Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
LA & SF 54 33.33%
NYC 108 66.67%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:47 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,494 times

Advertisements

Oh my god, New York of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, that makes a lot more sense. You can go to Balboa Park and see a good bit of San Diego. I wouldn't suggest it over NYC with a possible side trip to Philadelphia, but it seems like a reasonably fun trip.

What I feel about this whole topic is that if someone is already fixated on California or specific parts of the Bay Area or Los Angeles or if they are doing this over winter and hate cold weather (and a possible coincidence with the holiday season for NYC does not do it for them), have a huge Disney interest (which does exist) or have a lot more family and friends in California who can show them around then go with SF and LA. Otherwise NYC will be the better vacation. This may change drastically as LA changes at a fast rate.

I agree on the reasoning, choosing NY or LA/SF, but in no way is NY a "better" vacation. Just different.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I agree on the reasoning, choosing NY or LA/SF, but in no way is NY a "better" vacation. Just different.
In this hypothetical, I would say NYC is probably the better one for most people.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In this hypothetical, I would say NYC is probably the better one for most people.

Well, totally subjective. Depends on the individual. Totally different trips, people will choose based on different criteria. For instance, if someone from Britain wants to go to Miami, NY wont suffice.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:39 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,398 times
I personally feel this question is lame. Both coasts couldn't be more different and so there's really no yardstick to draw any meaningful comparisons. A tourist should go to both if finances allow, and if forced to choose just one, he should make two separate trips.

All of you have wasted your time arguing.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I personally feel this question is lame. Both coasts couldn't be more different and so there's really no yardstick to draw any meaningful comparisons. A tourist should go to both if finances allow, and if forced to choose just one, he should make two separate trips.

All of you have wasted your time arguing.
I agree, thats basically what I was saying (in my last post at least )

Old 12-11-2013, 12:50 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
The most underrated aspect to New York on this forum is by and large it's collection of subcultures and it's diversity in nationalities.

New York may be the only city in the world with some size of a population for every country in the world and is linguistically the world's premier city for languages. It has representation from some places that aren't even a country yet like Palestine and such. It has people from detached places like Sierra Leon and the like.

Somewhere in New York in some building with a unit being rented out a couple of times a month for meetings between people who have interest in certain subcultures. Whether you have an obsessive thing for Shadow Poetry or Emily Dickenson or Mark Twain or Maya Angelou or the like, there's somewhere in the city where you can find like-minded people who have the same interests as you, an entire subculture of people, who meet for activities or discussions or get togethers on their particular interests.

New York has a large arcade culture, large comic book culture, large super-hero/vigilante culture, a Pythagoreus the mathematician culture, a large zombie crawlers culture, a large Harley Davidson bike lovers culture, a large Bhangra culture, a large Greek Mythology culture, such. Culturally something for just about everyone exists in that city. A particular meeting place for people who are artists and ONLY do oil paintings in dark shaded colors, a meet up of people who are Twinkie lovers, a dedicated cult-like following for those who are obsessed with the Giants and hate the Jets, random and bizzarre things, but they still exist and thrive in New York.

Here's an example of one of the more popular subcultures in New York, that's spread out of North America to the rest of the world, as an example of one-among-millions of subcultures found within the city: Zombie walk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for scenery, I don't think Greater New York lacks anything other than a desert but it takes a backseat to Los Angeles and the Bay Area because it's mountains in the Hudson River Valley aren't integrated to the Atlantic Coastline. They cant be found in the same place as readily available but from hikers to even surfers (albeit much weaker surfing in New York of course than CA) can be found in Greater New York.

Hell, there was a meet up in New York just two weeks ago for those who are fans of things like the Mentalist about the big revelation, people meeting up and meeting others with similar interests and discussing their own theories. Culturally it's hard to out-offer New York.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 12-11-2013 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM

I dont think you can out offer New York City in N America, so if your lucky enough that one of those odd things, is your thing then great. Increasingly fringe offerings like that or groups gather via internet too. In general you are right, but I dont think you intended it, your wiki link didnt mention NYC.....

Old 12-11-2013, 02:29 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The most underrated aspect to New York on this forum is by and large it's collection of subcultures and it's diversity in nationalities.

New York may be the only city in the world with some size of a population for every country in the world and is linguistically the world's premier city for languages. It has representation from some places that aren't even a country yet like Palestine and such. It has people from detached places like Sierra Leon and the like.

Somewhere in New York in some building with a unit being rented out a couple of times a month for meetings between people who have interest in certain subcultures. Whether you have an obsessive thing for Shadow Poetry or Emily Dickenson or Mark Twain or Maya Angelou or the like, there's somewhere in the city where you can find like-minded people who have the same interests as you, an entire subculture of people, who meet for activities or discussions or get togethers on their particular interests.

New York has a large arcade culture, large comic book culture, large super-hero/vigilante culture, a Pythagoreus the mathematician culture, a large zombie crawlers culture, a large Harley Davidson bike lovers culture, a large Bhangra culture, a large Greek Mythology culture, such. Culturally something for just about everyone exists in that city. A particular meeting place for people who are artists and ONLY do oil paintings in dark shaded colors, a meet up of people who are Twinkie lovers, a dedicated cult-like following for those who are obsessed with the Giants and hate the Jets, random and bizzarre things, but they still exist and thrive in New York.

Here's an example of one of the more popular subcultures in New York, that's spread out of North America to the rest of the world, as an example of one-among-millions of subcultures found within the city: Zombie walk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for scenery, I don't think Greater New York lacks anything other than a desert but it takes a backseat to Los Angeles and the Bay Area because it's mountains in the Hudson River Valley aren't integrated to the Atlantic Coastline. They cant be found in the same place as readily available but from hikers to even surfers (albeit much weaker surfing in New York of course than CA) can be found in Greater New York.

Hell, there was a meet up in New York just two weeks ago for those who are fans of things like the Mentalist about the big revelation, people meeting up and meeting others with similar interests and discussing their own theories. Culturally it's hard to out-offer New York.
Everything you said is definitely NOT underrated about New York. I agree with you on everything: For the greatest cultural experience, New York is 100% a no brainer. So much diversity, endless things to do, worldly vibes....

Forget the scenery argument though. The hills outside of New York City and the Atlantic (which offers the same kind of surfing as Lake Michigan, aka, weak and non-existant) are nowhere near as breathtaking as the mountains out West. Not even close.

The best thing scenery wise that New York offers that beats LA are amazing autumns, spring blooms, and white Christmases. Oh, and beautiful urban parks that LA doesn't have at all.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:11 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post

Forget the scenery argument though. The hills outside of New York City and the Atlantic (which offers the same kind of surfing as Lake Michigan, aka, weak and non-existant) are nowhere near as breathtaking as the mountains out West. Not even close. .
Scenery and general pleasantries in climate is not a reason people are living back east. That isn't to say people here aren't into them, honestly with how green and beautiful the Hudson Valley is, it's not bad, even if it isn't as tall as places out west or even as green (the Cascadia). I think for someone like me, I like the east's New York more because it's a feel-great city at the ground level, that's where for me, it's best. I'm not that great with the outdoors, usually I hate getting scrapes and cuts and things like that for no reason, meaning when I get back to the city, wearing shorts is out of the question. It's not necessary for me in a normal week, maybe like memorial day weekend or something, a quick hike access is refreshing. I'd rather be doing something else in an area with stronger cellular phone service. So I keep my natural expectations modest in Bos-Wash. Last time I went hiking for a forest rave, I touched some plant with pines on it and dozens of them crept their way into my palm skin, I tried to get it out with my other hand and got some stuck on that as well, just a nightmare for me. I like to look at scenery, not touch, but I'm glad to say that I can understand those who are naturists though. That's their appeal. The surf (not a surfer) and hike pales to the west, true, but they aren't as many people enthused about doing it. The ones who are eventually make their way out west for it either way.

I wont argue with coastal California's climate however, San Diego and Los Angeles are way pleasant probably in times like now. Bone-chilling cold is not my thing. Bring back heat season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont think you can out offer New York City in N America, so if your lucky enough that one of those odd things, is your thing then great. Increasingly fringe offerings like that or groups gather via internet too. In general you are right, but I dont think you intended it, your wiki link didnt mention NYC.....
I'm not into any of those things I referenced, don't be illogical, I wouldn't ever go walking around with a zombie mask and fake flood with a collective in some park. That's weird. However my point is that there ARE people who are like this and these people can live in some city that where they're just following other peoples' examples, or they can choose to reside in New York and have people to relate to somewhere in the city and lead their own examples. It's a lifestyle choice, either a place has got it or not.

Yes because those who are fans of Bobby Fishers' chess may meet up in a building and then subsequently leave as a "collective" to go to parks like Washington Square Park, in Manhattan, where they're amongst other people with a plethora of interests, including theirs of chess. That's something the Internet cannot substitute for, like ever. Or how about fans of history meeting up in the world's greatest public libraries. It's just a plethora of social mixes sewn together by a plethora of ideal amenities.

New York is a cultural show, it's got to be the city with the best collection of things to do day-in-day-out on this side of the planet by far. Cosmopolitanism from New York's angle isn't people of different skin colors and tongues coming together, it's an innovative cultural mecca, forget ethnic enclaves, New York's got creative enclaves tucked away in parts of it's city. I also think a reasonable argument could be made for Los Angeles to have these things to a high degree too, it's probably true. However, the Bay Area? I've been to San Francisco quite a bit and I'll always have to keep going back to San Francisco, if I want to maintain relations with the familia, but in all the times I've seen it, I've never seen that same type of city that is New York or even Los Angeles. While San Francisco boasts impressive and stacked amenities and cultures, it still feels like a small limitation compared to New York. Honestly, San Francisco is way way closer to the cool Chicago, or Boston's, Washington's, Philadelphia's, Miami's, (and so on so forth) of the country than it is to the megacities New York or Los Angeles.

Sorry about the link. I just thought you'd Google zombie crawl culture in New York. It's one of the more common and hyped about underground subcultures in the city. Not to pull a Trimac, but cant believe you haven't at least heard of it in passing somewhere. Like here. I mean like the link in the last post, at least a dozen cities world wide (including one here in the United States by the name of Chicago) have one. New York's got a goldmine of more underground subcultures, probably one for just about any sort of person out there.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 12-11-2013 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City