Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 12:21 PM

1,804 posts, read 1,955,655 times

Advertisements

^

No DC in the Top 25? It's certainly above a lot of those midwestern cities not named Chicago. The U St/Florida Ave. corridor has really boomed over the past decade, while more traditional spots like Dupont, Adams Morgan, and parts of Georgetown still provide lots of after hours options. Buzzards Point/The Navy Yard area have really thrived thanks to the MLB park, and this could even spill over into Anacostia. A lot of its bigger suburbs like Takoma Park, College Park, Silver Spring, the National Harbor area, and Bethesda have decent nightlife for suburban areas as well. Don't forget Wolf Trap, Jiffy Lube Live, and Meriwether Post Pavilion in its more outer suburbs as well. Orlando should be sneaking in as well due to its tourism, even if on the PG side. Perhaps Tampa and Honolulu as well. Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Portland probably are below the Top 25 (in the same 26-40 tier with Baltimore, Raleigh, San Antonio, Phoenix, Denver, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Providence, Milwaukee, and Richmond).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 04:42 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,621,258 times
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-fun-c...n-the-us/23455

Just something to add. Feel free to poke at the methodology.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:21 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Las Vegas, New York, San Francisco, Washington DC, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Boston, Seattle

Old 04-10-2022, 09:09 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,554 times
If we are counting all of North America:

Tier 1:
a. NYC
b. Mexico City

Tier 2:
Ranking in this tier would be subjective, but NOLA, Miami, Chicago. Montreal and Las Vegas are a step above what follows below.

Tier 3:
Los Angeles would be top of this tier, despite the early last call and sprawl, then Toronto, Philadelphia, D.C., Acapulco

Tier 4:
Here it gets muddy, but rounding out a top 20 would be Atlanta, Austin, Nashville, both Boston and San Francisco go to bed early, but are pretty great in the evenings, Guadalajara, Seattle and Dallas.

Smaller cities with good nightlife that surpassed me that could push their way into the top 20: Louisville, Memphis, Key West

YMMV.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:24 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Miami and Vegas are definitely tier 1; likely NOLA and, if North America, Havana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
If we are counting all of North America:

Tier 1:
a. NYC
b. Mexico City

Tier 2:
Ranking in this tier would be subjective, but NOLA, Miami, Chicago. Montreal and Las Vegas are a step above what follows below.

Tier 3:
Los Angeles would be top of this tier, despite the early last call and sprawl, then Toronto, Philadelphia, D.C., Acapulco

Tier 4:
Here it gets muddy, but rounding out a top 20 would be Atlanta, Austin, Nashville, both Boston and San Francisco go to bed early, but are pretty great in the evenings, Guadalajara, Seattle and Dallas.

Smaller cities with good nightlife that surpassed me that could push their way into the top 20: Louisville, Memphis, Key West

YMMV.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:06 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times
I think we should all wait a while to re-rank top 10s since every city was hit differently with covid restrictions. It would lead to a lot of imbalance for cities/won't be fair.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:58 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I think we should all wait a while to re-rank top 10s since every city was hit differently with covid restrictions. It would lead to a lot of imbalance for cities/won't be fair.
The top 10 doesn't change much anyway. The top 5 or so will be the top 5 for quite a while. After those, it's muddy and bias plays a bigger role whether or not you love Portlands strip clubs or Houston’s ethnic diversity in clubs and bars.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:06 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
In terms of overall nightlife, NYC, NOLA, Vegas, and Miami are the unquestionable top 4 IMO. I would put Chicago in the 5th spot. LA probably would be but everything closes at 2 am in California so it would be 6th to me. Everything in me wants to put Atlanta at number 7, but the exceptional nightlife spots there cater so heavily towards the black community. Same with Austin but for the white community. Either way, I still would put Atlanta at 7, Philadelphia at 8, and San Francisco at 9. Id probably put Boston or Austin to round off the top 10.

As for my beloved Houston, it definitely isnt top 10. Houston excels in diversity in nightlife and black nightlife, but I dont find its really a specialty here. Dallas is an exceptional gay nightlife city, but nothing else really stands out there. I think Detroit is an up and comer for nightlife because its downtown is becoming amazing. Its the city to watch IMO.

Old 04-11-2022, 01:48 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
In terms of overall nightlife, NYC, NOLA, Vegas, and Miami are the unquestionable top 4 IMO. I would put Chicago in the 5th spot. LA probably would be but everything closes at 2 am in California so it would be 6th to me. Everything in me wants to put Atlanta at number 7, but the exceptional nightlife spots there cater so heavily towards the black community. Same with Austin but for the white community. Either way, I still would put Atlanta at 7, Philadelphia at 8, and San Francisco at 9. Id probably put Boston or Austin to round off the top 10.

As for my beloved Houston, it definitely isnt top 10. Houston excels in diversity in nightlife and black nightlife, but I dont find its really a specialty here. Dallas is an exceptional gay nightlife city, but nothing else really stands out there. I think Detroit is an up and comer for nightlife because its downtown is becoming amazing. Its the city to watch IMO.
This is a puzzling thread because it's impossible to rank nightlife without dividing it along racial lines. This really should be rank the top 25 cities for White nightlife, Black nightlife, Latino nightlife, etc. Most races stick to their own when it comes to nightlife which is mainly along cultural lines versus racial lines. Factors that play a role too

-Type of music (so many forms of music that people enjoy)
-Type of establishment (mega clubs, night clubs, bars)
-Social classes (upper class, lower income, not aligned with income but preference like "dive bars")
-Demographics (Cities without a high population of Black, Latino, or Asian people will struggle in nightlife for those cultures)

Personally, I'm Black and I don't know anyone that would put Chicago, Las Vegas, NOLA, or LA above DC or Atlanta for Black nightlife. They just don't have the population to match DC and Atlanta for upscale nightlife.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:08 PM

365 posts, read 230,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Boston? Great city but nightlife is not a strong point. I'd put Nashville, Seattle, Denver, DC and Portland (OR) above Boston for nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City