Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 10:24 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,622,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
In terms of overall nightlife, NYC, NOLA, Vegas, and Miami are the unquestionable top 4 IMO. I would put Chicago in the 5th spot. LA probably would be but everything closes at 2 am in California so it would be 6th to me. Everything in me wants to put Atlanta at number 7, but the exceptional nightlife spots there cater so heavily towards the black community. Same with Austin but for the white community. Either way, I still would put Atlanta at 7, Philadelphia at 8, and San Francisco at 9. Id probably put Boston or Austin to round off the top 10.

As for my beloved Houston, it definitely isnt top 10. Houston excels in diversity in nightlife and black nightlife, but I dont find its really a specialty here. Dallas is an exceptional gay nightlife city, but nothing else really stands out there. I think Detroit is an up and comer for nightlife because its downtown is becoming amazing. Its the city to watch IMO.
Atlanta has more predominantly gay white clubs than black ones. Also, the nightlife is honestly split down the middle. Atlanta just happen to be the "spot" for Black Americans, so many people equate that to a lack of any other type of nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 01:19 AM

3,542 posts, read 2,332,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is a puzzling thread because it's impossible to rank nightlife without dividing it along racial lines. This really should be rank the top 25 cities for White nightlife, Black nightlife, Latino nightlife, etc. Most races stick to their own when it comes to nightlife which is mainly along cultural lines versus racial lines. Factors that play a role too

-Type of music (so many forms of music that people enjoy)
-Type of establishment (mega clubs, night clubs, bars)
-Social classes (upper class, lower income, not aligned with income but preference like "dive bars")
-Demographics (Cities without a high population of Black, Latino, or Asian people will struggle in nightlife for those cultures)

Personally, I'm Black and I don't know anyone that would put Chicago, Las Vegas, NOLA, or LA above DC or Atlanta for Black nightlife. They just don't have the population to match DC and Atlanta for upscale nightlife.
I love DC, it's definitely a top 10 city and I've partied in almost every nook n' crany of it during my college years in the mid 2010's, but over Chicago? Chicago beats it on virtually every level, including black nightlife.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:45 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I love DC, it's definitely a top 10 city and I've partied in almost every nook n' crany of it during my college years in the mid 2010's, but over Chicago? Chicago beats it on virtually every level, including black nightlife.
The answer to this will always be subjective so you’re not wrong because that is your experience. The general consensus has always been that Chicago’s Black population tends to be a little ghetto compared to NYC, DC, and Atlanta. That’s not to say there aren’t upscale professional Black crowds in Chicago, but the average experience in Chicago compared to the known big 3 of NYC, DC, and ATL for Black professional crowds is just not there. That’s usually pretty much the consensus in the Black community from my experience.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:28 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Atlanta has more predominantly gay white clubs than black ones. Also, the nightlife is honestly split down the middle. Atlanta just happen to be the "spot" for Black Americans, so many people equate that to a lack of any other type of nightlife.
I was referring to where Atlanta truly stands out. Atlanta has some great gay clubs, but what makes Atlanta's nightlife noteworthy are its establishments that cater to black Americans (gay or straight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is a puzzling thread because it's impossible to rank nightlife without dividing it along racial lines. This really should be rank the top 25 cities for White nightlife, Black nightlife, Latino nightlife, etc. Most races stick to their own when it comes to nightlife which is mainly along cultural lines versus racial lines. Factors that play a role too

-Type of music (so many forms of music that people enjoy)
-Type of establishment (mega clubs, night clubs, bars)
-Social classes (upper class, lower income, not aligned with income but preference like "dive bars")
-Demographics (Cities without a high population of Black, Latino, or Asian people will struggle in nightlife for those cultures)

Personally, I'm Black and I don't know anyone that would put Chicago, Las Vegas, NOLA, or LA above DC or Atlanta for Black nightlife. They just don't have the population to match DC and Atlanta for upscale nightlife.
Race is certainly an aspect. People are simply drawn to different places depending on race, ethnicity, age, sex, income, LGBTQ, etc. so I definitely agree there. Outside NYC, Detroit, and LA (as well as a couple of places in the DC area and Houston), no one really caters to mine so I have to go outside it. Im ok with that though. I dont like partying with just one group of people and that is probably why I love Houston so much. But I also know that Houston isnt going to make any top 10 nightlife list unless said list is "best nightlife spots for black people", "best nightlife spots for Latinos", or "most diverse nightlife crowds".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Boston? Great city but nightlife is not a strong point. I'd put Nashville, Seattle, Denver, DC and Portland (OR) above Boston for nightlife.
I did forget about Nashville.

At the end, this is all subjective. If I could choose one city to party in, it would be....Cincinnati or Louisville. Those cities are much more to my taste because of the more laid back nature and the excellent bourbon selection everywhere you go. OTR is one of my favorite places to experience nightlife in the US. Id rather be there than Vegas or Miami, but Im also well aware that it is far from the common consensus and that Vegas and Miami are so far above them in nightlife overall.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:36 AM

3,163 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Atlanta
DC
Vegas
Miami
Houston
NYC

are the only six US cities that have ever stood out for nightlife for me personally. Chicago and LA are OK. All the rest are meh.

Old 04-12-2022, 03:23 PM

34 posts, read 22,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Atlanta
DC
Vegas
Miami
Houston
NYC

are the only six US cities that have ever stood out for nightlife for me personally. Chicago and LA are OK. All the rest are meh.

In what world does Atlanta or Houston have better nightlife than CHICAGO? Let alone LA lmao.

Old 04-12-2022, 03:55 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianMabowski View Post
In what world does Atlanta or Houston have better nightlife than CHICAGO? Let alone LA lmao.
While I don’t personally agree, I have some news for you:

Nightlife is enjoyed by experience, not by a bunch of city nerds that make a study districts. Lots of people don’t enjoy LA’s nightlife for their own reasons.

Old 04-12-2022, 04:16 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
As I mentioned earlier my favorite city for nightlife is Cincinnati and its hardly a top 10 city. But that is my preference and thats what we have to realize here: "best nightlife" is a subjective thing.

I get that NYC, Vegas, NOLA, and Miami are the undisputed top four simply because the later three have an entire culture centered on partying while NYC is number 1 at almost everything. But beyond that its all subjective.

Old 04-12-2022, 04:27 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
LA isn't really a nightlife city in the sense people go out to traditional clubs in urban areas. It's definitely there (Hollywood, Koreatown, Downtown) but what dominates LA's nightlife scene is the house parties, warehouse parties, and low-key speak easies you have to get to through a Koreatown alleyway or something. Plus more than almost any other city, LA gets tourists who want to show off which cuts into the vibe. Because house parties and underground get togethers are so popular in LA, it is really who you know, so that's why many people don't rank it so high.

Old 04-16-2022, 02:14 AM

48 posts, read 24,201 times
no order
ny
la
chicago
houston
atl
san fran
nola
miami
dallas
baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City