Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most like New York City?
Dallas 3 3.06%
Houston 8 8.16%
Phoenix 1 1.02%
Austin 0 0%
Atlanta 25 25.51%
Orlando 4 4.08%
Denver 1 1.02%
San Antonio 0 0%
Charlotte 1 1.02%
Seattle 55 56.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I've had a good bagel in Atlanta surprisingly at Goldberg's, not as good as New York bagels, but good... Plus they have matzo ball, split pea, knish, good lox, pastrami, etc.

Are Atlanta and Miami metros the two biggest metros with NY transplants? LA probably has a lot also, maybe not as much though.
Is split pea soup a Jewish thing? I know my mom thinks she's Jewish, but I though she stopped at matzo ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 PM

804 posts, read 618,751 times
Quote:
Yeah, good you say South Florida... b/c it's not just Miami... it's the whole metro. Back to the Jewish thing, I know there is a heavy presence in Boca.

Oy vey. There is heavy Jewish presence all over south Florida.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Is split pea soup a Jewish thing? I know my mom thinks she's Jewish, but I though she stopped at matzo ball.
They prepare it a certain way and parve w/o the ham or any dairy added, often see it at stores premade so that way it can be eaten with either. I know other cultures/regions eat it too but I'm pretty sure the recipes vary a bit.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Atlanta dominates the Southeast, not the South.

Its no where near the population of Dallas or the economical powerhouse of Houston.
Atlanta is not that much smaller than Dallas, and I think you're underplaying its economical presence as well.

5.47 million in Atlanta metro to 6.7 million in Dallas metro.

In total GDP Dallas is 6th and Atlanta is 10th in the nation. While Dallas has an obvious lead, it's clear that after Houston and Dallas that Atlanta is a clear number 3. Let's also not forget that Atlanta is the largest air travel hub in the entire world, sees a lot more traffic than any of the Texas metros.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Atlanta is not that much smaller than Dallas, and I think you're underplaying its economical presence as well.

5.47 million in Atlanta metro to 6.7 million in Dallas metro.

In total GDP Dallas is 6th and Atlanta is 10th in the nation. While Dallas has an obvious lead, it's clear that after Houston and Dallas that Atlanta is a clear number 3. Let's also not forget that Atlanta is the largest air travel hub in the entire world, sees a lot more traffic than any of the Texas metros.
As Tina Turner once wrote in a song...

You must understand
That the posts by your hand
Makes my pulse react.
I get so mad
about these kind of posts
now it's time to act.

What's air traffic got to do, got to do with it?
What's air traffic, but some people passing through...

Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 AM

692 posts, read 957,511 times
None of these are honestly even remotely like New York. But if I were to pick, I'd pick seattle.

-New Yorker

Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
Quote:
They prepare it a certain way and parve w/o the ham or any dairy added, often see it at stores premade so that way it can be eaten with either. I know other cultures/regions eat it too but I'm pretty sure the recipes vary a bit.
Oh, right, my mom's had both ham and dairy, which would be kind of un-kosher.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
I'd say Atlanta, but idk why.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM

66 posts, read 91,302 times
The correct answer is LA. Tell me where it says 2 cities have to look alike to be most alike.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:48 PM

100 posts, read 163,619 times
Quote:
Which of these cities is most like San Antonio?

Paris
NYC
Hong Kong
Seoul
London
Tokyo
Shanghai
Sao Paolo
Moscow
Osaka.
Quote:

It's like you are in a dairy section and trying to compare cheddar cheese to other cheese in a cheese section, there are probably 10 good options that fit, but instead you ask, which one of these yogurts is most similar to it? If that question seems dumb to you, well...there you have it, the original question is just as dumb.
Seattle has the thickest yogurt I guess.
I quite like this game...MY TURN! Which year Toyota Camry is most similar to the 2014 Ford Expedition?

I've visited NYC and lived in Seattle...and if Seattle's your top choice to choose from in a list of cities that are most similar to NYC then it's not a very good list...The two cities feel absolutely nothing a like...The demographics are completely different, the women are completely different, the food is completely different...If anything driving into Seattle over the bridge reminded me of a smaller version of San Francisco, but nothing like NYC...nothing like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City