

Detroit: Motown Sound: Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Jackson 5, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, Jackie Wilson, Four Tops, Martha Reeves, The Spinners, Edwin Starr, Lamont & Dozier, Aretha Franklin, Ray Parker Jr, Bebe & CeCe Winans, Dwele

Chicago: Chess Records, Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions, Lou Rawls, Fontella Bass, Chaka Khan, Chi-Lites, Otis Clay, Tyrone Davis, Earth Wind and Fire, The Emotions, Sam Cooke, Billy Stewart, Etta James, R.Kelly

Atlanta: Contemporary R&B: Usher, Monica, TLC, Bobby Valentino, Cee-Lo, Andre3000, Ciara, Toni Braxton, The-Dream, Xscape

I'm leaning towards Philly IMO, just with the diversity of talent from every era. Any other city you feel needs to be added?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 01:53 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Toni Braxton is from the Baltimore area. The Glen Burnie area to be exact.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,565 times
Great idea for a poll. I'm a big fan of the 60s-70s era of soul music, and it's hard to top those great Motown artists. But I have a soft spot for the Philly Sound, so it gets my vote

Old 11-04-2013, 03:17 PM

320 posts, read 578,665 times
No James Brown, Al Green, Tina Turner, or Gladys Knight and the Pips?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:19 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
I think it's between Detroit and Philly but what hurts Detroit is the lack of numerous or even a big R&B star the last 10 or 15 years or so. I may be wrong on that because I don't know where everybody is from. Philly has made noise from the 70s-00s. But you can't deny Detroit was a beast in the 60s and 70s. The Midwest (particularly Chicago, Detroit, and Ohio) was probably the best region for R&B in the 60s and 70s.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
No James Brown, Al Green, Tina Turner, or Gladys Knight and the Pips?
Those are Soul's giants, but you can't really associate them with a city that's a soul capital, with the exception of Gladys, who is part of Detroit's scene and from Atlanta.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
Those are Soul's giants, but you can't really associate them with a city that's a soul capital, with the exception of Gladys, who is part of Detroit's scene and from Atlanta.
Al Green was signed to a Memphis label and recorded a lot of his classic albums in Memphis in addition to later becoming an ordained minister at a Memphis church.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,645 times
I think it depends on the era. For 50's it's probably Memphis. 60's Motown Detroit ruled. 70's was Philly all the way with The Sound of Philadelphia.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Al Green was signed to a Memphis label and recorded a lot of his classic albums in Memphis in addition to later becoming an ordained minister at a Memphis church.
Word? Well ill add him to Mtown when i get in

Old 11-04-2013, 04:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Memphis is probably my favorite of the cities listed, but Memphis, especially Stax/Volt always had a rawer and blusier--and more hard R&B driven sound, especially due to backing bands like Booker T and the MGs and Barkays and producers like Issac Hayes. A lot of the sixties Memphis sound almost crossed over to some early funk easier than the more highly produced Motown and then Philly soul scenes. Just like how New Orleans kind of was more a city of earlier hard piano driven R&B and later funk with the Meters, rather than a classic soul city(though Irma Thomas was influential), but the style influenced Memphis and had similarities.

Don't get me wrong, I love Motown and the smooth Philly sound as well, but it's just a different breed than a lot of Memphis soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City