Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most like New York City?
Dallas 3 3.06%
Houston 8 8.16%
Phoenix 1 1.02%
Austin 0 0%
Atlanta 25 25.51%
Orlando 4 4.08%
Denver 1 1.02%
San Antonio 0 0%
Charlotte 1 1.02%
Seattle 55 56.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Ok, can you tell us which city on this list shares these attributes with NYC? Because I can't think of any.

Which city has a similarly large skyline, or similar density, or similar size?
There you go again, confusing the difference between "most similar" and "similar". I can't make it any more simple for you than I already have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:22 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to the 'States View Post
Are you suggesting they shouldn't?

NYC is not your ordinary city. It takes a behemoth to be in the same sentence as NYC. None of the cities on this survey deserve that privilege.
Yep. It's a city being discussed online by random strangers, don't see why people take it so seriously but to each their own I suppose. Some act like it's their mom or child being discussed lol.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,103,309 times
How about 'none of the above'. NYC is on a level that very few cities in the world can measure up to. Perhaps you should offer Tokyo, London and Paris as cities to compare to NYC in this poll.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM

66 posts, read 91,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yep. It's a city being discussed online by random strangers, don't see why people take it so seriously but to each their own I suppose. Some act like it's their mom or child being discussed lol.
Being competition for NYC is flattery for the city compared. None of these cities deserve to be acknowledged compared to NYC.

The manager at IHOP works more hours than Paul Allen. Does not mean he deserves to be mentioned with Allen.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:33 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Being competition for NYC is flattery for the city compared. None of these cities deserve to be acknowledged compared to NYC.

The manager at IHOP works more hours than Paul Allen. Does not mean he deserves to be mentioned with Allen.
"Why so serious?" Lol

Old 01-02-2014, 01:33 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
So if I do decide to compare these cities to New York or mention them in the same sentence...what are you going to do about it?

You can't stop people from putting any city up against NY, so it's petty and pointless to even make a big deal about it.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:34 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,103,309 times
Quote:
Exactly. This thread is the equivalent of asking "which QB is most like Aaron Rodgers" and listing a bunch of third sting scrubs as your choice of answers.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM

66 posts, read 91,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Exactly. This thread is the equivalent of asking "which QB is most like Aaron Rodgers" and listing a bunch of third sting scrubs as your choice of answers.
Yes, I will report the thread for misdirection.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
BS. Some of these cities are incredibly diverse, others are quite large, others have similar weather, some have large skylines, some share the density, some of these cities are major ports, etc...There's a number of qualities that one can evaluate on a point system of sorts to decide which city they feel is the most like New York OF THIS LIST. Again, "most similar" is not the same as "similar".
None of these cities share similar weather. None share the density. Houston probably has the largest skyline of these, but I can't think of anything else NYC-like about it.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:41 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,423,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
There you go again, confusing the difference between "most similar" and "similar". I can't make it any more simple for you than I already have.
None are most similar. You picked a bunch of cities that are similar to one another, and then are asking us which is the most similar to a city totally dissimilar.

"Which of the following cats is most similar to this dog". That's why it's a silly question.

If I have to pick, though, I guess Seattle, even if Seattle is completely different from NYC. The only reason I go with Seattle is because it has a few pedestrian-oriented urban type areas, and if you squinted on a few blocks, you might mistake a block for San Francisco, and if you squinted on a few blocks in San Francisco you might mistake a block for a Mediterranean version of Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City